« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 14 posts | 
by Scott Fairbairn on Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:37 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Hi,
I've not kept up with Noise reduction software development so I'm wondering what software anyone could recommend. I've been playing around with a lot of different software packages since the demise of Aperture(NR was terrible with it as well, so I used plugins). Capture One doesn't impress me with NR and I'm wondering about this product, as I use Luminar 2018 occasionally.
https://skylum.com/noiseless
Thank you for any suggestions!
Scott

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:37 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I primarily use DFine which is a part of the Nik suite and have always been pretty happy with it. That said, it's old technology. I am going to start testing Topaz AI Clear as the concept behind it is next generation from what I have been using.

by Mike in O on Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:55 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Nothing comes close to dxo's prime NR.

by Scott Fairbairn on Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:36 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
IMike in O wrote:Nothing comes close to dxo's prime NR.

I haven’t been following DXO much, the last I heard they were bankrupt and filing for protection? I’d be a little concerned buying their product right now if that’s the case. 

by Mike in O on Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:18 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
It is under French equivalent of Chapter 13...still viable for all the camera and lenses. Think of it this way, if they go under, your software is not a subscription and will work fine forever and you will not be burdened with an expensive upgrade.

by Ed Cordes on Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:37 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
I have been using NIK Define for a long while.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by Rocky Sharwell on Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:53 am
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054
E.J. Peiker wrote:I primarily use DFine which is a part of the Nik suite and have always been pretty happy with it.  That said, it's old technology.  I am going to start testing Topaz AI Clear as the concept behind it is next generation from what I have been using.

I for some reason have really disliked the Topaz studio interface but having looked at the web 
page for AI clear might take another look.
Rocky Sharwell

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:03 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Rocky Sharwell wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:I primarily use DFine which is a part of the Nik suite and have always been pretty happy with it.  That said, it's old technology.  I am going to start testing Topaz AI Clear as the concept behind it is next generation from what I have been using.
I for some reason have really disliked the Topaz studio interface but having looked at the web 
page for AI clear might take another look.
I actually like it now that I'm used to it.  Attending a few Topaz webinars has helped that a lot.  I find myself using it as a Photoshop plug-in quite a bit now.

by DOglesby on Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:38 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Member #:01155
Mike in O wrote:It is under French equivalent of Chapter 13...still viable for all the camera and lenses.  Think of it this way, if they go under, your software is not a subscription and will work fine forever and you will not be burdened with an expensive upgrade.

That works until you upgrade your OS or applications that run their software.  Then all bets are off.
Cheers,
Doug

by WJaekel on Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:38 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
I'm using Neatimage Pro which does a good job so far. It can be used as stand alone application or PS plugin. I also used Define a couple of times but didn't see a reason to switch. I have no experiences with Topaz, though.
BTW, the noise reduction algorithm in DxO actually seems to be superior to the one in C1. Apart from that I prefer C1 for colors & details and have used it since v1. That said, the recent version of DxO is very good, too. So it's a matter of personal preferences and priorities, of course.

Wolfgang

by Ed Cordes on Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:18 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
I just tried Topaz AI Clear and like it a lot so far. It really does preserve the details. Avoids a lot of erasing of items to which I do not want the effect applied. I'll see how it goes when I get more experience with it.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:56 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Ed Cordes wrote:I just tried Topaz AI Clear and like it a lot so far.  It really does preserve the details. Avoids a lot of erasing of items to which I do not want the effect applied.  I'll see how it goes when I get more experience with it.
I would have written virtually exactly the same thing in my use so far :)

by MND on Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:06 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
On a Mac I use Noiseless by Macphun which is very easy and effective.

by Tom Turriff on Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:38 am
Tom Turriff
Forum Contributor
Any updates on how well Topaz AI Clear is working?

Thanks!

Tom

14 posts |