All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 26 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Sat May 25, 2019 1:03 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Even with that, there comes a time when MS just installs the updates. It doesn't do version updates if you do that but maintenance stuff will occur anyway at some point. It happened to me recently - for example, sometime last year Intel changed it's video drivers which made it fundamentally incompatible with both Capture One and Topaz Studio. even though I have it set to not ever update anything like that, every once in a while MS just does it anyway rendering my Surface Pro 6 useless for any imaging work. Fortunately I was able to go into Intel's archives and retrieve a video driver from before that change. Every time it does happen, which is about every 6 months ago. I just manually install the old video driver and then everything works again. MS does this in the background, you do not know that it's happening until one day you shut down the system and you get the screen that says to not power down until it finishes installing updates. it's maddening and this is with Windows 10 pro - on the Home version, there is almost nothing you can do to prevent updates and if you do what I did, the very next time you start up Windows it just updates again.

by DChan on Sat May 25, 2019 5:45 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Wildflower-nut wrote:I'm setting up a new laptop on windows 10.  Is using the group policy editor to change automatic updates to option 2  notify for download and notify for install the best way to go?  What is discussed here seems to simply delays the install.
You'd likely be reading posts on the internet from people who have issues. Just a fact about the internet. What you don't hear is from those who have no issues with Windows, i.e., the silent majority.

by Wildflower-nut on Mon May 27, 2019 3:07 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Is it time to reconsider apple?

by signgrap on Mon May 27, 2019 6:30 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Nope.
Dick Ludwig

by E.J. Peiker on Tue May 28, 2019 3:40 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Wildflower-nut wrote:Is it time to reconsider apple?
No, Apple is openly hostile to legacy software and has turned OSX into iOS junior and insulates the user from way too many things.

by Wildflower-nut on Tue May 28, 2019 7:07 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
So for now there really is no plan "B"

26 posts |