Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by Aaron Jors on Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:39 pm
Aaron Jors
Forum Contributor
In the next couple months I'm looking to upgrade my monitor setup to a dual 27" setup.  Based on the reviews here and elsewhere I've been looking at 2 brands NEC and BenQ.  At this point leaning towards 4K monitors.

In looking more into the NEC monitors it seems like there 27" 4K monitor EA275UHD-BK is less expensive than the Non 4K monitor PA272W-BK.  I've also noticed that the 4K monitor displays 78.1% Adobe RGB/?? bit LUT (can't find, maybe 8 bit) while the non 4K displays 99.3%/14 bit LUT.  Not what I expected.  Looking at BenQ their 27" 4K has 99% Adobe RGB/14 bit LUT.

Can someone help me better understand what this means in real world photo editing.  It seems like the NEC 4K monitor is not as geared toward photo editing as their 4K?

On somewhat of side topic I've read that some programs do not work well with 4K.  Photoshop CS6, Microsoft etc.  When I upgrade the monitors I will also be upgrading my PC and plan to adapt to the Adobe Subscription model, get the latest Microsoft versions etc.  These programs plus Canon DPP, web browsing, Downloader Pro, and some other minor programs area really all I use.

Due to this part of me wonders if it would make sense to get one of the monitors 4K and the other Non 4K.  4K would be used for photo editing and Non 4K for those programs that don't like the 4K.  Does this make sense or are most software programs to the point where they can now support 4K?

Thanks for the help.
http://www.aaroncjors.com

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:35 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
For a short and concise answer - I would not purchase a monitor that doesn't display the full Adobe RGB gamut. But if the only thinkg I were ever doing was Internet, then a monitor that only displays sRGB is fine, but if you do critical color work, print, or anything other than aninternet only photo experience, a full RGB gamut monitor is much better.

Photoshop CS6 works fine on a 4K monitor but it results in some very tiny fonts but this is easily correctible with a registry edit: Here's how it's done - I even use CS6 on a 4K 13" display with no trouble after this modification:
https://www.danantonielli.com/adobe-app ... plays-fix/

by richard bledsoe on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:34 am
richard bledsoe
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the link! My new 4k laptop just became usable with Photoshop. Happy Camper here!

3 posts |