« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 15 posts | 
by signgrap on Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:59 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Seems like the new release of Affinity Photo 1.6 has a lot to offer at $44.99, BUT is it enough to make it a suitable replacement for PS?
https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/ 
Dick Ludwig

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:30 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It is a very capable replacement for the actual Photoshop module itself. There is little to nothing that it doesn't have in that regard. Where it is weak is in 100% compatibility with plug-ins. While many, if not most do work fine, some like several of the Nik modules do not. Also, it's RAW conversion module is not as good as ACR and that's not saying much because ACR is only average and Affinity is behind ACR. But as a program to drop your RAW conversions into, like the Photoshop module, it is very capable. I believe they have a trial period so it costs nothing to try it out.

Personally, if and when the plug-ins that I use, are fully supported, I will leave Photoshop CS6 and go to Affinity. I have left Adobe from a RAW conversion and DAM standpoint more than 2 years ago.

by pdschu on Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:15 pm
pdschu
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote: I have left Adobe from a RAW conversion and DAM standpoint  more than 2 years ago.

And moved to what program for RAW conversion?
Paul Schumacher
Schumacher Photography

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:54 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Capture One Pro

by hcarl on Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:38 pm
hcarl
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Capture One Pro
E.J.  Does Capture One Pro do the raw conversions for D850 and D500?

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:42 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
hcarl wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:Capture One Pro
E.J.  Does Capture One Pro do the raw conversions for D850 and D500?
Yes and they are much better than ACR/LR

by DChan on Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:55 am
DChan
Forum Contributor
In case anyone wants to know, both Affinity Photo 1.6 and DxO PhotoLab Elite support D850. Confirmed by my own experiences.

by baldsparrow on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:36 am
baldsparrow
Forum Contributor
There seem to a bundle of PS alternatives coming along in the next while ... does anyone have any thoughts or inside knowledge on Pixelmator Pro that is to be released soon.

by Richard B. on Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:41 pm
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
Member #:01199
Regards the bundle of PS alternatives, I'm surprised that DxO Photo Lab is not being mentioned especially after their acquisition of Nik? Does it not measure up in raw conversions and post processing at this time?

Richard

by DChan on Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:56 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Richard B. wrote:Regards the bundle of PS alternatives, I'm surprised that DxO Photo Lab is not being mentioned especially after their acquisition of Nik? Does it not measure up in raw conversions and post processing at this time?

Richard
DxO Photo Lab is not being mentioned because E.J. does not use it :lol: 

Joke aside, the brand new DxO PhotoLab is pretty much the re-branding of DxO Optics Pro which came out in 2004 (or earlier). As Adobe pretty much dominates the market and so it should not be a surprise that many folks use Adobe's ACR/Photoshop and did not give any thought to other programs until recently. The last version of Optics Pro is Optics Pro 11. I believe DxO Optics Pro has been mentioned here a few times as an option. I don't think it does not measure up in raw conversions and post processing. I use it myself. (among other programs). I think at the end of the day it depends on if its features and ways of processing fit your workflow and the results are up to your expectation. If you want to find out more, you could download it and try it yourself. Or just go to some retouching forums and take a look at the discussions about it.

by Richard B. on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:28 pm
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
Thanks DChan.

I knew about the rebranding of the old product. I'm not familiar with retouching forums. .Do you have any recommendations?

Richard

by DChan on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:48 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Richard B. wrote:Thanks DChan.

I knew about the rebranding of the old product. I'm not familiar with retouching forums. .Do you have any recommendations?

Richard
Here's a long thread on PhotoLab:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60286758

It started about a week ago :-)

by Richard B. on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:58 pm
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
Thanks again. Just found it a couple of minutes ago. There seem to be concerns that the Nik implementation in PhotoLab is not as robust as the original product, specific problem mentioned is no B/W preview of the mask created by Control Point. Also concerns regards rendering speed. I would think the program may be further developed now that they offer Nik.

Don't want to spend my "extra" hour tonight reading an 8 page post so I'll leave it for tomorrow.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:21 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
DChan wrote:
Richard B. wrote:Regards the bundle of PS alternatives, I'm surprised that DxO Photo Lab is not being mentioned especially after their acquisition of Nik? Does it not measure up in raw conversions and post processing at this time?

Richard
DxO Photo Lab is not being mentioned because E.J. does not use it :lol: 

Joke aside, the brand new DxO PhotoLab is pretty much the re-branding of DxO Optics Pro which came out in 2004 (or earlier). As Adobe pretty much dominates the market and so it should not be a surprise that many folks use Adobe's ACR/Photoshop and did not give any thought to other programs until recently. The last version of Optics Pro is Optics Pro 11. I believe DxO Optics Pro has been mentioned here a few times as an option. I don't think it does not measure up in raw conversions and post processing. I use it myself. (among other programs). I think at the end of the day it depends on if its features and ways of processing fit your workflow and the results are up to your expectation. If you want to find out more, you could download it and try it yourself. Or just go to some retouching forums and take a look at the discussions about it.
Actually I would have but this thread asked about Affinity and I hadn't seen the thread below my last comment until just now.  But, lets not confuse RAW converters with Photoshop replacements...  For some, a powerful full featured RAW converter is all they ever need.  But if you need the things that Photoshop does that RAW converters, even the most full featured ones, don't have, then Affinity is the only thing that we have discussed that is in that category.  While there is plenty of overlap, people keep mixing up DAM/RAW converters (LR, C1P, DXO, etc) with powerful image editing platforms (PS, Corel Draw, Affinity) which are not the same thing.

by DChan on Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:22 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:... While there is plenty of overlap, people keep mixing up DAM/RAW converters (LR, C1P, DXO, etc) with powerful image editing platforms (PS, Corel Draw, Affinity) which are not the same thing.
I agreed. Personally, I don't worry about not being able to process my raw files be they from a brand new camera. I'm sure the camera manufacturers will make sure I can :-)

15 posts |