All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 18 posts | 
by James W. Milligan on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:17 pm
James W. Milligan
Lifetime Member
Member #:00249
I have put off installing the upgrade at this point and wonder if anyone has had issues with PS,Lightroom or other plug-ins such as on1 or capture one?  I currently have an iMac 27 in late 2015 machine with 8 gb of ram.

by MND on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:34 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
James W. Milligan wrote:I have put off installing the upgrade at this point and wonder if anyone has had issues with PS,Lightroom or other plug-ins such as on1 or capture one?  I currently have an iMac 27 in late 2015 machine with 8 gb of ram.
I've been running it for a few weeks now on my 2017 MacBook Pro with 16gb. I'm using PS CS6 and Capture One 10 and more recently 11.

I'm not having any issues with either of these.

Good Luck

by Mark Boranyak on Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:07 am
Mark Boranyak
Forum Contributor
James W. Milligan wrote:I have put off installing the upgrade at this point and wonder if anyone has had issues with PS,Lightroom or other plug-ins such as on1 or capture one?  I currently have an iMac 27 in late 2015 machine with 8 gb of ram.
I have High Sierra installed on both of my computers: a five year old MacBook Air and a four plus years old IMac (27 inch with 32 GB or RAM). Everything is working just fine: LR and all my various plug ins.

Mark

by DOglesby on Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:28 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Member #:01155
I've installed it.  Not sure if it's coincidental or not (because I haven't been doing a ton of editing lately to know for sure) but Photoshop crashes every time I try to use one of the Nik plugins - w/ PS CC and CS6 so guessing it's a High Sierra issue.  They work fine in Lightroom though.  I've not tried reinstalling Nik yet (probably should try that).  Never had this problem prior to upgrading so my sense is that it's a compatibility issue.  Anyone else with the same issue?  

Note - I normally wouldn't install until I see the reports but I have several ways to edit and wasn't terribly worried (I never install on my laptop and desktop at the same time).  More of a MacPhun user now anyway but I wish the Nik apps wouldn't crash in PS.
Cheers,
Doug

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:21 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
DOglesby wrote:I've installed it.  Not sure if it's coincidental or not (because I haven't been doing a ton of editing lately to know for sure) but Photoshop crashes every time I try to use one of the Nik plugins - w/ PS CC and CS6 so guessing it's a High Sierra issue.  They work fine in Lightroom though.  I've not tried reinstalling Nik yet (probably should try that).  Never had this problem prior to upgrading so my sense is that it's a compatibility issue.  Anyone else with the same issue?  

Note - I normally wouldn't install until I see the reports but I have several ways to edit and wasn't terribly worried (I never install on my laptop and desktop at the same time).  More of a MacPhun user now anyway but I wish the Nik apps wouldn't crash in PS.
I've read that on a number of forums.  It appears that at least parts of the Nik Suite is broken on High Sierra and as I recall that was predicted since High Sierra can no longer run 32 bit apps and some modules of Nik are 32 bit.  I think there is no company in the world better at obsoleting things than Apple.  Meanwhile my Windows 10 machines still run 8-bit 8088 programs I wrote in 1983 ;)

by signgrap on Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:22 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
I believe most people have had to re-install NIK collection when they have updated their OS .
Dick Ludwig

by Jens Peermann on Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:36 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
I have been using High Sierra for about two weeks now and experienced photoshop crashing when saving the Nik Color Efect Pro 4 filter. I was about to give up on this (returning to Sierra is not an option) when I learned that the cure is actually very simple. Just set the filter's preference to applying the filter to the existing layer - instead of creating a new layer - and the problem goes away. If you really need the effect applied to a new layer, create a duplicate layer first, then use the filter on that duplicate layer.

The other issue I found is just a minor inconvenience with Capture One. The hot keys for selecting tools don't work (they work in photoshop and everywhere else). Not a big deal.

However, I cannot really recommend upgrading, at least not yet. I had a mayor fight getting this system going on my iMac (late 2014). It would start up slow and everything ran very slow. That has improved by now. The startup is almost as fast as it was with Sierra, but starting up from an external drive can take up to 15 minutes, and even when starting in Safe Mode it's still about 4 minutes.

The sluggish performance from the installed drive turned out to be caused by an external drive that is on the brink of dying. Replacing it with a new brought the machine up to speed, but also demonstrated that High Sierra is very sensitive to something like that. I'm even tempted to say that High Sierra doesn't like external drives, considering the speed problems I still have with them.

The worst part is that Apple has removed Sierra from it's download page, so you really got to make a cloned backup of your drive before you upgrade to High Sierra. Just in case you want to go back.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:52 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
C1P is fully High Sierra compatible so I don't see why the keyboard shortcuts don't work - they should. Might be some other issue there.

I've decided not to upgrade my last Apple system that I own, a 2015 high end iMac. I just wish there was a way to turn off the nag notice to do the update with verbiage that tries to trick you into installing it automatically later without your knowing it (shades of Win 10 - Apple really is no better when it comes to this sort of stuff than Microsoft is).

by Wade Thorson on Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:09 pm
Wade Thorson
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:C1P is fully High Sierra compatible so I don't see why the keyboard shortcuts don't work - they should.  Might be some other issue there.

I've decided not to upgrade my last Apple system that I own, a 2015 high end iMac.  I just wish there was a way to turn off the nag notice to do the update with verbiage that tries to trick you into installing it automatically later without your knowing it (shades of Win 10 - Apple really is no better when it comes to this sort of stuff than Microsoft is).

You can turn off the automatic updates if necessary:

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-macos-sierra-how-to-turn-off-automatic-updates-2016-10/#start-in-system-preferences-1
"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."
                 -Shakespeare Troilus and Cressida

Alpine Imaging | Wade Thorson Photography

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:53 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Wade Thorson wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:C1P is fully High Sierra compatible so I don't see why the keyboard shortcuts don't work - they should.  Might be some other issue there.

I've decided not to upgrade my last Apple system that I own, a 2015 high end iMac.  I just wish there was a way to turn off the nag notice to do the update with verbiage that tries to trick you into installing it automatically later without your knowing it (shades of Win 10 - Apple really is no better when it comes to this sort of stuff than Microsoft is).

You can turn off the automatic updates if necessary:

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-macos-sierra-how-to-turn-off-automatic-updates-2016-10/#start-in-system-preferences-1
Hi Wade, I am aware of those settings - while that turns off certain aspects of the Apple updating service, for me, that has not stopped the once every three days nag box in the upper right corner, unfortunately.  that article was for the update from Yosemite to Sierra and it worked for that, but it does not completely eliminate it if you are on Sierra and they want you to be on High Sierra.

by Wade Thorson on Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:05 am
Wade Thorson
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote: Hi Wade, I am aware of those settings - while that turns off certain aspects of the Apple updating service, for me, that has not stopped the once every three days nag box in the upper right corner, unfortunately.  that article was for the update from Yosemite to Sierra and it worked for that, but it does not completely eliminate it if you are on Sierra and they want you to be on High Sierra.

I'm still on El Cap, but maybe this article would be helpful.

http://osxdaily.com/2017/11/21/prevent-macos-high-sierra-automatic-download/

They talk about turning on "Do not Disturb" at the end to turn off the nag notices.
"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."
                 -Shakespeare Troilus and Cressida

Alpine Imaging | Wade Thorson Photography

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:26 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
The Do Not Disturb idea is a good one, will try that - that does not work on iOS update nags but who knows on OSX.

by Wildflower-nut on Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:43 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor

Does this mean you are moving to Windows or some other operating system.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:33 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Wildflower-nut wrote:

Does this mean you are moving to Windows or some other operating system.
My primary desktop photo workstations have always been ultra high end custom Windows workstations although if the imaging programs worked natively under Linux, I would do that.  I have generally used Apple products for my mobile computing as well as just basic day to day computing but Apple hardware is just not performance competitive in the workstation space and in the last few years also in the mobile space.  I still use an iPad basically to watch video on at the gym but for travel I am now using a Microsoft Surface Pro which at 2lb is both a tablet and a laptop and the model I have is faster than any 13" laptop Apple currently makes.  

In my opinion, and there are many that share my belief, Apple has fallen not just a little behind, but years behind in overall performance (as well as value in some parts of the business).  The new iMac Pro, when fully speced out looks like it could turn the tide back some but to get a really good performer, you are looking at as much as $13K and as little as $6K and that's before you add any large fast storage.  And you are locked into that hardware, it is completely un-upgradeable.  You can't add memory, you can't go to a bigger internal disk, you can't change out graphics card.  You are locked into a $5-$13K platform from the moment you hit the BUY button until you decide to replace it.  I'm afraid they have lost me.  OSX is getting significantly worse, more bloated, and more amateur hour with every release.

All that said, I will maintain my 2015 iMac.  It sits in my kitchen and I use it all the time, especially to surf, email, etc.  From a photo processing standpoint, I really only use it to run Starry Landscape Stacker which is, in my opinion the best stacking software out there for astro shots from a usability standpoint while creating truly excellent results.  It is a Mac only program.

Probably TMI in my answer :D

by Jens Peermann on Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:35 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Yesterday I installed the latest update of High Sierra (10.13.3) on one of my Macs and it appears to be the first version of this system that runs well. No  new features, as far as I can tell, just behind the scene improvements and bug fixes. Apps start up fast and perform faster than in the previous versions, and everything feels more stable overall.

One minor glitch, that is also reported by other users, is with Lightroom Classic CC. When Photoshop is already open, the "Edit in Photoshop" command will open a new instance of that app from a copy located on an external backup. Apparently the link between Lightroom and the Photoshop app on the internal drive broke, and since Photoshop was already open and therefore couldn't be opened again, Lightroom looked for a version that can be opened and found it on the external drive. Shutting down the computer and booting up again fixed this minor issue.

All in all I am happy with this app now. I will run it for a week on this computer and if it holds up over the next week will install it on the other machine as well.

by MND on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:35 am
MND
Forum Contributor
Bootcamp on High Sierra.

I need a windows laptop for my programming applications and my high end Dell Laptop is getting cludged up with windows crap. I used to reload it with windows every year after reformatting the drive, I found this always made it run much faster. Right now with various projects on the go I can’t afford the time to reload it so I intended to add bootcamp to my spare MacBook Pro. I would add Windows and my necessary work applications and have a much lighter weight to carry in my backpack. I loaded High Sierra and started the Bootcamp process. I still haven’t managed it after several attempts. I’ve done it before on other revisions of OS but High Sierra is proving to be a pain.

It’s raining today so maybe I’ll give it another try.

by Jens Peermann on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:02 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
MND wrote:Bootcamp on High Sierra.

I need a windows laptop for my programming applications and my high end Dell Laptop is getting cludged up with windows crap. I used to reload it with windows every year after reformatting the drive, I found this always made it run much faster. Right now with various projects on the go I can’t afford the time to reload it so I intended to add bootcamp to my spare MacBook Pro. I would add Windows and my necessary work applications and have a much lighter weight to carry in my backpack. I loaded High Sierra and started the Bootcamp process. I still haven’t managed it after several attempts. I’ve done it before on other revisions of OS but High Sierra is proving to be a pain.

It’s raining today so maybe I’ll give it another try.
I have been using Macs since 1986 and as far as operating systems are concerned there were a few lemmons. But nothing near as bad as the last four of them, Yosemite, El Capitan, Sierra nd High Sierra. Sierra was actually almost decent, but High Sierra takes the cake.

by Jens Peermann on Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:05 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Here is some more information on this subject. Interesting: Adobe does not recommend upgrading to High Sierra at this time. A little late for those who already did since going back to Sierra is not an option any more.https://blog.macsales.com/42481-macos-101-what-high-sierra-broke-and-how-to-fix-it

18 posts |