All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 30 posts | 
by Robert on Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:50 pm
Robert
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Robert wrote:I'm wondering why running SFC/Scannow is rarely mentioned for improving performance. (Start>Search>Type CMD>rt click cmd.exe and select Run as Admin> type sfc/scannow and let run until done.) I found advice for this and it greatly improved performance on my Win 8.1 OS, it especially boots up much more quickly now despite having done all the other steps mentioned above previously.

I know some online say SFC/scannow isn't necessary on Win 8.1 but the proof was in the pudding as they say, as it made a huge difference in my PC performance.
While it's a good step and it's fantastic that it solved your problem and an item that I should probably add to my list earlier in the thread, it has almost never found anything in my use even on systems that clearly had major problems.  That's because the problem is rarely Windows OS system files but is almost always caused by misbehaving apps, registry entries, or just too many things installing themselves and running all the time hogging system resources.
Thanks for the clarification EJ. In hindsight, I suspect my systems OS was corrupted straight from Dell for some reason because even after all the other corrective steps it was still verrry slow to boot up until I did the SFC/scannow step about a year ago. Then I marveled at how fast it would boot up. All good info to know for non-techy's like me. :)

by Tim Zurowski on Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:29 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:If you do uninstall View, don't just run the uninstaller.  Get a deep uninstaller that takes out everything related to the app like Revo Uninstaller.
I downloaded Revo Uninstaller and when I open the program it is supposed to list all the installed software; but, it does not list any of the Nikon software. It does list Nikon Message Center, but not NXD or View NX2?? So if it cannot read the Nikon software, I cannot use it to do a deep uninstall.

FWIW, I have checked and done everything suggested and nothing has changed. I ran a simple stack today of only 13 files and after the stack, my PC froze for about a minute. There is no way for me to get into task manager to see what might be causing the problem. I want to uninstall the Nikon software, but only have CCleaner to do it which does list ALL the software installed.

This issue definitely appears to be related to either Photoshop CC or View NX. This is getting very frustrating!

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:41 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
When you say "I ran a simple stack" what exactly are you referring to?

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:46 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Oh, one thing I just thought of...  Does this happen when Photoshop is not open or is Photoshop always open when it ahppens?  If Photoshop is always open it is likely you are alloctating too much memory to it resulting in other programs needing to go to a swapfile since PS locks up all of the RAM you assign to it.  With a 32GB system, I would not allow PS to use more than 20GB (see Preferences > Performance in PS)

by Tim Zurowski on Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:33 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Based on the type of stacks I have been doing recently, I would consider anything less than 20 files to be a "simple" stack. It is just a term I used to ssy that it was not a "big" stack of tons of files. I would assume PS would use less RAm with less files. Is this an incorrect assumption?

I have PS set to utilize 17.973 GB. I can't remember if PS was open or not. I will take note of that next time, but I suspect I did just leave it open after the stack. The thing that I find odd about all this though is that none of this ever happened until about the last 4 or 5 months, and I have not changed anything in my settings or how I do my stacks. I think it is View NX that is the culprit and I have that uninstalled now. I will monitor things and see if it happens with it gone.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:59 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I still don't know what exactly you mean when you say stack....  Please be very specific.  Note that even though everything should fit within the memory allocation to Photoshop, Photoshop automatically goes to it's swapdisk for a number of operations even if it doesn't need to.  Increasing the size of that and putting it on a fast drive (I use an old 256GB dedicated SSD for Photoshop's swap file) can really help.

by Tim Zurowski on Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:08 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Stack = using a bunch of files taken at different focus points to get more DOF for macro work. I thought I had said that earlier in this thread, but I realize now I didn't. I was going to purchase Helicon Focus for my stacks, but I didn't find that it did any better when using the trial for it. So for now I am still stacking with PS.

If this was an issue with PS and RAM allocation, it would have been an issue all along. This is something that has cropped up recently and I have not changed anything with PS RAM allocation, nor how I do my stacks.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:52 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
You may not have done anything but some software update may have. It does sound like the system is running out of memory and going to an HD as RAM from everything you've said. The challenge is to figure out what it is and then to stop it.

by Tim Zurowski on Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:08 am
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:You may not have done anything but some software update may have.  It does sound like the system is running out of memory and going to an HD as RAM from everything you've said.  The challenge is to figure out what it is and then to stop it.
EJ, I totally agree. My problem is that in months of trying to figure it out, I have not had any success. However, today I think I may have made some progress with it. About 5 months ago I very reluctantly gave in and went with the monthly Adobe Photoshop CC (PSCC) subscription. When I installed PSCC I forgot to check and set my scratch disks. So when I checked it today, it was set with my 256 GB SSD as the first scratch disk. So I am wondering if when I did the large stacks in PS it was maxing out that drive and hanging until it could clear?? I usually set the first drive priority to my larger drives with more than a terabyte of free space.

Second, I uninstalled View NX2 and ran a stack today, that yesterday caused the PC to freeze for a minute or more. Today running the same stack had no freeze-up whatsoever. I ran this stack BEFORE I changed the scratch disk order in PS; so this would suggest that my suspicions were possibly correct and the culprit was View NX2. Not enough use and testing yet to make a definitive deduction on it, but I have a feeling one of these two changes are going to resolve my issue.

by Tim Zurowski on Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:59 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Okay, I think I have done enough tests now to say that View NX2 was the problem. Since I removed it, I have not had one system freeze up. Keeping my fingers crossed that I have resolved the issue. I do find it strange though, as I have used View NX since I started with DSLR's in 2004, and never had any issues with it until now. At least now I know that I do not need to move on to Win 10 for the time being.

30 posts |