« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by EGrav on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:26 am
EGrav
Forum Contributor
I have a couple of hard drives in the 1 to 2 TB range that I am thinking about combining into one larger drive. I have read about spanning hard drives and it seems fairly simple and safe. Anyone with experience? Warnings?
Info is appreciated. BTW this would be on a Mac.
Thanks

by rajandesai on Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:56 pm
rajandesai
Forum Contributor
Member #:01263
EGrav wrote:I have a couple of hard drives in the 1 to 2 TB range that I am thinking about combining into one larger drive. I have read about spanning hard drives and it seems fairly simple and safe. Anyone with experience? Warnings?
Thanks
It is not very difficult to achieve this using Disk Utility and RAID (Concatenated Disks). You will have to erase drives so back up your data first. My biggest concern with this setup is that the risk of disk failure goes up. Even if one disk fails, you will lose all the data. Make sure that you back up your data regularly.

by EGrav on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:56 pm
EGrav
Forum Contributor
rajandesai wrote:
EGrav wrote:I have a couple of hard drives in the 1 to 2 TB range that I am thinking about combining into one larger drive. I have read about spanning hard drives and it seems fairly simple and safe. Anyone with experience? Warnings?
Thanks
It is not very difficult to achieve this using Disk Utility and RAID (Concatenated Disks). You will have to erase drives so back up your data first. My biggest concern with this setup is that the risk of disk failure goes up. Even if one disk fails, you will lose all the data. Make sure that you back up your data regularly.
Thanks. I understand the increased risks - will be used for non-essential tasks.

3 posts |