Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by Mark Walrod on Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:30 am
Mark Walrod
Forum Contributor
Hoping to get some opinions for new desktop for image editing.  I currently use an early 2009 Mac Pro and NEC monitor and want to upgrade to a new system, preferably a 27" 2017 5k iMac retina.  Concern is with reported challenges editing images on a glossy screen and calibrating the iMac due to brightness issues. One alternative is to connect a second monitor (NEC) and use it for editing, but that seems like an expensive work around.

The other option is to purchase a spec'd out system from a custom PC builder like Puget systems.  The concern for me is making the switch from Apple to a PC. Curious to get some opinions from folks who have used or use both systems.  How stable and reliable are PC's compared to Mac's these days? I've had my current Mac Pro since early 2009 and have had very few issues (I had to replace a video card) and the occasional unexpected reboot.

I appreciate any opinions.

Mark

by Wildflower-nut on Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:38 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
I too am thinking about a new computer.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:43 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I use both extensively and own both! Basically there is no difference in stability or usability - all the software you use works essentially the same on both platforms. these days, those that argue vehemently one way or the other aren't actually doing on a factual basis but rather on an emotional basis or on a basis of 10 year old knowledge. Go to a Microsoft store, there's one in the Chandler Mall, and just sit down with a Windows system for as long as you like and then decide. I don't know if they have a system with Photoshop on it but realize that it works the same and in some ways a bit better (basically in the way the OS remembers the last folder better) but there is very little difference. One advantage on the hardware side is that Apple is generally one to two process generations behind the state of the art in their offerings where Windows machines can be any generation that you wish from bleeding edge to tried and tested, the other thing is that Microsoft doesn't obsolete software like Apple does with their OS updates. A lot of 5 year old software won't run on a new Mac with the latest OSX. I can still run software from 1982 on a state of the art Windows 10 system. But if you tend to stay with current software that doesn't matter as much. From a stability and usability standpoint, there isn't much difference.

As for editing on an iMac, it isn't a problem. The displays can be calibrated at the right brightness level (I have one of the 5K display imacs). The glossy screen isn't much of a problem either as long as you don't have a window behind you in the reflected screen - you can always put a hood on the monitor which i do even on matte screens. iMacs are great from a space savings standpoint but also aren't all that upgradeable.

by Mark Walrod on Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:46 pm
Mark Walrod
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the replies. Good suggestion to go to a Microsoft store, which I did this afternoon. Hard to get a real feel for the system in the store, but definitely seemed like a nice operating system overall.

EJ, which system do you use primarily for image editing? Also interested to know what Windows 10 system you're using. Any thoughts on purchasing say a Dell vs a comparatively spec'd system from Puget?

Thanks again for your input.

by photoman4343 on Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:37 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Mark, I suggest you consider having a desktop built for you. I have done this three times using a local store in Houston called Micro Center. They do not have one in Arizona, but it looks like there is a store in Mesa that might be able to do the same thing for you. It is My Discount Tech. ( All I know about them is what I found on the Internet. )

http://mydiscount.tech/

http://mydiscount.tech/our-computer-rep ... -pc-build/

A friend helped me with my first one, but you do not need to be a pc expert to get the machine with the right components. The store will have people there to help you get what you need. I added extra (and very quiet) fans to keep the microprocessor and hard drives as cool as possible. And I made sure the motherboard had the space for the RAM I needed and the ports I wanted. And you get only the software you want and need. With brand name pcs you get so much software you do not need. With a local company they are there to help you with upgrades and service if and when needed.

Joe
Joe Smith

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:51 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Mark Walrod wrote:Thanks for the replies. Good suggestion to go to a Microsoft store, which I did this afternoon. Hard to get a real feel for the system in the store, but definitely seemed like a nice operating system overall.

EJ, which system do you use primarily for image editing? Also interested to know what Windows 10 system you're using. Any thoughts on purchasing say a Dell vs a comparatively spec'd system from Puget?

Thanks again for your input.
My system is a hybrid Puget/self-built system - it started out as a Puget system but much of it has been replaced with higher performance stuff - what's left is the 4 HDD hot swap bays, 4 SSD hot swap bays, power supply, internal card reader, harnesses etc but the rest has been replaced - it's a 4GHz i7 system with 32GB of fast RAM, several SSDs, GTX-1080 graphics, etc, etc...  I am running Win 7.1 on my primary image editing system but I have two Win 10 Pro systems as well as 2 OSX systems.

Dell consumer and most of their business computers use absolutely the cheapest components one can imagine.  Yes the systems work but they aren't state of the art nor are they high quality systems but they work - I wouldn't use an off the shelf Dell consumer system for anything mission critical though.  They also aren't leading edge by any stretch of the imagination.

by Mark Walrod on Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:19 am
Mark Walrod
Forum Contributor
Thanks Joe and EJ. I'll probably order a Puget system today and pair it with the NEC PA272W-BK 27" monitor (on sale at B&H for $749).

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:57 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Mark Walrod wrote:Thanks Joe and EJ.  I'll probably order a Puget system today and pair it with the NEC PA272W-BK 27" monitor (on sale at B&H for $749).
You may want to actually talk to them, they can do all sorts of customizations that aren't on the website like my aforementioned hot-swap drive cages....

by Mark Walrod on Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:55 pm
Mark Walrod
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Mark Walrod wrote:Thanks Joe and EJ.  I'll probably order a Puget system today and pair it with the NEC PA272W-BK 27" monitor (on sale at B&H for $749).
You may want to actually talk to them, they can do all sorts of customizations that aren't on the website like my aforementioned hot-swap drive cages....
Great advice. Thanks again

by Dan Wolin on Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:50 pm
Dan Wolin
Forum Contributor
I am getting ready to make this switch also. My 9 year old MacPro will not support any additional OS updates (as EJ noted above) - therefore I cannot upgrade LR or PS to open RAW files on my 1DXII. I will not buy the cylinder MacPro so a good friend of mine is building a windows machine - should be very future proofed:). I do need some monitor suggestions however.
Dan Wolin
Marshall, MI

10 posts |