« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by Bill Chambers on Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:23 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Good morning.  I would like to upgrade my Win 7 Pro on my desktop to Win 10 Pro.  Those of you who know me know I'm pretty much a techno-dud.  I called the computer place I use for repairs and they asked a bunch of questions like brand of computer, the needed to even know the serial number of the computer, plus a couple of other things before they could even tell me if it could be upgraded.  Is all that really necessary?  I've been told my others it's an easy process, but now I don't know who to believe.  I was told by the person who said it was easy that all I would need to do is back-up everything on C: Drive and then download Win 10 Pro and install it.  Is it really that easy?  Should a techno-dud be able to accomplish this?  Thanks in advance.
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

Last edited by Bill Chambers on Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Mike in O on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:18 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Actually win7 is the basis for subsequent upgrades that MS put out (8 & 10). Win 10 is the last according to MS but who knows. I would think it would upgrade seamlessly but a clean install may be better. I know 8 was very easy to upgrade.

by Mark Robinson on Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:40 am
Mark Robinson
Forum Contributor
Bill Chambers wrote:Good morning.  I would like to upgrade by Win 7 Pro on my desktop to Win 10 Pro.  Those of you who know me know I'm pretty much a techno-dud.  I called the computer place I use for repairs and they asked a bunch of questions like brand of computer, the needed to even know the serial number of the computer, plus a couple of other things before they could even tell me if it could be upgraded.  Is all that really necessary?  I've been told my others it's an easy process, but now I don't know who to believe.  I was told by the person who said it was easy that all I would need to do is back-up everything on C: Drive and then download Win 10 Pro and install it.  Is it really that easy?  Should a techno-dud be able to accomplish this?  Thanks in advance.

Hi Bill,

I am far from a real tech person, but I had no issues doing exactly what you are asking on three computers. Microsoft was giving away the upgrade when I did it, but as I recall, it was just downloading the update and following simple instructions. No special skills needed. After the update, I was and am completely satisfied with Win 10.

Good luck.
Mark Robinson
http://www.critterlight.com

by bartley123 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:15 pm
bartley123
Forum Contributor
Good article here on exactly what you'r doing.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/hands-on- ... eal-world/
Don Cooper
Western Mass.
http://www.doncooper.photos

by signgrap on Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:54 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Bill Chambers wrote:Good morning.  I would like to upgrade by Win 7 Pro on my desktop to Win 10 Pro.  Those of you who know me know I'm pretty much a techno-dud.  I called the computer place I use for repairs and they asked a bunch of questions like brand of computer, the needed to even know the serial number of the computer, plus a couple of other things before they could even tell me if it could be upgraded.  Is all that really necessary?  I've been told my others it's an easy process, but now I don't know who to believe.  I was told by the person who said it was easy that all I would need to do is back-up everything on C: Drive and then download Win 10 Pro and install it.  Is it really that easy?  Should a techno-dud be able to accomplish this?  Thanks in advance.
The reason they asked so my questions about your current computer is that they wanted to make certain that your computer was powerful enough to run Win 10. A few people who had older computers that were under powered HAD MAJOR PROBLEMS and actually had to revert back to Win 7 after installing Win 10 because their computer's weren't able to to run Win 10. 
Just as long as your computer is powerful enough you should have no problems. I would assume it is powerful enough if it was configured to process RAW images and PS. However if it currently is marginal i.e. struggles when processing large files then I'd recommend you consider getting a new computer because if it struggles in Win 7 it will struggle even more in Win 10. Or just stay with Win 7 if you don't want to spend the money.
Dick Ludwig

by Bill Chambers on Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:02 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Thank you all for your answers and advice! I appreciate it very much.
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:16 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Make sure you have complete backups of EVERYTHING just in case there is a glitch.

7 posts |