Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 19 posts | 
by Larry Shuman on Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:31 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
Why is my nik filters greyed out and unusable when I'm working on a B/W image?

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:40 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I think more info is needed. Is the entire II filter set greyed out, a specific filter? You might try to save your current workspace and then reset the Photoshop preferences file, then reload your workspace and see if that cures the problem. Worst case, you may have to reinstall the Nik filters but without more information, it's hard to tell what might be wrong.

by Larry Shuman on Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:45 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
The whole nik filter set is greyed out. I don't know how to reinstall since I don't have the original disk, I think I downloaded it. Is it still available for free download? Would re booting the system do any good?

by Larry Shuman on Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:47 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
I just uninstalled nik filters. Then I downloaded nik filters and opened a B/W shot and nik filters is still greyed out. I do not have this problem with color shots. I do not know how to reset presences, I looked at it and saw nothing about resetting. I am running a Win 7 Pro system.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:35 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Google resetting photoshop preferences - there are several easy ways to do it. In most cases if you hit Ctrl-Alt-Shift as you launch Photoshop you can do it.

by goldingd on Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:39 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
Well, for starters, Google NIK Complete is avaialable at:

https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

by goldingd on Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:41 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
So, revisiting my copy of NIK, this one on my MacBook. I noticed I had to re-install NIK as the connection between PS and NIK (the plugin) went missing (probably due to an Adobe CC update,). SO the link above worked. Then I brought up an old B&W image (previously created via PS and NIK) and yes the NIK selection tool comes up, And yes Silver Efex Pro is inluded and works (along with the other NIK apps). This on MAC OS

by goldingd on Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:16 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
What mode is the image in?

https://www.namesuppressed.com/support/ ... tive.shtml

https://support.google.com/nikcollectio ... THM/?hl=en

by Larry Shuman on Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:15 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
A new problem has turned up. Bridge has quit loading previews. I have 32 GB memory so that should not be a problem. I've brought forward from Computer/adobe/photoshopCS6/bridge.exe to the desktop. It would be the newer one since it was reloaded yesterday. My updating is up to date. I can double click the image in bridge and it opens in photoshop like it always did. IS there something in photoshop that might be turned off? I'm lost.

Larry Shuman

by goldingd on Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:03 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
Larry Shuman wrote:A new problem has turned up. Bridge has quit loading previews. I have 32 GB memory so that should not be a problem. I've brought forward from Computer/adobe/photoshopCS6/bridge.exe to the desktop. It would be the newer one since it was reloaded yesterday. My updating is up to date. I can double click the image in bridge and it opens in photoshop like it always did. IS there something in photoshop that might be turned off? I'm lost.

Larry Shuman

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1341497

by Larry Shuman on Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:53 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
I just checked my preferences "only show images at or below 1000mb" Files that it is not opening are 19, 20, 21MB, so that's well under the setting. These files are NEF or raw. Another file that I created was jpg and they all appear in the preview

by goldingd on Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:41 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
Larry Shuman wrote:I just checked my preferences "only show images at or below 1000mb" Files that it is not opening are 19, 20, 21MB, so that's well under the setting. These files are NEF or raw. Another file that I created was jpg and they all appear in the preview

You are runnng Windows7?

Adobe Bridge display of RAW may be dependent the operating systems ability to do so, if you cannot see those images as thumbnails in Windows Exploer, then you are probably up the creek, as MS is probably doing absolutely nothing to support that old OS.

Other members opinions?

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:18 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
You just need to install the Nikon Codec pack:
http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/e ... Codec.html

by Larry Shuman on Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:38 am
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
I have downloaded the Nikon Codex pack. Restarted the computer and went to the affected file. Opened the file and clicked on several images one at a time. They opened just fine for a while. I clicked on a 17mb file and no preview, Went to several others and no preview. I have 32 GB of memory. Rather than opening quickly is it taking a lot more time opening. Could there be a hangup somewhere in the memory? With 32 GB of memory I don't think thats the problem.
I opened other D800 files from May that are 47GB and they show in the preview just fine

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:41 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
These are D800 files on CS6?  The D800 does not generate 19GB RAW files so these are likely from a camera that came out after CS6 support ended by Adobe and are not supported in CS6.  File size looks like it might be from a D500 or D5 which were never supported by CS6.  You would need CC to see previews of those in Bridge or convert them to DNG.

by Larry Shuman on Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:18 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
Those are files from my D800 that was in crop mode. Depending on light I will get 18 to 22MB depending on light. I thought there might be a problem with the 32 GB CF card. So I went out and reshot. Now these file images open in preview just fine. I am running Win 7 PRO with 32 GB memory with a 1TB hard drive. I am aware that the D5 and D500 will not open on my system unless I go through the steps to nef into DNG. I have no plans to purchase either of those two cameras.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:13 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Hmm, well that should work - I never had a problem with CS6 and shots taken in crop mode with that camera. OK, then I think this might fix it... Go into Bridge and purge the image caches. Navigate to a folder that has some images with these non-previews then click on Tools > Cache > Purge cache for...
Exit Bridge, relaunch Bridge and lets see if the previews get generated!

by Larry Shuman on Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:48 am
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
That worked, I went to the effected file and purged the cache and now I click on a shot and I get instant preview,

Thanks much
Larry

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:49 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Larry Shuman wrote:That worked, I went to the effected file and purged the cache and now I click on a shot and I get instant preview,

Thanks much
Larry
I thought it might.  Here's what likely happened.  You navigated to that folder prior to installing the updates so it created and cached blank previews since it didn't recognize the camera.  Then you installed the update but the cached blank images were already generated so every time you went to Bridge, it just loaded those.  By purging the cache, you forced the program to rebuild the previews but this time with the new updated version of the program that does recognize your camera.

19 posts |