All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by Martin 095 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:56 am
Martin 095
Lifetime Member
Member #:01126
I shot some images yesterday afternoon with a Nikon D3200 and as expected, the metadata for these files clearly shows the date created as 07/31/18.  I wasn't able to download these to my computer (MacPro, 10.10.5, Yosemite) until today, which unfortunately lists the date created as today (08/01/18).  When I have Bridge (CS5, v.4.0.5.11) rename my original NEF files to include the date created, it ignores the metadata date, and uses the creation date listed by my OS.  This isn't a big issue, but is there anyway I can set Bridge to rename using the date from the metadata instead?  TIA.
Best wishes,

Martin
"[i]If there is a sin against life, it consists, perhaps not so much in despairing of life, as hoping for another life and eluding the implacable grandeur of this life[/i]." - Albert Camus

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:11 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
That's the date created on your computer. The data in the EXIF data for the files is still 7/31. On my computer when I use the Date Created token in Bridge, it takes the date from the EXIF, not from the date put on my computer. This makes me wonder how you are importing the files onto your computer?

by Martin 095 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:15 am
Martin 095
Lifetime Member
Hi EJ,

Thanks for the quick reply. I transfer my images directly from the camera (I haven't gotten around to getting an SD card reader – I am using CF in my other camera) via Nikon transfer. Once on my computer, I open in bridge and rename.
Best wishes,

Martin
"[i]If there is a sin against life, it consists, perhaps not so much in despairing of life, as hoping for another life and eluding the implacable grandeur of this life[/i]." - Albert Camus

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:24 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
OK, that sounds good, now please let me know exactly how you go about renaming?

by Martin 095 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:52 pm
Martin 095
Lifetime Member
Hi EJ,

My Data and Time are set to date created, I have some text inserted to let me know the camera I used for this image, and then add a 4-5 digit sequence number.

I highlight all the images I want renamed, then hit batch rename (depending on the file, I either select the same folder and an alternate one). Again I presume when I set Bridge to use the date created it would use the date listed in the metadata, not the date generated by my OS.
Best wishes,

Martin

by Martin 095 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:59 pm
Martin 095
Lifetime Member
I just transferred images from my CF card (from my D800) and oddly when importing them with Nikon transfer the date shown for the image is the date it was taken, not when it was uploaded to my computer (i.e., it appears to be behaving as expected in this instance). So what's the difference?
Best wishes,

Martin

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:57 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Aha, you have run into a bug that has been in Bridge since day 1. If you do a batch rename before it is done rendering previews, it will use the current date rather than the file date. All you need to do is to go back to those files and do the batch rename again and it will self correct. Just always wait until Bridge is all done with the preview rendering. note how the images often look a little different when you first import them than they do a few minutes later?

by Martin 095 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:26 pm
Martin 095
Lifetime Member
Thanks for your help EJ, always appreciated.
Best wishes,

Martin

8 posts |