« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by bradmangas on Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:44 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
A few days ago I installed a new graphics card, Nvida GTX 1050 Ti. Display is NEC along with the spectraview II calibration system.
I have used this monitor and Spectraview II for about 5 years now no issue. Still calibrates fine within its 98% or so Adobe RGB tolerance.
What is taking place now after the installation of this new graphics card is Windows (10) disables the NEC display. It works fine as far as coming on and functioning like a normal display, but what this causes is when Spectraview loads it no longer sees the NEC display and states “display device unknown”. When this happens I cannot calibrate the monitor.

When looking at the displays properties in Windows device manager it states “Device disabled” code 22. At that point in device manager I can simply click the “Enable” button and Windows enables it and states “Device working properly”. All is good at that point. I can restart Spectraview II software, it finds the NEC display and I can calibrate fine.

Everything is good until the PC is rebooted. Then the same scenario is repeated. Spectraview does not see the monitor because Windows has disabled it. So I have to re-enable it again and after each reboot.

This was never an issue with the older graphics card. The new graphics card has the most current driver and I have even re-downloaded the display configuration from NEC for the display. 

With all that being said, any idea why Windows is disabling the display after each reboot?

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:34 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Are you sure when you installed the card you connected the auxiliary power cables to the card?

by bradmangas on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:07 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Are you sure when you installed the card you connected the auxiliary power cables to the card?

No auxiliary power connector on this card.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M2 ... UTF8&psc=1

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:52 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
OK, that's unusual these days. Have you tried a different port, possibly one of the display port connections? It's kind of hard to diagnose something like this remotely. Maybe the card is actually defective.

by bradmangas on Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:00 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
I haven't tried a different port but sounds like I need to to start with. Wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious before digging back in to it. I appreciate your advice E.J.

by jrhoffman75 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:01 pm
jrhoffman75
Forum Contributor
Did this happen after installing Windows Fall Creator update?

I have a BenQ monitor with the BenQ calibration software. After updating the software would issue an error that it was unable to find a supported BenQ monitor. It worked fine prior to the update.

Rolling back to version 1703 solved the problem.

I didn't see your problem before the rollback; I don'y know if the enable would have worked for me.

by goldingd on Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:09 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
A couple of observations/thoughts

(Edit, never mind this sentence ) The link you gave to The GPU appears to be for some other product, a MSI product, not a Nividaproduct, yes, I know a Nvida chip could be on the MSI card, but was that the correct link.

Second, sounds more like an issue with the spectraview software, not windows, either the spectraview has a default setting not compatible with the card or it is simply not working with the card. Perhaps you can go to a website for support on that software for troubleshooting.

Edit/ hmm looking at Nvidia, 

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1050/

No aux power connectors, how odd

Folloup/ look at the spectraview II manuals troubleshooting section, some specific info on issues with hardware changes like GPUs. http://update.necdisplay.com/spectraview/SpectraView_II_UsersGuide_1.1.09_English.pdf

by jrhoffman75 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:19 pm
jrhoffman75
Forum Contributor
Go into Windows Settings and turn off all Gaming options.

by Mike in O on Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:47 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
goldingd wrote:A couple of observations/thoughts

(Edit, never mind this sentence ) The link you gave to The GPU appears to be for some other product, a MSI product, not a Nividaproduct, yes, I know a Nvida chip could be on the MSI card, but was that the correct link.

Second, sounds more like an issue with the spectraview software, not windows, either the spectraview has a default setting not compatible with the card or it is simply not working with the card. Perhaps you can go to a website for support on that software for troubleshooting.

Edit/ hmm looking at Nvidia, 

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1050/

No aux power connectors, how odd

Folloup/ look at the spectraview II manuals troubleshooting section, some specific info on issues with hardware changes like GPUs. http://update.necdisplay.com/spectraview/SpectraView_II_UsersGuide_1.1.09_English.pdf
I upgraded to the 1050 (2meg) and no aux power needed and it works great.

by bradmangas on Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:44 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
Appreciate the advice offered on this issue. I am still fighting this. Changed slots on MB for the graphics card, no difference. I have carefully read the Spectraview II manual more than once, not much help other than "update graphics card driver" (which was done when initially installed, and then even a second time). Graphics card actually works fine in every respect.

jrhoffman: (Did this happen after installing Windows Fall Creator update? And, turn of gaming.) I have not updated to the Fall Creators Update as of yet.

As mentioned previously, all I have to do is go into control panel and enable the NEC disply after restart/reboot. It enables fine and then Spectraview recognizes the display and it can be calibrated. This is a supported display device by Spectraview, I have been using it for about 5 years now.

I am coming to the conclusion this is an issue between the graphics card, Windows OS, and the Spectraview II software combination. Separately they all work fine, and I can make them all work together simply by enabling the display in control panel after any reboot. But something is amiss when it comes to communicating to the Spectraview II software with this graphics card. I have to keep in mind this is all due to the graphics card and what seems to be my inability to find what is disabling the NEC display upon reboot. 

I will probably mess with it a couple more days and then I am going to get a different graphics card if I have not resolved this. The Nvidia 1050 Ti 4GB seems to be all I really need and it is in my price range. It goes in my desktop which is also 5 years or so old. It is a good machine and I have maxed it out in most other ways. I am simply trying to squeeze a little more life out it before I shell out substantial money to replace it.  

Thanks again for the previous advice and any more that may be shared.

by signgrap on Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:16 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Have you updated Spectraview II to the latest version?
Click Help > Check for Updates
Dick Ludwig

11 posts |