Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by Craig Lipski on Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:00 pm
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Member #:00495
I'm currently using CS6, and have fairly recently added the Nik Collection, including Sharpener Pro 3.  Doing lots of reading, I've realized that I really don't have a good grasp of pre-sharpening.  Most of the articles / tutorials, whatever, say something nebulous along the lines of, "you just want to take away some of the inherent softness caused my digital imaging and anti-aliasing filters; don't overdo it here."  Not a lot of help.  I've been using the ACR sharpener, set at 25, based on something I read here, years ago.  Can anyone provide me better info/guidelines?  Is what I'm doing fine?  Would I be better off using the Nik pre-sharpener?  At what setting?  Is it image / subject dependent?  All in all, I think I do OK, but am always willing / eager to learn more.
Thanks in advance.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:29 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The first question would be what camera are you using? Depending on model, it may not have an AA filter...

by Craig Lipski on Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:03 pm
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Mainly a Canon 1D MkIV

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:53 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
OK, that has a very strong AA filter as do most Canon cameras. I think your current settings are appropriate for that camera.

by Craig Lipski on Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:13 pm
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
I’m still using PS & ACR (CC now,) but now also have a 5dIV- same recommendations?

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:55 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Craig Lipski wrote:I’m still using PS & ACR (CC now,) but now also have a 5dIV- same recommendations?
Yup!  Canon cameras use relatively strong AA filters.

by Craig Lipski on Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:39 am
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Thank you (again,) E.J!

by Charlie Woodrich on Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:45 pm
Charlie Woodrich
Forum Contributor
Not to let a good thread die. Any idea what the pre-sharpening settings in ACR and C1 should be on a Sony a7R3?

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:21 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Charlie Woodrich wrote:Not to let a good thread die. Any idea what the pre-sharpening settings in ACR and C1 should be on a Sony a7R3?
I don't know about the current version of ACR but C1 automatically picks the setting that Phase One came up with for that camera - it's part of the unique camera profile that they come up with for every single camera that they support.  I find that these are often a bit too harsh and back off the amount about 33% from the preset.

by Tom Robbins on Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:52 pm
Tom Robbins
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Charlie Woodrich wrote:Not to let a good thread die. Any idea what the pre-sharpening settings in ACR and C1 should be on a Sony a7R3?
I don't know about the current version of ACR but C1 automatically picks the setting that Phase One came up with for that camera - it's part of the unique camera profile that they come up with for every single camera that they support.  I find that these are often a bit too harsh and back off the amount about 33% from the preset.
That's an interesting suggestion regarding C1, E.J. I changed the sharpening default to zero when I noticed Phase One's heavy handedness, but will give the reduced amounts a go.

10 posts |