All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by dbolt on Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:50 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Member #:00842
I'm having another " I don't know what I'm doing wrong or not doing" issue.  On the desktop of the MBA are icons for three slideshows I made last Sept with Picture2Exe v8.  The app files (eg., Mana-Pools.app) displayed fine when I presented them, but they will not open now. When I click on the *.app file, a pale green window flashes open and then returns to the Finder window.  The files are also on a Thumb drive in Zip format.  The unzipped apps will also not open on the MBA. 
I must have something set wrong on the MBA.  Any suggestions would be most welcome.  I've committed to presenting the same slideshows at a meeting in Feb.  The PC versions on the Thumb drive of the same slideshows display fine on a PC.  But, I don't have a PC laptop.
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA
http://dougboltphotography.com

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:39 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
MBA's can't run EXE files unless you are running a WIndows emulator like Bootcamp or some other one. OSX is not compatible with Windows executable files.

by dbolt on Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:23 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
EJ, I'm not trying to run the exe files on the Mac. I just included the info about success with the PC running the .exe files made at the same time as the .app files to indicate that the thumb drive containing the .app file was probably not corrupt. Also, the icons on the MBA desktop that I used for my talk in October, do not display the slideshows now. I can't recall ever clicking on these icons since the talk, so I can't speculate what or when I made changes in the configuration of the MBA.
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA

by jrhoffman75 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:01 pm
jrhoffman75
Forum Contributor
Did you update macOS? Possible compatibility issue?

by dbolt on Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:12 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Could well be. The machine has been updated more than once since Oct. It acts like something in the config. Not sure what to do, at least I understand that I can't go back.. I posted on WWsoft forum. Maybe they will have some info. WNSoft has a V9 with some mods from that.
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:38 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
dbolt wrote:EJ, I'm not trying to run the exe files on the Mac.  I just included the info about success with the PC running the .exe files made at the same time as the .app files to indicate that the thumb drive containing the .app file was probably not corrupt.  Also, the icons on the MBA desktop that I used for my talk in October, do not display the slideshows now.  I can't recall ever clicking on these icons since the talk, so I can't speculate what or when I made changes in the configuration of the MBA.
Ah sorry I misread .app for the word app.  It sure looks like an OSX update broke the file.  I wonder if you upgrade to the latest version of the program and recompile the slideshow if it will now work.

by dbolt on Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:07 am
dbolt
Forum Contributor
I think the MBA is running the latest iOS, but I'll check. I don't believe it is easy to go back to an older iOS. Unfortunately, the images were moved to a new 8T drive, so all the links will need to be changed for these slideshows to compile. To test the theory that V8 P2E and the latest iOS are not compatible, I can create a test slideshow for Macs using the latest integration of V9 P2E on my PC and see if the app plays on the MBA. So far as I know, P2E only runs on a PC, but it will create slideshows (*.app files) that play on Macs.
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:19 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Well if there's one thing Apple is really really good at it's obsoleting software and making things that worked just fine stop working after updates so I think your answer is probably there. What I meant earlier is that if you upgraded to picturestoexe v.9 it may work due to the timing of when that software came out and the unlikely event that they would go back and fix a mac compatibility issue on an older version on a piece of software that is really intended for the Windows environment. If you have made the move to Mac, you may want to consider a native Mac app for generating slide shows or to do it on a cross platform application.

by dbolt on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:06 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Igor at Wnsoft.com has a fix to run on existing app files that were created with V6 - V8.  I am about to give it a try.  Hope it works.

It didn't
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA

9 posts |