Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
by Tim Zurowski on Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:57 am
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Lately I have been doing a lot of macro work (primarily insects) and a lot of focus stacking. Up until now I have been using Photoshop for stacking, but have also played a bit with the demos for Zerene Stacker and Helicon Focus. With many of the stacks, I get out of focus sections or areas of the image with no clear reason for why this happens, and with PS there is no way to correct this in processing.If I go back and look at the original RAW files, the resulting OOF areas should not be there as the original files are focused in these areas. First question is, can anyone explain to me what causes these OOF areas? Second question, is there any way to correct or fix it with Helicon Focus? If yes, how is this achieved? I am probably going to purchase Helicon Focus and will watch some of the tutorials on YouTube, but wanted to ask here of those who are familiar with and use this program. 

by MND on Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:13 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
Hey Tim,

I had similar problem with a flower where the image was spoiled by an OOF 'glow' as E.J. put it. He directed me to the retouching tab after rendering. Not exactly the same as your problem I know but the principle still applies I think.

Check out the Retouching feature on this Youtube Video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WuDiuJcn1g

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:06 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It's pretty easy to correct in Helicon.  First try adjusting some of the parameters to see if Helicon can fix it on its own.  If not, once the composite is rendered simply click on retouch.  You can then paint certain layers into certain areas to eliminate the bleed from other layers.  You can even do it with a side by sad masked display by checking that box.  It's pretty easy as long as there isn't wind induced motion you are trying to get rid of.  Just google the topic and you will find video tutorials if this doesn't make sense.

Here is a basic guide to the S/W as well:
https://www.heliconsoft.com/focus/help/ ... Focus.html

by Tim Zurowski on Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:20 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Thanks guys . . . . . . I will probably purchase Helicon tomorrow.

by Scott Fairbairn on Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:02 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Tim Zurowski wrote:Thanks guys . . . . . . I will probably purchase Helicon tomorrow.

Out of curiosity, why did you decide on Helicon vs Zerene? I have Zerene, but I don't know much about the differences between them.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:23 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Fir me it is simply because my Phase One system comes with a Helicon license :)

by Ed Okie on Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:18 pm
Ed Okie
Forum Contributor
Tim, if you haven't already tried - switch to the "A" rendering, instead of the "B" rendering. I'm not clear what you're seeing but the B-to-A change may solve the problem.

by signgrap on Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:19 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
I purchased the Zerene app a number of years ago as I much preferred the licensing terms.
It has worked well for me ever since.
Dick Ludwig

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:47 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
signgrap wrote:I purchased the Zerene app a number of years ago as I much preferred the licensing terms.
It has worked well for me ever since.
Helicon now offers a perpetual license which wasn't the case years ago.

by Kerry on Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:32 pm
Kerry
Forum Contributor
Helicon offered a perpetual license when I purchased it, back in something like 2005 or 2006. I've been entitled to every upgrade, without any additional fee, ever since.

by Tim Zurowski on Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:05 am
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
Tim Zurowski wrote:Thanks guys . . . . . . I will probably purchase Helicon tomorrow.

Out of curiosity, why did you decide on Helicon vs Zerene? I have Zerene, but I don't know much about the differences between them.
It was simply that when I downloaded and tried the trial versions for both programs, I liked Helicon better. I also thought that the user interface was better. I still haven't purchased yet though so perhaps I will give Zerene another look. I do remember that I thought the UI for Zerene was much more primitive and simple than Helicon. For the most part I think Photoshop does a good job, I just wish it had more tweaking abilities to clean up the stacks.

by simon1 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:31 am
simon1
Forum Contributor
You can check out this Multifocus tool for free, here you can find a video with an insect

12 posts |