« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:06 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Last week Microsoft started pushing a new version of Windows 10 during the update process called Win 10 FCE (Fall Creators Update).  This has brought some incompatibility issues for photographers:

1. Capture One Pro does not save layer mask adjustments made to the images if using Sessions.  Phase One has warned people to not do this update - of course since Microsoft just pushes these things, short of telling the OS that you are on a metered connection there isn't much you can do about it.

2. My Pixelflash CF card reader now says that the device has failed.  I actually bought a new card reader on a recent trip due to this but I get home and try it on computers that do not have the Win 10 FCE update and it works fine.

If you are a Win 10 user and this update has been done (it is Windows version 1709) and you are getting messages like some hardware has failed or some functions on software are acting weird, there's a good chance it is this FCU version that's the cause.  Hopefully there will be bug fixes released quickly.

The internet is full of problems with the rollout of this version.  There is a way to revert to a previous version but it only works for 10 days.

by signgrap on Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:15 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Which version of win 10 are you using?
Dick Ludwig

by photoman4343 on Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:07 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
After the update, my laptop says win 10, version 1709.

Here is one problem I just started having after the update went into effect. When using Nikon View NXi, it cannot read image files on a card with the card in a USB card reader attached to the laptop. They can be read by win 10.

And when I shut down, I get a notice that an app is still active and the laptop will not shut down unless i force a shutdown.
Joe Smith

by DChan on Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:42 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
photoman4343 wrote: And when I shut down, I get a notice that an app is still active and the laptop will  not shut down unless i force a shutdown.
This's not specific to Win 10.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:47 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
1709 is definitely having problems with some card readers not being recognized properly and returning an error that says a defective device was plugged into the computer.  The app not fully shutting down when you exit it is probably a Nikon problem.  There simply isn't a worse photography software company on the planet than Nikon although Sony does give them a run for their money...  Heck Nikon's own software update checker can't figure out what version of software is installed...

by Bill Chambers on Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:17 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
How do I find out what version I have?

E.J., do you know if Capture One will come up with a fix for this issue?
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by EGrav on Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:27 pm
EGrav
Forum Contributor
According to Phaseone website (forum), they are working on fix already. Be calm.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:36 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Bill Chambers wrote:How do I find out what version I have?

E.J., do you know if Capture One will come up with a fix for this issue?
Of course C1 will fix it.  

To see which version - use the search bar, enter winver and hit Enter. A small window will pop up showing you the Edition, Version and OS Build that you've got.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:25 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Note that Capture One 10.2.1 is now out and it fixes the lost layers in sessions problem introduced with the new Windows 10 update (Fall Creators version 1709).  Before anyone asks, it does not magically recover previously lost adjustment layers.

It also add a7r3 support.

9 posts |