« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Richard B. on Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:26 pm
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
Member #:01199
Hi,

Like at least some others here, I have a new camera and an Old version of Photoshop - CS6, and I really don't want to buy into the subscription model. Obviously this can't go on forever, but for now I can convert the new camera files to DNG with Adobe's utility. My concern is the original raw file. EJ in another thread, mentioned probably best to retain the original raw file if possible. 

I would prefer to embed the raw file into the dng conversion for housekeeping reasons. Obviously this will make a bigger file, but are there any other downsides to embedding the raw file in the DNG file? Or is it best practice to store the raw file separately away from the dng files?

Thanks. 

Richard

by DChan on Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:17 am
DChan
Forum Contributor
You lose one, you lose both ??

Wondering why you don't simply get another raw converter such as Capture One or DxO PhotoLab. I'm pretty sure they're cheaper than your camera.

Keep the Photoshop even if you use other raw conversion program though unless you're getting something from On1 or Affinity Photo.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:25 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Storage is cheap, RAW files are irreplaceable. Keep both! Never ever get rid of the original - embedding it into another file is not the same as keeping the original. That's like taking your slides, scanning them into a digital file and then basically throwing the slides away. Housekeeping should not be an issue at all. As for RAW converters, ACR and the Develop module in LR are not in the same league as some others that do not require a subscription as stated above.

by Richard B. on Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:05 pm
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
OK, I'm a bit of a luddite regards taking on new software. All valid points from both of you. For the time being I will store the raw files separately. That could be helpful whenever I do get around to new software. Thanks for your help.

Richard

by Ron Day on Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:29 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Richard, I was confronted with the identical problem and went with separate DNG, JPEG, and NEF folders. It was a little more work, but the DNG conversion was pretty good. Finally, I gave in and got Photoshop CC. Also, I am trying trying out Capture One based on EJ's high praise for the software.

by Richard B. on Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:13 pm
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
Hi Ron,

Good to know I'm not alone on this! Yes, I'm going to do separate folders also. Luckily I have only two, NEF's and dng. Like you I'm going to try out Capture One. I guess it's version eleven now. But I would like to keep working with the old stuff while I try out the new s/w. I'm pretty sure EJ shoots more in a year then I have shot in my lifetime so I'll go along with his suggestion.

Richard

6 posts |