Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by Craig Lipski on Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:28 am
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Member #:00495
I’ve been trying to photograph a Mexican Fritillary chrysalis.  What I tried, but failed to capture and present, was that some parts are really shiny and reflective - it looks like Christmas Tree tinsel.  They came out white.  I tried various exposures to avoid blowing out those highlights, (and succeeded at not totally blowing them out,) and played with anything and everything I could think of in PS.  Is this possible?  Any tips?

Last edited by Craig Lipski on Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

by signgrap on Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:41 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Have you tried using a polarizing filter?
Rotate the filter till you see the least amount of highlights.
You also may want to use a flash or other supplemental light to control light direction while using the polarizing filter.
Dick Ludwig

by Craig Lipski on Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:06 am
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Member #:00495
signgrap wrote:Have you tried using a polarizing filter?
Rotate the filter till you see the least amount of highlights.
You also may want to use a flash or other supplemental light to control light direction while using the polarizing filter.
I’ll try that; thanks!

by Robert on Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:00 pm
Robert
Forum Contributor
Fill flash dialed down to -1 2/3 stops is a tried and true macro technique that I was taught. That's a mild enough amount of light to illuminate details but not look apparently flashed. Direct the light at a 30-45 degree angle to the subject for best result and a slightly 3 dimensional effect. The digital polarizing filter sounds like a good way in post processing too when fill flash wasn't used to begin with.

Also helpful in the field is to use the gold reflector to shine a little extra warm light on your subject. That will make your subject sparkle, adjust the angle of the reflector while looking through the viewfinder for the best result.

4 posts |