All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 21 posts | 
by Karl Egressy on Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:58 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
I have been using DPP RAW conversion and pre-processing for Canon and I'm very pleased with it.
I ventured into Nikon and I'm using Capture NX-D and then Photoshop CS5 for final processing.
Is there any software out there which would give me similar flexibility and quality as DPP for Canon?
Thanks.

by Tim Zurowski on Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:34 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Next to something like Capture One, I think Adobe Camera RAW (ACR) is great. Give that a try. It comes included with Photoshop. NX-D is barely okay IMHO.

by DChan on Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:46 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Since you're the best one to tell what exactly you want from the programs, I think the best thing to do is to download and try them yourself.

by Tim Zurowski on Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:24 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Karl, I just saw that you are using CS5. The version of ACR with CS5 will not handle the D500 files. So sorry, my suggestion will not work for you unless you first convert the D500 files to DNG. Unless you want to spend some money on it, I think NX-D may be your only choice. If you are okay with spending for this, then Photoshop CC 2018 or Capture One would be excellent choices.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:04 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Capture One, hands down the best RAW processor on the planet. At least in my opinion. It makes the Nikon software and even Canon's DPP look like a something made for young kids starting out :D

by photoman4343 on Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:09 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
I am still using NX-D as my Nikon RAW processor and then make a TIFF to take in to other programs.
EJ is likely right about Capture One Pro. I will try it out as I will be switching from Nikon software this year. Other programs on my list to try out are ON1 Photo RAW , DXO Photo Labs Elite and Luminar. But they are jot as powerful as Capture One Pro. You need to figure out what features you really want in a program.
Joe Smith

by Karl Egressy on Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:59 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Capture One, hands down the best RAW processor on the planet.  At least in my opinion.  It makes the Nikon software and even Canon's DPP look like a something made for young kids starting out :D
Thanks E.J.
I'll start saving up money for the program or request it as a Christmas gift from my wife. :)

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:46 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Get it now for free for a month - there's a big learning curve but tons of online educational material that's excellent.  That way you can decide if it's for you or not.

Also, you can get 10% off with discount code AMBC1BLOG or AMBALCHEMIST

by Tim Zurowski on Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:43 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Karl, I totally agree with EJ that Capture One is the best, but it is also the most expensive. Here in Canada it is $410. I tried the month free demo awhile back and could easily see that it was a very good and very deep program, but for me it was very difficult to learn and overkill for my needs. Not trying to talk you out of it, but be aware it is a steep learning curve. Alternatively, ACR is free with Photoshop and does a very good job at RAW conversion with a fairly quick and easy learning curve. Is there a reason you are not wanting to use ACR?

by DChan on Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:53 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Tim Zurowski wrote:Karl, I totally agree with EJ that Capture One is the best, but it is also the most expensive. Here in Canada it is $410. I tried the month free demo awhile back and could easily see that it was a very good and very deep program, but for me it was very difficult to learn and overkill for my needs. Not trying to talk you out of it, but be aware it is a steep learning curve. Alternatively, ACR is free with Photoshop and does a very good job at RAW conversion with a fairly quick and easy learning curve. Is there a reason you are not wanting to use ACR?
CAD410 ?? I don't think I've paid that much for it. Last time I paid it was USD 260, which is now CAD 341.61. I agree though it's expensive. And you end up paying them every year, too, if you decide to upgrade each time a new version comes out - which is annually - so you're not paying a monthly subscription but if you want the most updated version you still have to pay a lot every year (about USD100 each time and most likely more in the future like everything else), but I digressed.

Oh, don't expect Capture One to be perfect (DxO PhotoLab extracts more details from the images now) and do everything for you, Karl, especially if flexiblity of DPP is one of the factors to you. Generally people like the quality that Capture One produces. As for its flexibility comparing to DPP only you and those who have used DPP can decide. Capture One is not easy to learn and that should tell you it's may not be the best, user-friendly program out there.

FWIW, I use both DxO PhotoLab and Capture One, never DPP as I shoot Nikon and never own a Canon.

by Tim Zurowski on Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:19 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
" DChan
CAD410 ?? I don't think I've paid that much for it. Last time I paid it was USD 260, which is now CAD 341.61. "

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Online-Store.aspx   Okay, I rounded up to $410 from $407 ;)

by DChan on Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:28 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Tim Zurowski wrote:" DChan
CAD410 ?? I don't think I've paid that much for it. Last time I paid it was USD 260, which is now CAD 341.61. "

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Online-Store.aspx   Okay, I rounded up to $410 from $407 ;)
OK, you were right, Tim.

Cost-wise, I have a feeling it might not do worse subscribing to Adobe unless one doesn't upgrade the Capture One yearly.

by Rocky Sharwell on Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:07 pm
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054
Karl Egressy wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:Capture One, hands down the best RAW processor on the planet.  At least in my opinion.  It makes the Nikon software and even Canon's DPP look like a something made for young kids starting out :D
Thanks E.J.
I'll start saving up money for the program or request it as a Christmas gift from my wife. :)

I got lucky and caught a deal about a year ago on Amazon 
Rocky Sharwell

by Scott Fairbairn on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:56 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Karl, if you go the Capture One route, check out this guide to using it. It is inexpensive and will get you up and going.
https://gumroad.com/discover?query=capture%20one

by MND on Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:42 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
Capture One has two thumbs up from me. I use it for my Nikon and Sony raw files.

As has been mentioned before there are loads of instructional videos out there.

Here’s a useful one. https://youtu.be/iRsrnioBehQ

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:56 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
The Capture One YouTube channel has all of the webinars archived. I still attend them whenever possible and always pick up some little tidbit and I actually have been trained by Phase One and the people that create this software. The Luminous Landscape Capture One series of videos starting from Capture One 7 and then building up through the current level offers many hours of excellent training as well:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJgJWI ... VEQ/videos

by Karl Egressy on Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:33 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
DxO Optics Pro 9 is mentioned as a cheaper but relatively good alternative to Capture One.
If it is as good as the latest version of DPP for Canon,
I would be happy with it and would save some money that I don't have right now,
after spending over $ 5000 on Nikon equipment.
What do you think?
Thanks, Karl.

by photoman4343 on Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:22 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
In the US the current name for the software is DxO Photo Lab. It comes is two versions--Essential edition and Elite. (I am going to try out the Elite version.) This link will show you the comparisons of the two versions. You may have to click on which version to chose to see the comparisons.

It is likely to be easier to learn that Capture One Pro, but I doubt if either version has all of the features of Capture One.

https://shop.dxo.com/us/photo-software/dxo-photolab

This link shows more general info on all software products offered.

https://shop.dxo.com/?CountryShow=International
Joe Smith

by photoman4343 on Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:22 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
In the US the current name for the software is DxO Photo Lab. It comes is two versions--Essential edition and Elite. (I am going to try out the Elite version.) This link will show you the comparisons of the two versions. You may have to click on which version to chose to see the comparisons.

It is likely to be easier to learn that Capture One Pro, but I doubt if either version has all of the features of Capture One.

https://shop.dxo.com/us/photo-software/dxo-photolab

This link shows more general info on all software products offered.

https://shop.dxo.com/?CountryShow=International
Joe Smith

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:06 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Almost forgot about this exceptional C1 resource:
http://alexonraw.com/capture-one-free-guide-1/

21 posts |