All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by Dan Wolin on Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:45 am
Dan Wolin
Forum Contributor
Hi All,

Happy New Year!  After having my MacPro (old tower machine) for the last 10 years, I finally decided to build a custom windows desktop since I could not certainly justify the cost of a higher end imac or wait for the new MacPro.  Anyway, I used Time Machine previously for my backup software and found it to work very well.  For the new machine, I am currently using Acronis which received great reviews but I have a few issues with it (the apparent need to do a complete backup after 5 incremental backups, the lack of being able to see actual backup files, etc.). 

Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent (and not crazy expensive) backup option for Windows?  I am running Windows 10 but have heard mixed things about their backup software.  My OS and software (along with my lightroom catalog) reside on a Samsung evo pro SSD (on motherboard) and my data is on a 6TB internal drive.  The SSD has been mirrored and everything is backed up on two external 6TB drives. 

Thanks everyone.

Dan
Dan Wolin
Marshall, MI

by Jeff Zanin on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:18 am
Jeff Zanin
Lifetime Member
Member #:01201
I have had good results with Macrium Reflect under Windows 10 and previous versions. I am using the "home" version but I believe they also have "free" and "pro" versions with various features and capabilities. It can do disk images as well as various types of file backups. Mine is set up to image my C drive and backup all files on my E drive once a week, and do a differential image and file backups the other six nights. I amusing my QNAP NAS as the backup destination.

Jeff

by Dan Wolin on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:55 am
Dan Wolin
Forum Contributor
Awesome thanks - this sounds like it might work well. I will certainly check it out.

Dan
Dan Wolin
Marshall, MI

by DavidSutton on Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:42 pm
DavidSutton
Forum Contributor
I've heard good reports about Macrium Reflect.
I've always used Acronis and it works well enough. I've restored failed C Drives twice with it.
You can certainly see the actual back up just by double clicking the .tib file. It opens fine.
For stuff on my C Drive that change daily (emails etc) and for the other internal drives I use GoodSync. Once set up it's quite fast and does incremental backups.
Don't forget to detach the external drive once a back up is done. Last year the psu failed and fried every attached drive including the dvd burner.
David
David Sutton

by Tim Zurowski on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:17 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
I used to use Acronis, and now I use Macrium

by signgrap on Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:02 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Tim Zurowski wrote:I used to use Acronis, and now I use Macrium
Same here.
Dick Ludwig

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:53 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Goodsync is another highly regarded solution.

by Wildflower-nut on Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:40 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Are these storing it in proprietary files or standard files. I've used Genie soft because it produces regular files.

by DavidSutton on Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:47 pm
DavidSutton
Forum Contributor
GoodSync backs up files in their original format - "standard files". Acronis backs up in a proprietary .tib format, but it opens by double clicking, I don't know whether this is standard on Windows or whether it's because I have Acronis installed.
David
David Sutton

9 posts |