Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by neverspook on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:05 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
So I just put PS CC on my laptop. It seems to have a rather large screen presence/interface. I got a message saying my tools list would be clipped unless I changed the resolution of my screen or transferred to a larger monitor. The latter is not an option and my screen resolution is already set as high as it will go. I was able to solve that problem by dividing the tools bar in two (not quite sure how I did that but it solves the problem).

But this larger interface/inability to go to higher screen resolution has created an issue in preferences. The window that deals with cache preferences cuts off so I cannot select Purge the Cache. As there is not much extra space on C drive on my laptop, this could become an issue and I often have to purge the cache.

So I am wondering if I can just purge it manually by going to C:\Users|Roberta|AppData\Roading\Adobe\Bridge\CC\Cache and deleting the various files I find in the various folders there. Would that work? Is there anything I must absolutely not delete from there?

Or is there some other work around?

Thanks,
Roberta Olenick
www.neverspook.com

by Kim on Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:35 pm
Kim
Forum Contributor
Roberta go to Window/Workspace/Keyboard Short Cuts & Menu and scroll down EDIT till you see PURGE and assign a shortcut to it. Then all you have to do is hit the short cut to purge.

Make sure you have Application Menus showing in the Short Cuts For: in order to get to the EDIT section.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:54 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It's almost never a good idea on a Windows machine to start deleting anything that isn't an actual document or photo. There has to be a way to scroll down the list. The standard Windows interface should allow you to click on the main top bar menu such as File, Edit, Image, View, etc and then just use the down arrow to step down through the menu. This should take you to the items that are off the screen. Adding a shortcut as described above is also a good idea but there may be other items off the screen that you may need someday.

by neverspook on Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:40 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
Thanks for those responses, Kim and EJ.

Unfortunately, with the cursor on the cache tab in Preferences, I am not able to simply use the down arrows to move within the cache tab. The down arrow just takes me to the next tab and therefore away from the purge cache item at the bottom on the cache tab.

But using Kim's shortcut idea might work. I just have some questions about that. The actual preferences tab that allows purging the cache in under preferences in Bridge, not preferences in PS. But it is only within PS that I seem to be able to access the window option to set shortcuts. If I set a shortcut for purge within PS, will it work when I am in Bridge so I can purge the cache there? (On my laptop, I rarely use PS anyway as I don't process images there. I mostly just use Bridge to review images in the field.)

If setting a shortcut with PS will allow me to purge the Bridge cache, there are a number of options I can set shortcuts for under Purge. These are: Undo, Clipboard, Histories, All and Video Cache. Is All equivalent to what Purge cache does in the the Cache tab in Bridge?

Thanks,
Roberta

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:53 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Once within cache, just use the tab key to move sequentially through all the items.

by Kim on Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:05 am
Kim
Forum Contributor
Roberta you did not make it clear the issue you are having is in Bridge. My response was for photoshop as your original post seems to be asking about.

However if you use the already established short cut for the Preference file in Bridge which is CTRL + K you should get the Preferences dialogue box to open. If you can see the top of the box you can simply put your Cursor on the top strip and hold to move it up till you see Cache and take it from there.

by neverspook on Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:09 am
neverspook
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Once within cache, just use the tab key to move sequentially through all the items.

Yes, tab works! Why didn't I think of that? Thanks, EJ.

Roberta

by neverspook on Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:11 am
neverspook
Forum Contributor
Kim wrote:Roberta you did not make it clear the issue you are having is in Bridge. My response was for photoshop as your original post seems to be asking about.

However if you use the already established short cut for the Preference file in Bridge which is CTRL + K you should get the Preferences dialogue box to open. If you can see the top of the box you can simply put your Cursor on the top strip and hold to move it up till you see Cache and take it from there.

Thanks, Kim. Yes, I should have indicated it was withing Bridge that I had the issue. I had no problem getting to the Cache tab, but I could not figure out how to get access to the bottom part of that tab which was off my screen and that is where Purge Cache is located. But as EJ pointed out, I can get there using the tab key. I feel better now. :)

Roberta

by Jeff Colburn on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:26 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi,

Have you tried reducing the magnification on your screen? Go from your current 100% to maybe 70% or 80% and you may be able to see the menu option that's being cut off.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by neverspook on Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:56 am
neverspook
Forum Contributor
I believe I did try that, Jeff.

Thanks,
Roberta

10 posts |