All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by calvin1calvin on Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:31 pm
calvin1calvin
Forum Contributor
Member #:00184
I have a Iomega external hard drive that I think has failed.  The power light blinks on/off and I cannot hear the drive spinning.  Two questions:  has the drive failed?  If so can I retrieve the data?  Is it possible just the power cable is bad?  I changed from an Apple to PC a couple of years ago and think all my back up data is on an original Apple drive that my PC will not read.  Is there a way to retrieve the data from the Apple formatted drive?  Thanks for the help.  

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:09 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It has likely failed or at least the electronics in the drive have failed. Hopefully you had a backup, if not, a lesson learned ;) All drives fail, it is not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. It isn't the power cable or you wouldn't have the light, you can try replacing the data cable but it is unlikely that it will fix the problem.

Here's something you can try, put the drive in a baggie with a desicant pack, then put it in the freezer for 6 hours. Then take it out, immediately connect it and if it is accessible, immediately copy the data to another drive - you have one chance at this. If that does not work and you truly need to retrieve the data you are into very expensive hard drive data recovery services which you can Google for a place that does this type of work in your area. If the drive needs to be taken apart and the platters transferred to another drive, you could be looking at well over a $1000

by Andrew_5488 on Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:14 am
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
It could be power supply or HD. You could open up the case and remove HD and try to mount it using dock (you can buy those for less than $20).
As far as mounting Mac drives on PC here're few suggestions:
https://www.howtogeek.com/252111/how-to ... indows-pc/

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:49 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Yes, Andrew has a good idea to zero in on if it's the drive or the case. Remove the drive from the case and plug it into an external dock.

by calvin1calvin on Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:23 pm
calvin1calvin
Forum Contributor
Member #:00184
It was the case. The drive was in good shape and something happened to the case, which I do not know, new case and copied the images to another drive prior to installing another case. Back in business with this drive as a backup. FYI, the images on the drive had been backed up to another drive previous to the case failure. It had been so long since using that drive I was not sure what was on it. Thanks a bunch for the help.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:17 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Great news, it's usually that the heat from the drive fries the case electronics in external drives that are not actively ventilated. All drives should be actively ventilated (usually meaning a fan) for maximum longevity of not only the drive but any electronics around them.

6 posts |