« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 28 posts | 
by signgrap on Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:25 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
"All Lightroom products now require a subscription. Lightroom CC 6.x will be the last stand-alone, non-subscription version that Adobe releases; it will be updated for bug fixes and camera compatibility through the end of the year."
See details hear:
https://www.dpreview.com/news/979335364 ... om-classic

This is why I followed E.J.'s lead well over a year ago and switched to Capture One from Lightroom 6.
Dick Ludwig

by DChan on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:50 am
DChan
Forum Contributor
Nothing lasts forever.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:14 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
From a May 2013 Q&A on the Adobe website when they first announced the CC version:

Q. Will Lightroom become a subscription only offering after Lightroom 5?

A. Future versions of Lightroom will be made available via traditional perpetual licenses indefinitely.

I'm guessing this page will disappear off of the Adobe website soon:
http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal ... cloud.html

by Bill Chambers on Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:47 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:From a May 2013 Q&A on the Adobe website when they first announced the CC version:

Q. Will Lightroom become a subscription only offering after Lightroom 5?

A. Future versions of Lightroom will be made available via traditional perpetual licenses indefinitely.

I'm guessing this page will disappear off of the Adobe website soon:
http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal ... cloud.html
Yep, Adobe lies.  They should run for Congress. :mrgreen:
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by steve white on Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:54 pm
steve white
Forum Contributor
So, does C 1 have a cataloging and collections feature to organize your photos similar to LR? I have an extensive collections set up in LR 6.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:08 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
steve white wrote:So, does C 1 have a cataloging and collections feature to organize your photos similar to LR? I have an extensive collections set up in LR 6.
It allows you to organize your photos in three different ways:
1. in a file and folder structure similar to Bridge
2. in a sessions style which is not available in Adobe products
3. In a catalog style like LR (there is debate over which one does it better, long time LR users like LR, long time C1 users like C1)

There is some capability of importing a LR catalog into C1.

The full C1 Pro program is available for free for 30 days so you can try it yourself.  the learning curve is steep for some but there are lots of incredibly good resources available to learn.

As for the RAW conversions themselves, they are leaps and bounds better than LR including full adjustment layers, etc, all done prior to RAW conversion.

If you want to discuss LR to C1 transition more, lets do it in a different thread and keep this thread focused on the LR to CC only announcement.

by Anthony Medici on Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:52 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
E.J. Peiker wrote:... indefinitely
The problem with that word is the definition. It means for an unlimited or unspecified period of time. Most people will take that to mean forever. Yet it could also mean any amount of time they wanted.

It makes a good word to use when you want to trick someone into thinking one thing while you know you will be doing another thing.
Tony

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:36 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I was actually focusing on a different word recognizing the same thing you did Tony.  I was zeroing in on the word "versions" in response to the question about Lightroom 5.  At this point they have only released Lightroom 6 as a stand alone which is singular not plural...  They would argue that they have released a bunch of sub versions...  But one could argue that the question was about major versions and since they have only released one major version while promising more than that when they used the plural word versions...

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:52 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I was foolishly hanging onto the hope that, at some point, Adobe would offer Photoshop CS6 users a one time offer to update their perpetual license CS6 software to the current feature set for a $200 or so since they continued to offer a stand alone LR.  With this announcement it is clear that Adobe has no interest in bringing those that absolutely will not do a software subscription under any circumstance back into the fold.  Anybody that they can't constantly suck money out of are simply not somebody they care about.  Fortunately we are seeing more and more credible competitors but the fear I have with those is company financial stability and Adobe's financial capability to take virtually any Photoshop competitor out any time they want to.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:46 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
As is often the case, Thom Hogan offers up one of the more cogent articles on this change - make sure you read through including the last two paragraphs...
http://www.dslrbodies.com/accessories/s ... ments.html

by WJaekel on Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:37 am
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
I bet that Adobe will pull the plug on the now called LR "Classic" after some time, too, in order to force everybody to move completely to the CC version and the cloud storage. As proved, you cannot trust Adobe no matter how sophisticated the interpretation of the word "indefinetly" had been in their past promise proclaiming to keep the stand alone version. To have all my photos in the cloud, and an incalculable amount of hours worth of work held at ransom by Adobe would be an absolute no go for me, not to speak of the ridiculous rip off for storage prices, privacy issues (with some Europeans maybe being more conservative here), bandwith problems and risks of failure by the cloud operator causing your data to become crypted, corrupted or inaccesssible. I'm also pretty sure that the price of the cloud storage will further go up once the majority is hooked. I personally don't need to access my data from everywhere in the world and I don't think that it reasonably can work for the foreseeable future once you're in Antarctica, Africa or elsewhere in remote regions considering the bandwith, speed and costs. But with the market aiming to the smartphone shooters and snapshot crowd, the needs and wishes of serious photographers obviously are getting more and more obsolete. However, some will appreciate the move and rate it a technological progress, though. BTW, few people care about the big company's massive strategy to collect, combine and market their personal data under the flag of technological advance in the cloud-based services - apart from the profit they gain from the rental itself.

I'm glad that I have been using CaptureOne for raw conversion from the start. But I also have been using PS for editing and LR for organizing, keywording and building collections since LR has been more intuitive and straight forward to me in the past here than C1. I don't know Affinity and PS certainly has been the gold standard up to now. Of course, nobody knows for sure that CaptureOne will remain a stand alone application in the future. But I hope that I still can live with the combination of PS CS6, C1 and LR 6 with the latter just being a tool for organizing for the next future - at least until the next major upgrade of my Win7 ultimate system doesn't support PS CS 6 / LR6.x anymore.  Anyway, though further changes had to be expected after Adobe's first move to the subsription model, it's a sad day again. It seems we're jumping from one sinking ship to another.

Wolfgang

by Jim Zipp on Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:11 pm
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00150
The "Street" seems to like it. Adobe hit an all time high today and was up over 11 percent. I doubt there's any stopping that trend when the investors seem so keen on it.
Jim Zipp
http://www.jimzippphotography.com

by signgrap on Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:20 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Wolfgang I think Adobe already has "pulled the plug" on LR 6 Stand-alone as Adobe won't be adding any new cameras to LR 6 after Dec 31, 2017. If anyone buys a new camera after the 12/31; LR 6 won't be able to do RAW conversions on these files effectively ending LR for people who regularly upgrade their cameras.
Dick Ludwig

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:26 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
signgrap wrote:Wolfgang I think Adobe already has "pulled the plug" on LR 6 Stand-alone as Adobe won't be adding any new cameras to LR 6  after Dec 31, 2017. If anyone buys a new camera after the 12/31; LR 6 won't be able to do RAW conversions on these files effectively ending LR for people who regularly upgrade their cameras.
True unless you are willing to convert them to DNG first.

by MND on Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:17 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
Affinity is coming on in leaps and bounds.

$49.99

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

by Wade Thorson on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:24 pm
Wade Thorson
Forum Contributor
What a bunch of A**holes.  There is no reason they couldn't offer both stand alone and subscription. The more choices the better for the consumer, and ultimately themselves. It would actually hurt the competition if they had choices. They're keeping amateurs out of the club, and tarnishing their image.  

I'm with Wolfgang. I for one will not be storing my images in the cloud.  There is no guarantee that any cloud is secure. If Yahoo or Equifax can't keep their information secure, no one can.  

It's unfortunate that we have to be held captive by the fascist corporate culture. But we created it by voting with our wallets. If the subscription model wasn't so successful, than it wouldn't exist.

We've seen the death of Brick and Mortar stores, physical media (dvd, cds), boxed software, and soon local storage.  We already have to pay for water, electricity, gas and data on a subscription basis. Pretty soon we'll need a subscription to air. Seriously.

Start up selling China Air
http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/15/asia/china-canadian-company-selling-clean-air/index.html
"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."
                 -Shakespeare Troilus and Cressida

Alpine Imaging | Wade Thorson Photography

by signgrap on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:32 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Here's Adobes final word on the last camera update for LR 6 - Dec 31 read more here:
https://www.dpreview.com/news/852411990 ... f-the-year
Dick Ludwig

by PV Hiker on Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:34 pm
PV Hiker
Forum Contributor
Here is another informational page linked from Outdoor Photographer email we received. I read all the comments and people are not happy, even how the writer presented it.

https://www.outdoorphotographer.com/lig ... m-classic/
Patrick

by Wildflower-nut on Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:14 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Whether we like it or not, I think all software is going to head move to a subscription model not just adobe and camera software..

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:56 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Wildflower-nut wrote:Whether we like it or not, I think all software is going to head move to a subscription model not just adobe and camera software..
Only if we let it.  If more people refused to get sucked into the subscription model, they would have fewer customers...
I will not do subscription software.  There is no other photo related or any other type of software that I use that doesn't have a non-subscription version or alternative, only Adobe and Adobe has lost me as a customer, likely forever.  There are plenty of alternatives and plenty of companies pledging to always offer stand alone versions.  There are also more and more people jumping off the Adobe train.  The recent LR decisions has me fielding dozens of questions everyday about making the jump to Capture One which is available as subscription or stand alone with a pledge from the developer that it will always be offered in a stand alone format and that the features between the two will always be completely in sync.  The more people these companies lose as customers, the more their business model starts to suffer.  In the case of Adobe, they don't give a rats a$$ about individual photographers so they are not likely to change back as their institutional customers prefer subscription and that's 90% of their profit, but other companies do actually care what their individual customers want.

28 posts |