Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by John Guastella on Wed May 02, 2018 12:51 am
John Guastella
Forum Contributor
I'm about to purchase the BenQ SW2700PT monitor and need to replace my calibrator (Colormunki Display) because it will not allow hardware calibration of the monitor.

I've heard both positives and negatives about the Spyder 5 Elite and the X-Rite i1Display Pro. Is there any reason to favor one over the other? Durability? Customer service?

John

by Justin C on Mon May 07, 2018 11:53 am
Justin C
Forum Contributor
I don't have any experience with the Spyder but I had to buy the i1Dispay Pro when I bought the BenQ SW2700 monitor.
I haven't had to use customer services but regarding performence of that combination, I've been 100% satisfied and
can highly recommend it.
Justin

by Charlie Woodrich on Thu May 10, 2018 10:43 am
Charlie Woodrich
Forum Contributor
Here's a discussion of these two calibration devices.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-displ ... splay.html

by Royce Howland on Thu May 10, 2018 11:59 am
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
I use and recommend the X-Rite i1Display Pro over the Spyder products. I've personally tested all Spyders up through the Spyder4 and found them inferior -- slower, less accurate and less consistent. I haven't yet personally tested the Spyder5. But based on a lot of testing info I've read out there (like the link Charlie shared above), while the Spyder5 looks better than the Spyder4, it isn't yet as fast, accurate or at the same level of instrument-to-instrument consistency that X-Rite achieves.

As a side note I have the BenQ SW2700PT and SW320, and the X-Rite i1Display Pro works fine with both of them with the BenQ Palette Master software.
Royce Howland

by John Guastella on Fri May 11, 2018 10:49 am
John Guastella
Forum Contributor
Thanks for those replies. 

I found a thread over on the LL forum where a user complained about the cable of the X-rite device being fragile (easily damaged with light use) and not easily repairable. Has anyone here had that experience?

John

by Royce Howland on Fri May 11, 2018 6:26 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
I've never seen a cable issue with any X-Rite product. Doesn't mean that person on LL didn't have such a problem, but I don't consider it to be a design flaw inherent in the device. My gear gets ported around all kinds of places between my home studio, print studio, client locations and workshop venues. Never had any issues as long as I treat the gear appropriately...
Royce Howland

by Bill Chambers on Mon May 14, 2018 8:33 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
John Guastella wrote:Thanks for those replies. 

I found a thread over on the LL forum where a user complained about the cable of the X-rite device being fragile (easily damaged with light use) and not easily repairable. Has anyone here had that experience?

John
Like Royce, I have never had any issue with an X-Rite cord or instrument.
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

7 posts |