All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by Jim Zipp on Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:41 pm
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00150
I wanted a laptop cheap enough to not worry about leaving in cars and rooms when traveling.  Strictly using for transferring and viewing images from the day using Breezebrowser just to make sure all is well and backing up to external drives.
Got a Dell Inspiron i3 7100 with two USB3 ports.... one for the card reader and one for the drive I'm backing up to.  I "thought" the speed of the processor etc might not impact the transfer speed.
Using the same card reader and same external ssd drive the images are simply passing through... in one USB3 and out the other.
Tested on my home system and a 32GB card transferred in 3 min.
Tested on the new laptop, same card, reader and external drive it was almost 10 min.

I knew I'd not be doing any processing on this and wanted to consider it almost "disposable" but looks like it won't work as I'd like.

Viewing images downloaded in Breezebrowser seems to work fine with it though.... just the extended downloading time. 

Any suggestions min specs to speed up the downloading?  (Free shipping and returns from Microsoft on this so not a big deal)

Thanks,  Jim
Jim Zipp
http://www.jimzippphotography.com

by photoman4343 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:48 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Jim, I am no tech expert, but something else might be causing the time discrepancies between the new laptop and your home system.

Do both computers have the same operating systems? Does the laptop have all of the needed drivers? It may be missing one for the SSD external hard drive.

I use 64 GB cards and download to my laptop using Downloader Pro with a fast card reader and my download times are short, like in a few minutes. And my laptop is at least three years old, but it now has an SSD and not a standard hard drive. My desktop has an SSD too. I am not downloading to an external hard drive however, but to the internal drives in both cases.

Joe .
Joe Smith

by Jim Zipp on Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:04 pm
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00150
photoman4343 wrote:Jim, I am no tech expert, but something else might be causing the time discrepancies between the new laptop and your home system.

Do both computers have the same operating systems? Does the laptop have all of the needed drivers? It may be missing one for the SSD external hard drive.

I use 64 GB cards and download to my laptop using Downloader Pro with a fast card reader and my download times are short, like in a few minutes. And my laptop is at least three years old, but it now has an SSD and not a standard hard drive. My desktop has an SSD too. I am not downloading to an external hard drive however, but to the internal drives in both cases.

Joe .

Good point to check the drivers.  I just figured using the same reader and same ssd with the computer just being the USB3 pass through wouldn't matter but makes sense to check the drivers.  Thanks for the tip. 

I don't mind upgrading if I have to.  Just want to keep it at a point where I don't mind leaving it while I'm in the field.  I never plan on doing any processing etc.
Jim Zipp
http://www.jimzippphotography.com

3 posts |