Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by ChrisRoss on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:40 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the advice on C1 vs LR post, I have downloaded the trial and I have a few questions.

When I'm scrolling through galleries to select the image I want, I can move from image to image with the arrow keys but clicking with the mouse does not select the image - is this how it normally works?

It seems a little slow at times waiting a few seconds before it opens the next image.  Checked looks like the CPU is clocked at 100%, RAM is showing 4.6GB in use (Windows Task Manager)- how to improve this?  I've got a folder with 192 images open.  Clicking to the next image takes CPU from 4% to 100% for about 5-10 seconds.  Folder is on my data drive a regular spinning disc 2TB drive.

I'm  trying to use it like breezbrowser ATM, open a folder, cull, then RAW covert and open in PS to edit, would doing something different help performance?  Is this a catalog vs sessions thing?

Any hints for setting up C1 for best performance?

The results I'm getting seem pretty good, getting used to the different interface, but overall positive so far.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:56 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
- You have to click in the actual thumbnail, not just the frame.  It is a minor annoyance that you have to be very accurate with your click but you get used to it.
- Clicking to the next image should be instantaneous once the previews have been built if you have the preview size preference set properly.  If you don't it has to generate a preview from the RAW file.  So you have to set your preview size in the programs preferences to be the same as your monitor resolution.  For example if you have a 27" monitor which are often 2560 pixels wide, you need to make sure your preferences are set for 2560 wide previews otherwise it has to generate the preview every time.  Once the previews are generated, everything should be instant - it is even on my Microsoft Surface tablet.
- I would recommend you learn the power of the program as you can do 90% of what you are going to do to an image in C1 prior to RAW conversion including adjustment layers and so forth.  C1 is nearly infinitely more powerful than BreezeBrowser and using it as a BB replacement really misses most of its power.  I highly recommend both the Phase One You tube channel and all of its webinars as well as the Luminous Landscape Capture One training videos starting with Capture One 7 and then building on those with each new version.
- A fast graphics card really helps C1P a lot!
- There should be no difference in sessions vs catalogs as far as image editing performance is concerned.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have other questions

by ChrisRoss on Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:42 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
Thanks EJ, seems to be working now, I was clicking the image before and nothing but now it opens quickly.

The next question is, I opened a session and imported files to review and work on, and C1 created a new folder and copied all the files from my first folder to a new sub folder in the session folder, So I have an image folder and under that C1 created an untitled sessions folder and in that a Captures folder in which it copied all my files from the image folder and also saved a tiff version of the files I worked on.

This is creating duplicate storage I'd rather not have and also saving the tiffs which I do out of CS6 to other folders I have setup to keep layered tiff files I have worked. Can I create a session which doesn't copy all this stuff in duplicate? It seems the default behavior is setup for pulling images off cards, which is fine but I'd like to not do that for my existing folders of RAW files.

Seems like I'm starting off the wrong way, I'd like to be able to go into a folder look around and then preview and work on files, then swap to a new folder.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:14 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
ChrisRoss wrote:Thanks EJ, seems to be working now, I was clicking the image before and nothing but now it opens quickly.  

The next question is, I opened a session and imported files to review and work on, and C1 created a new folder and copied all the files from my first folder to a new sub folder in the session folder,  So I have an  image folder and under that C1 created an untitled sessions folder and in that a Captures folder in which it copied all my files from the image folder and also saved a tiff version of the files I worked on.  

This is creating duplicate storage I'd rather not have and also saving the tiffs which I do out of CS6 to other folders I have setup to keep layered tiff files I have worked.  Can I create a session which doesn't copy all this stuff in duplicate?  It seems the default behavior is setup for pulling images off cards, which is fine but I'd like to not do that for my existing folders of RAW files.

Seems like I'm starting off the wrong way, I'd like to be able to go into a folder look around and then preview and work on files, then swap to a new folder.
I work exactly the way you want to work so you are doing something different then me.  Perhaps it's that I do not use C1P to do the import from my memory cards.  I simply create the folder that I want and copy the files into them using the OS.  The when i launch C1P in an untitled session, I simply navigate to the folder I want to work on.  There is a sub folder created in that folder but it only contains the previews and files that describe the adjustments I've made for each photo so there is no duplicate storage.

by ChrisRoss on Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:40 am
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
I don't either (use it for import from cards that is) . I'm away right now so I'll give it another go when I get back.. Thanks again, sure I'll have more questions, but it will click soon enough,
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia

by DChan on Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:03 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
It seems to me whether I import the files by opening a new session/catalog, by clicking on the file itself inside Capture One under "library", or by right clicking on the file itself in Windows file explorer and select to open it using Capture One, sub-folders will be created as E.J. said.

I also noticed that if I somehow deleted a session (or catalog for that matter I think), when I load up Capture One next time, Capture One will open up a "recent" window and tells me that the files are not found and suggested that they might have been removed or deleted. That's all fine if not for the reason that I cannot get rid of that "error message/reminder" window unless I choose to start a new session. It does have a "browse" button but I'm not sure what it's for as last time I tried it it did not allow me to choose any folder to open up any files. And if I choose "quit", then it really quits, i.e., Capture One just quits. I found this process quite stupid but it's likely just me.

I don't use Capture One to import files from the memory cards/cameras either. I also don't choose "new session" or "new catalog" to start the process. I select "import images" or scroll down to the file I want under "library".

6 posts |