« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 47 posts | 
by WJaekel on Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:14 am
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
Though maybe a bit out of topic, there's another point to consider, too: If you don't want or cannot follow the route to install the latest win10 version because your whole system is based on win 7, win 8 etc,. and you therefore want to terminate the subscription, you cannot simply go back to your perpetual CS6 version that you maybe have kept simulanously on your HD. From what I read,  CC takes over the management of CS6, too and the serial number will be changed. Just to use the old licence number evidentally doesn't work anymore. You have to give Adobe remote access to your computer to fix that. If this isn't possible or doesn't work, you have to remove ALL Adobe files from your  PC and try to reinstall CS6 from the scratch after that. I guess it will be the same with LR, so that you loose the access to your perpetual LR 6.x  app once the CC subscription is terminated. I don't know if things are different if you had deleted your perpetual CS6/LR6 versions before subcribing to CC  But I think quite a few people have kept their perpetual versions for emergency in case the CC expires, crashes or they don't want to continue for whatever reason. Given that this is true, it's another reason for me to stick with C1 and CS6 though Adobe recently has offered a discount on the photographic CC model.
A bit older, but still valid, I think:

https://creativepro.com/the-digital-art ... c-expires/

Wolfgang

by Martin 095 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:33 am
Martin 095
Lifetime Member
Member #:01126
"DNG conversion is a pain in the butt and takes a long time."

Hi Roberta,

I can only speak from my personal experiences, but way back when I first started in digital photography, I was using a Nikon D2x.  My NEF files were on average 30 Mb files, but when saved as DNGs that size was reduced to just 20 Mb.  Back then HDs were more expensive, and much more limited in available sizes.  Additionally, my only two choices to work with the original NEFs were either Nikon software, which IMO just sucked, or ACR from Adobe.  As a result converting my NEFs to DNGs became a part of my workflow, and I never thought to change it.  Even today, I convert all my D800 images to DNGs (batch convert in Bridge) – there is no longer any file size benefit, but it doesn't ever take very long either.  FWIW, I am using a 10 yr old Mac, running an OS that is about 4 yrs old, and using PS CS5 and LR6.  I store all my NEFs as originals, but all the processing I do starts with my DNG files.  I have never had a problem with DNG files, and until something breaks to the point where I can no longer fix it, I will continue to use archaic software on an old computer.  Some would argue against, but there is simplicity in ignorance – my system works for me, and I see no need to change because Adobe, Apple, or anyone else is trying to force my hand.
Best wishes,

Martin
"[i]If there is a sin against life, it consists, perhaps not so much in despairing of life, as hoping for another life and eluding the implacable grandeur of this life[/i]." - Albert Camus

by neverspook on Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:10 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
WJaekel wrote:Though maybe a bit out of topic, there's another point to consider, too: If you don't want or cannot follow the route to install the latest win10 version because your whole system is based on win 7, win 8 etc,. and you therefore want to terminate the subscription, you cannot simply go back to your perpetual CS6 version that you maybe have kept simulanously on your HD. From what I read,  CC takes over the management of CS6, too and the serial number will be changed. Just to use the old licence number evidentally doesn't work anymore. You have to give Adobe remote access to your computer to fix that. If this isn't possible or doesn't work, you have to remove ALL Adobe files from your  PC and try to reinstall CS6 from the scratch after that. I guess it will be the same with LR, so that you loose the access to your perpetual LR 6.x  app once the CC subscription is terminated. I don't know if things are different if you had deleted your perpetual CS6/LR6 versions before subcribing to CC  But I think quite a few people have kept their perpetual versions for emergency in case the CC expires, crashes or they don't want to continue for whatever reason. Given that this is true, it's another reason for me to stick with C1 and CS6 though Adobe recently has offered a discount on the photographic CC model.

Wolfgang
Thanks for that, Wolfgang. A bit alarming!
At the end of the link you gave, it says, "[font="Open Sans", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]In any event, now that I know what I know, I’ll likely download any available updates to the original CS6 installer—so if this situation does occur without my ability (or willingness) to cede my computer control to Adobe, I will be able to get back to work with my files."  [/font]
 Can you tell me how to do that through the CS6 installer?

Thanks,
Roberta

by neverspook on Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:11 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
Martin 095 wrote:"DNG conversion is a pain in the butt and takes a long time."

Hi Roberta,

I can only speak from my personal experiences, but way back when I first started in digital photography, I was using a Nikon D2x.  My NEF files were on average 30 Mb files, but when saved as DNGs that size was reduced to just 20 Mb.  Back then HDs were more expensive, and much more limited in available sizes.  Additionally, my only two choices to work with the original NEFs were either Nikon software, which IMO just sucked, or ACR from Adobe.  As a result converting my NEFs to DNGs became a part of my workflow, and I never thought to change it.  Even today, I convert all my D800 images to DNGs (batch convert in Bridge) – there is no longer any file size benefit, but it doesn't ever take very long either.  FWIW, I am using a 10 yr old Mac, running an OS that is about 4 yrs old, and using PS CS5 and LR6.  I store all my NEFs as originals, but all the processing I do starts with my DNG files.  I have never had a problem with DNG files, and until something breaks to the point where I can no longer fix it, I will continue to use archaic software on an old computer.  Some would argue against, but there is simplicity in ignorance – my system works for me, and I see no need to change because Adobe, Apple, or anyone else is trying to force my hand.

Glad it works for you.

by WJaekel on Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:50 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
Hi Roberta,

the article I linked to was posted in December 2016, so I'm not sure if it still works in the way as it is described there since Adobe is trying to pull everybody to the subscription model and hide (or remove) the perpetual applications. Anyway, I found the links below:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2309727
https://helpx.adobe.com/download-instal ... loads.html

I have not tried it yet. because I already have CS6 installed and don't plan to use the CC version. So the problem will not affect me for now. Of course, you need a valid serial number for the activation of CS6 .
Hope that helps

Wolfgang

by Tim Zurowski on Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:38 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
WJaekel wrote:Though maybe a bit out of topic, there's another point to consider, too: If you don't want or cannot follow the route to install the latest win10 version because your whole system is based on win 7, win 8 etc,. and you therefore want to terminate the subscription, you cannot simply go back to your perpetual CS6 version that you maybe have kept simulanously on your HD. From what I read,  CC takes over the management of CS6, too and the serial number will be changed. Just to use the old licence number evidentally doesn't work anymore. You have to give Adobe remote access to your computer to fix that. If this isn't possible or doesn't work, you have to remove ALL Adobe files from your  PC and try to reinstall CS6 from the scratch after that. I guess it will be the same with LR, so that you loose the access to your perpetual LR 6.x  app once the CC subscription is terminated. I don't know if things are different if you had deleted your perpetual CS6/LR6 versions before subcribing to CC  But I think quite a few people have kept their perpetual versions for emergency in case the CC expires, crashes or they don't want to continue for whatever reason. Given that this is true, it's another reason for me to stick with C1 and CS6 though Adobe recently has offered a discount on the photographic CC model.

Wolfgang
Thank you very much for that info and link Wolfgang :)

I am very seriously considering cancelling my CC subscription and going back to CS6. Only problem for me is the same as Roberta; i.e. the version of ACR in CS6 does not support my D500 files. I too find converting to DNG a PITA! So my only option then would be to get another RAW conversion program. Capture One would be the obvious choice. but at $401 CAD, it is a very pricey option. Is DXO Photolab a RAW conversion software, and is it a decent choice in lieu of C1?

So can you (or anyone else) explain to us exactly what we need to do to completely get rid of all Adobe remnants? I typically use CCleaner for removing apps, but I am uncertain if it will remove everything to allow a fresh install of CS6. Also, will it require an internet connection to Adobe to activate CS6? Will I have to remove Adobe Flash and Adobe Acrobat, since they are both Adobe products? A full explanation of what is required to get out of CC and back to CS6 would be greatly appreciated :)

by signgrap on Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:50 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Tim, try Revo Uninstaller the free version
https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_un ... nload.html
E.J. recommended this for getting everything removed when uninstalling software.
I've used it a couple of times and it seems to get everything.
Dick Ludwig

by Tim Zurowski on Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:04 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
signgrap wrote:Tim, try Revo Uninstaller the free version
E.J. recommended this for getting everything removed when uninstalling software.
Thanks Dick. Will the Free version of Revo be sufficient or would we need the Pro version?

by neverspook on Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:26 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
WJaekel wrote:Hi Roberta,

the article I linked to was posted in December 2016, so I'm not sure if it still works in the way as it is described there since Adobe is trying to pull everybody to the subscription model and hide (or remove) the perpetual applications. Anyway, I found the links below:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2309727
https://helpx.adobe.com/download-instal ... loads.html

I have not tried it yet. because I already have CS6 installed and don't plan to use the CC version. So the problem will not affect me for now. Of course, you need a valid serial number for the activation of CS6 .
Hope that helps

Wolfgang
Thank you, Wolfgang.

by WJaekel on Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:59 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
Tim, as to your first question, I have both C1 and DxO Photolab installed and yes, the latest version of DxO is a pretty good Raw converter, too. I personally would maybe give C1 a very small advantage regarding detail rendering , but on the other hand the algorithm for noise reduction is superior in DxO. DxO provides a lot of lens profiles and is very good for architectural corrections (which is not so important for nature photographers, of course). I mostly use C1 since I have Neatimage and Define for additional noise reduction. That said, I don't think you would go wrong with DxO. It's more or less a matter of personal preference and requirements, IMO.

Regarding the second point, I'm sorry that I cannot provide a detailed instruction of the best routine to get rid of all the Adobe CC files because I don't have CC installed and therefore don't know where the remnants are spread on the computer. I don't know either if Adobe Flash and Acrobat need to be reinstalled, too. I guess that all the programs that had been installed through the Adobe Application Manager in consequence to the subscription probably are managed by CC then. On the other hand, I did a bit of search and there are some reports that state that the perpetual version of CS6 still is working after the termination of the subscription. This would contradict the experiences posted in the article linked above. See for example here (if you scroll down to #5):

https://forums.adobe.com/message/4732889#4732889

So if I were in the position to cancel the subscription, I probably would try to start CS6 after the termination prior to removing everything. Maybe it depends if you had installed the perpetual CS6 version before you entered into the subscription or afterwards through the Adobe Application Manager. I also came across an article that refers to a "cloud version of CS6" , too (see first paragraph of the "solution")

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/up ... -131x.html

Maybe this is the origin of the confusion.
Anyway, if you deactivate CS6 or reinstall it, you need an internet connection to activate the license number. Again, I'm sorry that I cannot provide more informations at this point. I just was very surprised to read about the problems going back to CS6 which are reported in the arcticle I linked to in my first comment and therefore thought to post that here.

Wolfgang

by DChan on Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:21 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
WJaekel wrote:... the latest version of DxO is a pretty good Raw converter, too. I personally would maybe give C1 a very small advantage regarding detail rendering...
To me, I don't think that's true anymore.

by Tim Zurowski on Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:22 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Thanks again Wolfgang

With regards to DXO vs C1, since I don't need more in a RAW converter than what ACR offered, and DXO is half the price of C1, I would probably go with DXO. I did download the trial for C1 about a year ago and found it to be overkill and too complicated for my needs. I will download the trial for DXO and give it a try.

I had CS6 installed and working before I went with the CC subscription. I then uninstalled it after I got the subscription. I can't remember if I deactivated it or not, but if that was required to uninstall it, then I probably did. I do remember it being a bit of a hassle with Adobe getting CS6 activated originally, so I hope they don't make it even more difficult to do when you cancel the CC subscription. I can see them being difficult with that. Anyway, if/when I do this, I will report back with any issues or problems with the change.

by MND on Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:03 am
MND
Forum Contributor
Tim Zurowski wrote:Thanks again Wolfgang

With regards to DXO vs C1, since I don't need more in a RAW converter than what ACR offered, and DXO is half the price of C1, I would probably go with DXO. I did download the trial for C1 about a year ago and found it to be overkill and too complicated for my needs. I will download the trial for DXO and give it a try.

I had CS6 installed and working before I went with the CC subscription. I then uninstalled it after I got the subscription. I can't remember if I deactivated it or not, but if that was required to uninstall it, then I probably did. I do remember it being a bit of a hassle with Adobe getting CS6 activated originally, so I hope they don't make it even more difficult to do when you cancel the CC subscription. I can see them being difficult with that. Anyway, if/when I do this, I will report back with any issues or problems with the change.
Tim,

Sooner or later CS6 is not going to work. I think you’ll have one hell of a game trying to get it to work again anyway. Why not just bite the bullet and get Affinity. Just convert using the latest version of NX-D and import into Affinity. 

Just my suggestion. 

Cheers

by signgrap on Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:11 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Tim Zurowski wrote:
signgrap wrote:Tim, try Revo Uninstaller the free version
Thanks Dick. Will the Free version of Revo be sufficient or would we need the Pro version?
The free version has been enough for me but to get a definitive answer E.J. would have to answer your question.
However when I look at the comparison of paid vs. free, the free version should be enough to remove Adobe software, on the other hand if you were removing anti-virus software which works its way into ALL areas of your computer a paid version may be a better option. 
Dick Ludwig

by Tim Zurowski on Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:13 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
MND wrote:

Tim,

Sooner or later CS6 is not going to work. I think you’ll have one hell of a game trying to get it to work again anyway. Why not just bite the bullet and get Affinity. Just convert using the latest version of NX-D and import into Affinity. 

Just my suggestion. 

Cheers
I hear ya, which is why I have the trial version of Affinity in my system again right now. Problem for me is that I have been using PS for so long now (15 years), and I have times when I need to process dozens of files in a few hours. With PS, I can process a file within 1 to 2 minutes, but with Affinity (because I have to re-learn the program) it can take me over an hour to process the same file. 

BTW, you do not need and external RAW editor  with Affinity. It has it's own built in RAW conversion like PS has with ACR. I really do not like NX-D and would definitely want a better RAW conversion app than that.

by MND on Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:57 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
Tim Zurowski wrote:
MND wrote:

Tim,

Just my suggestion. 

Cheers
I hear ya, which is why I have the trial version of Affinity in my system again right now. Problem for me is that I have been using PS for so long now (15 years), and I have times when I need to process dozens of files in a few hours. With PS, I can process a file within 1 to 2 minutes, but with Affinity (because I have to re-learn the program) it can take me over an hour to process the same file. 

BTW, you do not need and external RAW editor  with Affinity. It has it's own built in RAW conversion like PS has with ACR. I really do not like NX-D and would definitely want a better RAW conversion app than that.
Hey Tim,

yep I know that Affinity has it's own Raw Converter but I've read that its not as good as ACR or C1. I just thought the Nikon Raw Converter might do a better job which is the only reason I suggested it not having used it myself.

I understand that Affinity is a huge learning curve that I am reluctant to learn m myself. I just know I'm going to have to soon.

C'mon, be a pioneer and learn how to use it. Then you can tell the rest of us how it works.  :lol:

Cheers

by Mike in O on Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:21 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
What is nice about DXO is that it can be as automated as you want, no learning curve to speak of.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:41 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Affinity is a super capable Photoshop replacement but some plug-ins don't work right, like the Nik Suite and Topaz Studio has some color issues with it as well. Also the RAW conversion of Affinity is not in the same league as ACR/LR which isn't in the same league as C1 Pro. But as a straight Photoshop replacement, it is outstanding and if you are using CS6 and need some function that CS6 doesn't have like median stacking, then it's great.

by Tim Zurowski on Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:35 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Correct that Affinity's RAW conversion is not as good as ACR, but it is still better than NX-D ;) I think DXO and Affinity would be a very powerful combo for a very fair price. Just need to spend the time to learn Affinity, which could take some time. I know Affinity has its own way of doing all the PS stuff, like Content Aware, Actions, layers, masking, etc. etc. It just isn't apparent how to do it all without going through lots of tutorials and asking at the forums. I have no qualms about Affinity being capable though. I already own CS6 and already know very well how to use it.

by DChan on Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:20 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
As long as CS6 is working, you don't need Affinity (especially you have DxO handling the raw file).

Then again, Affinity is cheap (the reason I bought it esp with discount back then) and so it doesn't cost much to keep it around.

47 posts |