« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by Phil Shaw on Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:51 pm
Phil Shaw
Forum Contributor
Member #:00106
On my last trip, I ran out of back-up space - Samsung T3 1Tb ssd, so I need something larger.  I am looking at the Samsung T5 2Tb ssd and the SanDisk Extreme 900 1.92Tb ssd.  Anyone have any thoughts about these, other than the horrendous price.  I have always used SanDisk cards in my cameras and (touch wood) have never had a problem with SanDisk products.  I have also had good experience with Samsung stuff, including the T3.  Although the 'specs' on the SanDisk Extreme look to be better than the Samsung T5, I'm pretty certain my laptop won't be able to take advantage of the high transfer speeds.  I'm inclined to go with the Samsung, although it is a little bit more expensive than the SanDisk, based on the trouble free experience I've had with their ssds in the past.  A SanDisk ssd would be a new departure for me.

Phil Shaw
Essex, UK
[color=#008000][url]http://www.naturephotopro.com[/url][/color]

by Anthony Medici on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:51 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
I tend to use the Samsung since they are smaller form factor than most of the other possibilities. Yes, the 2TB versions are expensive.

I'm not sure how you managed to fill an empty 1 TB drive on a single trip...
Tony

by Royce Howland on Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:16 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
I can fill a 1TB drive on a photography trip of 2 - 3 weeks, let alone one lasting longer than that. It's easier to do if my wife is travelling with me, since she'll do some shooting to fill the hours waiting for me. :)

Sandisk SSD's are an unknown quantity to me, although I have stuck to their CF and SD cards almost exclusively for the past decade. For SSD's, I've been running Crucial and Samsung models in my laptops and desktops, no issues with either brand. I'd probably stick with Samsung once I get around to upgrading my portable storage from spinning hard disks to SSD. The smallest I want to travel with is 3 x 2TB; the price of that has been prohibitive to go with SSD, so I haven't made that move yet...
Royce Howland

by Primus on Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:58 pm
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
Anthony Medici wrote:I tend to use the Samsung since they are smaller form factor than most of the other possibilities. Yes, the 2TB versions are expensive.

I'm not sure how you managed to fill an empty 1 TB drive on a single trip...

With the high resolution sensors like the A7R series and super high fps rates of cameras like the Sony A9 it doesn't take long. 

On my last trip I had the A9 set on maximum speed and in the 'silent' mode. Even in a relatively quiet environment like a safari vehicle, I had no idea how many images I had taken. I was careful to only press the shutter release in very short 1-2 shot bursts (or so I thought). It was only when I looked at the card that evening I realized how many images the camera had taken. 

After that I did not use the high speed at all during the entire trip but set it at medium with sound enabled but only as an electronic shutter. 

Given the huge capacity of the cards too, it is not difficult to fill up a 1TB drive, although in my 10 days I 'only' managed a total of 20,000 images :-)

I too carry the 1 TB T3 with me though may need the higher capacity ones in the future :-(

Pradeep

4 posts |