Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by Wildflower-nut on Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:54 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
My current laptop is a macbook pro running windows 7 using bootcamp.  It is a 13", i7 chip, 16gb memory and two 1tb ssd drives.  I'm replacing the laptop as the "c" dirve is almost full partially because of the way it is partitioned to support both windows and the apple operating system.  I also want to move to windows 10 as support for 7 will expire soon.  Also afraid of what is next.  Each new generation of windows has a lot of bugs and the next version like windows 10 is what I would call windows 8 fixed.

Would prefer a straight windows machine that at a minimum matches my current machines specs.  It seems to me there are limited choices most in the "game" type unit and most having larger than a 13" screen.  Like at least usb 3.1 speed on ports.

Any thoughts?

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:25 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Check out the Dell XPS line!

by Wildflower-nut on Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:47 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
the xps in the 13" is same size but short on disk storage. no step up in memory or disk size.  looks like latest i/o ports.

the xps in the 15" is a little larger and seems to fit the bill.  no step up in memory or disk size.  looks like latest i/o ports

alienware 13"  7th generation cpu.  step up on memory 32gb, disk size the same.  not the latest i/o ports

sager 13"  same size, step up in memory and disk size.  short on i/o ports.  most usb 3.0 one firewire 3.0/usb 3.1 combo
sager 15" seems the sky is the limit.

correction.  there is an xps 15" with 32gb of memory but again no step up in disk size.  choice of i7 or i9 chip

How much memory do I really need.  16gb enough?  I move this machine around the country and plug it into an external keyboard and monitor and want to be able to use it to run photoshop.  I don't really see a difference between the i7 and i9 chips.

by Wildflower-nut on Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:07 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
ordered xps 15 as you suggested with i7 chip. 32gb and 2TB. Windows 10 pro. Frankly, I didn't see anything wrong with DOS or windows 98.

4 posts |