« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 36 posts | 
by John Labrenz on Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:48 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
A few points.
NXD and ACR both create sidecar files that house the mods made to the RAW files.
NXD puts them into a NKSC paramter folder ( or as an .nxd file in a location of your choice) while ACR creates an xmp file that resides next to the original RAW.
The original RAW file remains unchanged.
So, if you made changes to the RAW file in NXD....then later opened the RAW in ACR,,,,the NXD changes will not be registered.
Similarly if you made changes to the RAW file in ACR and then later opened the RAW file in NXD, it would not see the ACR changes.
Neither program "saves" a new RAW file....they merely create a sidecar file that house the changes,

You can, as Joe has indicated "register" NXD to have PS open up the modified file...then the changes made in NXD should be recognized when it opens in PS.

Still unsure why one would want to use this workflow as it seems simpler to stay within ACR/PS....

by Tim Zurowski on Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:07 am
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the responses, but unfortunately you guys are totally misunderstanding my reasons for this post and question. I have zero interest whatsoever in using NXD as a RAW conversion software. I am talking about a program simply for viewing, culling and naming files, which NXD would suffice as if It would allow me to open files directly to ACR, Since it does not, I am still searching. View NXi may be an option if I can get it to work properly. I like to have file full photo drive file structure in view at the left side of the screen, which I did have setup in NXi. Then for some unknown reason it completely disappeared and I could fin no way to get it back. This happened within the first 10 minutes of demoing it. So I have uninstalled NXi and will reinstall it later today to see if I can start over with it. If that doesn't work, then my next options are Breeze Browser Pro or live with the slowness of Bridge.

by signgrap on Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:51 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
I haven't read this entire thread, just scammed it.
As a result I may be misunderstanding your requirements.
Have you looked at Fast RAW Viewer?
https://www.fastrawviewer.com/about-and-features
It claims to look at the RAW file (not the embedded JPEG) and do it quickly.
Have no idea whether it will fulfill your other requirements.
Dick Ludwig

by Tim Zurowski on Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:28 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Thanks very much for that info Dick. Yes, that is exactly what I wanted to hear. I have never heard of that program, but will definitely check it out :)

by Tim Zurowski on Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:01 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
So I downloaded and installed Fast RAW Viewer today. On the surface it looks like a very capable and well thought out program. However, it will not allow for one of my main needs for my viewing and culling program. It does not allow for the naming or renaming of files! His response to this was "No, for the reason of keeping files intact."  The ability to name and rename files is paramount for my needs.  It blows my mind how there are all these program options out there, but for my personal needs only one really has or does what I need most, and that one program crashes my PC.  :shock:  Perhaps Capture One and Breeze Browser Pro may have it all, but they cost too much for use as a simple viewing, culling and naming program. For now, I guess I will just use Bridge and live with the slow loading to view at 100%.

by signgrap on Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:04 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Tim Zurowski wrote:Thanks very much for that info Dick. Yes, that is exactly what I wanted to hear. I have never heard of that program, but will definitely check it out :)
Glad I could be of help.
Let me know if it will work for you.
Dick Ludwig

by John Labrenz on Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:21 pm
John Labrenz
If all you want to do is view and cull...why not use the built in photo viewer in Windows?
You already have it. It's free...
To rename....well just rename the file itself....

by Tim Zurowski on Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:24 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
John Labrenz wrote:If all you want to do is view and cull...why not use the built in photo viewer in Windows?
You already have it.  It's free...
To rename....well just rename the file itself....
Used it many years ago and there are many reasons why it sucks for that purpose for RAW files. 

by John Labrenz on Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:35 pm
John Labrenz
Tim Zurowski wrote:For my needs it really doesn't matter if I am looking at the embedded JPEG or the RAW file.

by photoman4343 on Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:40 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Tim, I use NX-i to view and cull my RAW NEF files on a single screen laptop and a two monitor setup with my desktop. I always see the full file drive structure on the left side of the screen. If you do net see them, uninstall the program and reinstall it. If you still cannot see them you may see at the very bottom of the left column or panel something that says "folders." if you see that just click on it and all of your drives folder structures should appear.

The Help command takes you to the "manual" that explains how to use the program. While not perfect it is a vast improvement from other Nikon Help manuals.
Joe Smith

by Tim Zurowski on Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:37 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Thanks for that Joe :)  I did go through the manual, mind you fairly quickly, but wasn't able to find a resolution to the folder issue. I will give it another try. Basically View NXi seemed to do everything I needed other than that one issue of the disappearing folders. 

Cheers

Last edited by Tim Zurowski on Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Tim Zurowski on Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:55 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Okay, tonight I reinstalled View NXi and it reloaded exactly the same as it was when I uninstalled it. The folder structure is totally gone and I still cannot find any way to get it back? I am looking for "folders" in the bottom left, but there is nothing there but a selection for "Filters" which have nothing to do with the folder structure. It is a decent program, but this is so typical of most Nikon software that develops issues that are difficult to figure out and resolve. Anyway, if anyone can tell me how to get the folder structure back, it would be greatly appreciated :) I have included a screenshot of the upper left and lower left corners showing what it looks like. The two icons in the upper left are related to views, but they do not get it back to the full folder structure. Without the folder structure I am pretty much "dead in the water".

by photoman4343 on Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:26 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Tim send me an email at jvsmith2@swbell.net and I will send you a screen shot of my NX-i screen.

Yours has the arrow pointing to the right. Mine has the arrow pointing to the left. Yours has the two folders colored yellow. Mine does not. Both of ours has the three folders colored in yellow. But I do not think any of these differences are causing you your problem.

Just go to View in the top line and see what is set. Try Refresh and see if that fixes anything.

Then go to Windows in the top line and make sure navigation has a check mark set.

Joe
Joe Smith

by tom walker on Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:37 pm
tom walker
Forum Contributor
Did you know the current Bridge CC is available totally free, for life? I use it for culling raw files and renaming, etc It does not interface with the current ACR but does do the initial edits as I like. 

See this for the latest info:  prodesigntools.com/free-adobe-bridge-cc.html.

by bmstsm on Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:15 am
bmstsm
Forum Contributor
I'm another fan of fastrawviewer, a great bit of software if yo wish to escape NX-i's bugs.
However if you wish to struggle on with NX-i and all a sudden you cannot see your folders I've found the solution to be renaming of the folder and then it becomes visible along with your files.

Don't give up on fastrawviewer, watch the youtube tutorials, also go from fastrawviewer to NX-D to process your raws to get correct colors and use of your camera settings and then finish off in photoshop using the raw filter. Top with a dash of cream and you're done.

Tim
"If at first you don't succeed don't be a sky diver"

by Tim Zurowski on Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:30 am
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
bmstsm wrote:I'm another fan of fastrawviewer, a great bit of software if yo wish to escape NX-i's bugs.
However if you wish to struggle on with NX-i and all a sudden you cannot see your folders I've found the solution to be renaming of the folder and then it becomes visible along with your files.

Don't give up on fastrawviewer, watch the youtube tutorials, also go from fastrawviewer to NX-D to process your raws to get correct colors and use of your camera settings and then finish off in photoshop using the raw filter. Top with a dash of cream and you're done.

Tim
If you read what I wrote above about Fast RAW Viewer (FRV), you will see why it will not work for me. Also, I found the guy who markets it to be extremely stubborn. For some reason he thinks it is sacrilegious to be renaming RAW files, so he will NEVER add that feature to FRV. With his customer attitude I can't see how he will ever sell many numbers of that software. Without the ability to organize and rename files, the program is useless for me. I also said above that I have zero interest in using NXD as a RAW conversion software. For that purpose it is no where near as good as ACR or even the better Capture One.

If you could explain in detail how to get the folders back in NXi, I would be interested in hearing it. I did many searches on the issue and could not find one solution for it. Most reviews on it say it is a horrible buggy program, and that the earlier View NX2 was much better (read Thom Hogans review) and I agree. In the end I uninstalled NXi and reinstalled View NX2 and so far, keeping my fingers crossed, my freezing problem with NX2 has not resurfaced.  For what I need it for, View NX2 is by far the best program of all that I have tried (pretty much all of them).

36 posts |