« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 28 posts | 
by Marshall Black on Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:26 pm
Marshall Black
Lifetime Member
Member #:00417
Lightroom came from a software that was free. Can't remember the name.
Abobe bought it, made Lightroom.
Adobe might be able to buy all the competition they want to...
But, I am leaving, just waiting to be bought out.

by DChan on Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:26 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Marshall Black wrote:Lightroom came from a software that was free. Can't remember the name.
Adobe Camera Raw.

by hcarl on Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:34 am
hcarl
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:
Marshall Black wrote:Lightroom came from a software that was free. Can't remember the name.
Adobe Camera Raw.
Adobe bought a program called Raw Shooter if my memory serves me correct.  Raw Shooter users were supposed to get Lightroom free and the upgrades were supposed to remain free.  That didn't last long and like the rest of Adobe programs soon changed to pay for upgrades. Hcarl

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:49 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
hcarl wrote:
DChan wrote:
Adobe Camera Raw.
Adobe bought a program called Raw Shooter if my memory serves me correct.  Raw Shooter users were supposed to get Lightroom free and the upgrades were supposed to remain free.  That didn't last long and like the rest of Adobe programs soon changed to pay for upgrades. Hcarl
Adobe is one of those companies that has completely sold out to caring about just one thing, shareholder value and has lost all sense of the customer comes first. We live in a time where lying and cheating is all perfectly fine if it furthers their ultimate desire.

by EGrav on Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:53 am
EGrav
Forum Contributor
hcarl wrote:
DChan wrote:
Adobe Camera Raw.

Thank You!!!! I couldn't remember the name of the program (Raw Shooter) and it was driving me nuts!!!!
:P

by signgrap on Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:43 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
A huge portion of the GUI of the first release of Lightroom was RawShooter (developed by Pixmantec). I had been using RawShooter exclusively for a couple years prior to the release of LR. Anybody who had been using RS could use LR without any instruction (that's how close the two programs were). Yes Adobe added some some new things but the basics were RS e.g. Vibrance, Clarity, the GUI using sliders, etc. How much Adobe changed things "behind the scenes" I couldn't say but from a user standpoint RS and LR were very close indeed. People who were existing RS owners (PRO pay for version I believe) were promised a free copy of LR and free updates for version 1 but Adobe never promised free upgrades to version 2 or thereafter. My memory says that Adobe lived up to that commitment. RS, I think had a free dumbed down version and a Pro version that cost something like $15-25. This was a long time ago so I may have gotten something wrong. Michael Tapes was a big promoter of RS and had a website setup devoted to free training and the sale of RS. Michael Reichmann of the Luminous Landscape was a friend of Michael Tapes and would at times promote Tapes' website and RS. That's how I first learned of RS.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Adobe fan for all the reasons E.J. has pointed out but LR has done a lot to promote RAW processing and make it easy to do, helping to make the RAW format the only way to do serious digital photography.
Dick Ludwig

by PopeShawnPaul on Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:31 pm
PopeShawnPaul
Forum Contributor
So I tried the whole CC thing... I paid the $10 for the first month and tried. What a crock! I've used classic forever and have my smugmug plugin to easily update my website. None of my photos can be imported into CC because I have too many for the default storage space. So then you have to buy more online storage space and I refuse to do that. Folder structures are lost in CC so you'd have to painstakingly organize in new collections. Lightroom is losing me as a customer.

I tried C1 but man is it technical and there is a steep learning curve. No smugmug integration for a website is also a major drawback but one I may have to live with. I'm going back to LR classic and going to try and figure out C1...
www.shawnmccully.com

by EGrav on Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:15 pm
EGrav
Forum Contributor
PopeShawnPaul wrote:So I tried the whole CC thing...  I paid the $10 for the first month and tried.  What a crock!  I've used classic forever and have my smugmug plugin to easily update my website.  None of my photos can be imported into CC because I have too many for the default storage space.  So then you have to buy more online storage space and I refuse to do that.  Folder structures are lost in CC so you'd have to painstakingly organize in new collections.  Lightroom is losing me as a customer.

I tried C1 but man is it technical and there is a steep learning curve.  No smugmug integration for a website is also a major drawback but one I may have to live with.  I'm going back to LR classic and going to try and figure out C1...

If you haven't done it yet, look at the C1 Pro webinars on youtube. Usually they produce 5 or 6 for each version (v 10, v 11, etc.) Each is about an hour- but very well done. I didn't fall asleep once. That is all you need to learn C1. Each version has made dramatic improvements, so hang in there. I wish I had switched to C1 Pro years ago!
:D

28 posts |