« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by WJaekel on Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:18 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
I need to replace the SSD in my Desktop PC by a bigger one since there’s only 1,5 GB of free space left on the 250 GB Intel SSD that is built in in my PC (2010). The SSD houses the OS (Win 7 Ultimate) and the Apps. The data rest on several  internal HDs. I got a 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD that shall replace the INTEL SSD. As to the cloning process, I plan to use the Macrium tool or Samsung’s tool which came with the SSD. Don’t know which one is better/safer.

My first question refers to the TRIM support:  Do I need to enable TRIM on the new SSD prior to the cloning procedure or is it activated by default on today’s drives ? How can I check that and eventually switch it on ? The target SSD will be connected through USB  for the cloning process, though, since I have no room in the PC to install it internally in addition. Or, is it fine to activate TRIM once the SSD is built in after the replacement ?

Secondly, does anybody know if I “loose” the licenses for my programs after the transfer on the new SSD  because of the hardware change ? To deactivate and reactivate all the licenses for Win, PS CS6, LR, Capture ONE 10… etc . would really be a mass – especially for the “outdated” stand alone Adobe products, now.  Some time ago, I had replaced the HD in my Macbook pro by a SSD including the Bootcamp partition by using Carbon Copy and Winclone and did not need to reactivate the programs, though. But it’s the first time to clone the OS and programs on my Desktop machine.

Any further hints regarding the cloning process are appreciated, too, of course.

Thank you in advance
Wolfgang

http://www.wjaekel-foto.de

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:37 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
If it's a Samsung it will require Samsung magician on the drive in order for it to work so a macrium clone won't work (it would for samsung to samsung or for samsung to another manufacturer drive but not other manufacturer to Samsung - its the only real downside to Samsung SSDs, even there portable ones). You will have to use Samsung's migration tools which will set everything properly. It can be done, and I've done it with Macrium but it's a major pain in the butt that requires some weird machinations that I can't even remember off the top of my head.

As for licenses, the answer is no on a clone in general unless the license checks hardware ID's, the only thing I'm aware of that does that is Windows.

by WJaekel on Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:12 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:If it's a Samsung it will require Samsung magician on the drive in order for it to work so a macrium clone won't work (it would for samsung to samsung or for samsung to another manufacturer drive but not other manufacturer to Samsung - its the only real downside to Samsung SSDs, even there portable ones).  You will have to use Samsung's migration tools which will set everything properly.  It can be done, and I've done it with Macrium but it's a major pain in the butt that requires some weird machinations that I can't even remember off the top of my head.

As for licenses, the answer is no on a clone in general unless the license checks hardware ID's, the only thing I'm aware of that does that is Windows.
Thank you very much for your quick reply, E.J. -very helpfull, I didn't know the problems with regard to cloning to a Samsung from another brand and had tended to use Macrium. So your infornation probably prevented me from running into a dead end street :) .

Just one additional question : Does the Samsung migration tool also enable the TRIM setting I had inquired about ?

Thank you again

Wolfgang

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:13 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
"You will have to use Samsung's migration tools which will set everything properly." - that includes TRIM. It's not something the user needs to worry about in modern SSDs.

by WJaekel on Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:48 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
Thank you again, E.J.  I did the cloning with Samsung's Magican tool last night as you had advised and from what I've checked so far, everything works fine as it did on the old SSD. No message from Windows 7 Ultimate until now as for the license after the hardware change. Capture One 10 was deactivated on the target SSD, though, and I had to fix that via my account at PhaseOne. But no problem.

Wolfgang
http://www.wjaekel-foto.de

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:58 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Excellent - yes this isn't as traumatic of an upgrade as it was a few years ago :)

6 posts |