Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 15 posts | 
by Dan Wolin on Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:57 pm
Dan Wolin
Forum Contributor
I am in the process of having a new computer built (leaving the old Mac Pro sadly) and will be buying a new monitor for editing.  I am looking at a few but could certainly use some advice since it has been quite a while.  Looking in the 27-30 (or 31) inch range.  These popped up with some good ratings. 

NEC MultiSync EA275UHD-BK 27″ 4K UHD sRGB IPS Monitor

Dell UP3216Q 31.5″ 16:9 UltraSharp 4K UHD IPS

HP Z31x 31.1 17:9 DreamColor Studio Cinema 4K IPS Display

ASUS PA329Q 32″ 16:9 4K /UHD IPS Monitor

Thanks in advance! 

Dan
Dan Wolin
Marshall, MI

by Mark Walrod on Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:03 pm
Mark Walrod
Forum Contributor
I've been really happy with my 9 yr old NEC 26" LCD and recently ordered the NEC PA272W-BK 27" monitor. Can't speak to the 4k models, but I'd expect them to be excellent as well.

Mark

by signgrap on Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:03 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
If you are using an older PS CS6 version of PS you may NOT want to go with a 4k version of the NEC 27" monitor. NEC makes a lower resolution 27" SpectraView monitor that I have been eyeing which will work much better with PS CS6. 4k monitors make the fonts in CS6 so tiny that you have great difficulty in reading the menus. I have been using an older 26" NEC SpectraView that I love but it is only 1920x1080 in resolution. BTW make sure you get the SpectraView version of the monitor as the profiling is easy, consistently on target and works better than 3rd party profiling pucks as the SpectraView hardware is built-in.
Dick Ludwig

by Brian E. Small on Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:29 pm
Brian E. Small
Forum Contributor
Member #:00479
Hands down NEC.

by Royce Howland on Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:43 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
I'm a NEC fan, but see my comments in other threads on the 32" 4K monitor from BenQ, the SW320. Excellent display, full hardware calibration like the NEC SpectraView models, at roughly half the cost of NEC SpectraViews. So far I'm quite happy with the BenQ's running side-by-side with my NEC's.
Royce Howland

by photoman4343 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:54 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
I have a NEC 301 30 inch and it came with SpectraView Calibration puck and software. If you get the NEC get the SpectraView too.If you buy it separately you can get it for about $300.

Whatever monitor you get make sure your video card in your new computer has everything on it your monitor will need for it to work as expected.
Joe Smith

by Justin C on Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:01 pm
Justin C
Forum Contributor
The BenQ SW2700PT is a good choice IMO. I'm very happy with mine and would happily buy the same again.
Justin

by signgrap on Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:41 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
I would buy a BenQ in a heart beat except for one thing; that is they only make 16:9 ratio screens in there 30", 32" monitors. I currently use a NEC 2690SV and love it. This has a 16:10 screen ratio which I realty like as I take many vertical images, which display smaller on a 16:9 ratio screen. My wife has this ratio, every time I use her computer I hate the way vertical images are displayed.
Dick Ludwig

by Dan Wolin on Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:54 am
Dan Wolin
Forum Contributor
Royce Howland wrote:I'm a NEC fan, but see my comments in other threads on the 32" 4K monitor from BenQ, the SW320. Excellent display, full hardware calibration like the NEC SpectraView models, at roughly half the cost of NEC SpectraViews. So far I'm quite happy with the BenQ's running side-by-side with my NEC's.
Thanks Royce - I saw those also and they were very highly rated.  I will check your review.  
Dan Wolin
Marshall, MI

by Dan Wolin on Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:13 am
Dan Wolin
Forum Contributor
Thanks everyone for the advice - much appreciated! Sounds like the BenQ models do very well and the price is certainly a bit better.

Dan
Dan Wolin
Marshall, MI

by adamsti on Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:07 pm
adamsti
Forum Contributor
I know most don't think too highly of the Dell monitors, but I have had no issues with any of mine over the years, they calibrate great with X-rite, and prints match. I am also looking at doing the same this spring with a new build, going from the current 27" Dell to the new 4k 32"
http://www.timadamsphotography.com

by Wildflower-nut on Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:57 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
I'd be reluctant to get a dell monitor for use with a non dell computer. I had problems once trying to use one with a sony laptop. Can't remember the details but the monitor was expecting a signal from the laptop as part of the energy conservation system and it never did work right. Had to replace with a NEC.

by adamsti on Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:12 pm
adamsti
Forum Contributor
Wildflower-nut wrote:I'd be reluctant to get a dell monitor for use with a non dell computer.  I had problems once trying to use one with a sony laptop.  Can't remember the details but the monitor was expecting a signal from the laptop as part of the energy conservation system and it never did work right.  Had to replace with a NEC.
That is odd, I have had custom built PC's for at least 10 years now and never had an issue.
http://www.timadamsphotography.com

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:41 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Wildflower-nut wrote:I'd be reluctant to get a dell monitor for use with a non dell computer.  I had problems once trying to use one with a sony laptop.  Can't remember the details but the monitor was expecting a signal from the laptop as part of the energy conservation system and it never did work right.  Had to replace with a NEC.
There is absolutely no problem using a Dell monitor with any computer on the market, including Apple Computers as long as the graphics card in the computer supports the monitor resolution and you are using the right cable and just about any graphics card supports just about any resolution these days.

by Wildflower-nut on Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:09 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
I used various dell monitors for years and only had problems with this one model.  Actually I'm still using a Dell as a second monitor for my photoshop pallets.

It had something to do with an energy saving sleep mode the monitor would go into.  Once it went to sleep my memory is I had to shut everything down and start from a cold start.  Normally I would have expected to only have to tap a key to awaken it.  This was on a windows laptop.  Otherwise it worked fine.  I'm thinking this was about 10-15 years ago.  This is probably not a problem but I'd personally save the packaging in case you need to return it which is probably a good idea no matter what you buy.

15 posts |