Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by MND on Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:03 am
MND
Forum Contributor
Does PTGui Pro provide anything that an occasional Panorama shooter really needs?

Currently it's $99 for PTGui and $186 for PTGui Pro.

Thanks

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:00 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Here is the comparison table. It's hard to know what your needs are and perhaps Photomerge in Photoshop is enough for occasional needs:
https://www.ptgui.com/features.html

I am a PTGUI Pro user but I can't really answer your question because I don't know if all of the things I have done with it can be done with the non pro version.

by MND on Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:38 am
MND
Forum Contributor
Thanks E.J. I know you use PTGui I dud the know which version.

I’ll go with the simpler PTGui as I’m not likely to get into the higher functionally of the Pro version.

I’ve tried a PS Photomerge and didn’t have a great deal of success with it.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:42 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
MND wrote:Thanks E.J. I know you use PTGui I dud the know which version.

I’ll go with the simpler PTGui as I’m not likely to get into the higher functionally of the Pro version.

I’ve tried a PS Photomerge and didn’t have a great deal of success with it.
I've found that none of these tools are perfect for every job.  About 50% of the time, Photomerge, especially in spherical projection mode, does the trick.  PTGUI is successful on about 80% of the cases I have thrown at it but often I need to go to some of the more obscure projection methods.  PTGUI presents you with three primary stitching projection methods but in a drop down next to them are a bunch more and I find Mercator and Vedutismo are often successful on stitches that Photoshop struggles with.  PTGUI also lets you manually do it by selecting stitching points by hand - that's my last resort.  Before going that route I also try an older program called PanoramaFactory and sometimes it handles the jobs that neither PS or PTGUI does.  If none of those three work I go back to PTGUI and do it manually by point selection - it's slow and tedious but it can usually handle the job when all others fail.  If that doesn't work, I punt! :)

Below is a link with all of the projection methods and what they do:
https://www.ptgui.com/man/projections.html

by Bill Chambers on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:33 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
E.J., may I ask why you chose PTGui Pro over Autopano Giga, or did you not compare them? I used to use Autopano Pro when I was using the Nikon D2x (12 MP). I'm thinking about going back to them, but wondered why you chose PTGui Pro.
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:59 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Bill Chambers wrote:E.J., may I ask why you chose PTGui Pro over Autopano Giga, or did you not compare them?  I used to use Autopano Pro when I was using the Nikon D2x (12 MP).  I'm thinking about going back to them, but wondered why you chose PTGui Pro.
Basically I had a client that liked it and turned me onto it.  Before that I was using either Photomerge or PanoramaFactory.

by Bill Chambers on Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:05 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Bill Chambers wrote:E.J., may I ask why you chose PTGui Pro over Autopano Giga, or did you not compare them?  I used to use Autopano Pro when I was using the Nikon D2x (12 MP).  I'm thinking about going back to them, but wondered why you chose PTGui Pro.
Basically I had a client that liked it and turned me onto it.  Before that I was using either Photomerge or PanoramaFactory.
Thank you.
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

7 posts |