Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
by Wildflower-nut on Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:25 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
What am i loosing with home rather than pro?  I've always had the pro versions in windows 7.  I know I will loose bitlocker which I can tolerate.  Dos programs seem to require an emulator but not the pro version of windows.

What am I missing?

by photoman4343 on Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:28 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Check out the table with comparisons amont the win 10 versions at this link. (Do not ask me what they mean however.)

https://wincom.blob.core.windows.net/do ... arison.pdf
Joe Smith

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:45 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
One difference not in the table linked above is the maximum addressable memory. It's 128GB for home and 512GB for pro. For most people that won't make a difference. Also in Pro, in a very convoluted, undocumented and roundabout way, you can turn off automatic updates. My personal experience is that I had tons of problems with Home and have never had a problem with Pro but that's likely just me and the things I do.

by signgrap on Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:20 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
E.J. Peiker wrote:One difference not in the table linked above is the maximum addressable memory.  It's 128GB for home and 512GB for pro.  For most people that won't make a difference.  Also in Pro, in a very convoluted, undocumented and roundabout way, you can turn off automatic updates.  My personal experience is that I had tons of problems with Home and have never had a problem with Pro but that's likely just me and the things I do.
My experience with Pro is similar as I too have found it more stable. We have 2 desktops with Pro and 2 laptops with home. We don't use the laptops to process images, just use them to cull when traveling - don't want to have a big investment in laptops sitting idle most of the time. I will be building a new computer soon and will use Pro as the OS.
Dick Ludwig

by Wildflower-nut on Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:02 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
the xps 15 version with the i9 chip will not run the pro version.  Don't know why.  The big/only difference between that chip and the i7 seems to be a 20% faster cycle rate.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:17 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Wildflower-nut wrote:the xps 15 version with the i9 chip will not run the pro version.  Don't know why.  The big/only difference between that chip and the i7 seems to be a 20% faster cycle rate.
Can you please provide a link on this? 
Dell sells the XPS i9 with Win 10 Pro!
https://tinyurl.com/y8dr8f4g

by Wildflower-nut on Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:58 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-la ... igurations
gives you no pro option.

I have discovered if you start with the with the i7 version, it will allow you to upgrade to the i9 with the pro option. at times it comes back saying operating system selection error. may be a bug in their website as I don't understand why it would not run the pro version.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-la ... %253D%253D

Which do you think would be better the i9 or i7.  i9 seems to have a faster cycle rate but lacks a lower tdp option

https://ark.intel.com/products/134903/I ... -4-80-GHz-
https://ark.intel.com/products/134906/I ... -4-10-GHz-
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Wildflower-nut wrote:the xps 15 version with the i9 chip will not run the pro version.  Don't know why.  The big/only difference between that chip and the i7 seems to be a 20% faster cycle rate.
Can you please provide a link on this? 
Dell sells the XPS i9 with Win 10 Pro!
https://tinyurl.com/y8dr8f4g

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:03 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
That's a quirk with their ordering system or their stupid configurations which has always been a problem with Dell. But you can most definitely get and use an i9 with Win 10 Pro. There's nothing about it that "won't run" as you put it ;)

If you can keep the i9 cool, it will be substantially faster due to several factors, not just the single core clock frequency. But the problem is keeping it from thermal throttling. All thinm and light computers, like the i9, MacBook Pro etc suffer from thermal throttling of the i9 processor under moderate to heavy loads. While both manufacturers have addressed it as well as they can through firmware, it still happens and can happen frequently, especially if rendering video. Under that scenario, the i7, which does not thermal throttle very often has an advantage. All that said, even if you can keep the i9 nice and cool, I think the top spec i7 gives you a better price/performance ratio.

by Wildflower-nut on Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:25 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:That's a quirk with their ordering system or their stupid configurations which has always been a problem with Dell.  But you can most definitely get and use an i9 with Win 10 Pro.  There's nothing about it that "won't run" as you put it ;)

If you can keep the i9 cool, it will be substantially faster due to several factors, not just the single core clock frequency.  But the problem is keeping it from thermal throttling.  All thinm and light computers, like the i9, MacBook Pro etc suffer from thermal throttling of the i9 processor under moderate to heavy loads.  While both manufacturers have addressed it as well as they can through firmware, it still happens and can happen frequently, especially if rendering video.  Under that scenario, the i7, which does not thermal throttle very often has an advantage.  All that said, even if you can keep the i9 nice and cool, I think the top spec i7 gives you a better price/performance ratio.

really appreciate your input.  I guess i will go with the i7.  A little curious, how do you keep the i9 cool?  Is photoshop rendering of stills the same as rending video?

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:07 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Wildflower-nut wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:That's a quirk with their ordering system or their stupid configurations which has always been a problem with Dell.  But you can most definitely get and use an i9 with Win 10 Pro.  There's nothing about it that "won't run" as you put it ;)

If you can keep the i9 cool, it will be substantially faster due to several factors, not just the single core clock frequency.  But the problem is keeping it from thermal throttling.  All thinm and light computers, like the i9, MacBook Pro etc suffer from thermal throttling of the i9 processor under moderate to heavy loads.  While both manufacturers have addressed it as well as they can through firmware, it still happens and can happen frequently, especially if rendering video.  Under that scenario, the i7, which does not thermal throttle very often has an advantage.  All that said, even if you can keep the i9 nice and cool, I think the top spec i7 gives you a better price/performance ratio.

really appreciate your input.  I guess i will go with the i7.  A little curious, how do you keep the i9 cool?  Is photoshop rendering of stills the same as rending video?
Google laptop cooling pads for a number of solutions

Some functions in Photoshop are extremely processor intensive but nothing like video rendering.

by Wildflower-nut on Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:56 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Thanks. The cooling pads are interesting but seem to be something for a fixed location not true portability. It sounds like the i7 is the ticket.

by Littlefield on Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:59 pm
Littlefield
Forum Contributor
Get Windows 10 Pro for this reason read this :
Don
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... lling.html

12 posts |