All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by Ed Cordes on Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:55 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
I am thinking of a new laptop.  I want it to be light weight and reasonably fast and able to travel well.  Windows machines are what I am looking at.  I will use it for many hours a day for standard computing - documents, spread sheets, internet, etc.  I will load PS CC and LR CC on it but really don't do any heavy processing.  I upload images from a photo vacation every night - could be 1000 images of high MP sensors and use LR to cull and key word images while in airports or on planes while travelling.  I also do some public speaking so developing and presenting Power Point presentations is a must.

So, what do you think of the Lenovo X1 Carbon 5th Gen with an i7 processor and a 1 TB SSD and Win 10 Pro?  My initial thought is to stay with the standard 8 GB of RAM as that's what I have now and it seems to be adequate. Cost is about $1,600.

Your thoughts are appreciated.  Thanks.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:46 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I would definitely get 16GB, there is marked difference in performance with most imaging software. Memory is not a place where I would skimp these days. You have to ask yourself, if my current system is "adequate" why am I considering a new computer anyway? And if I am, why would I want my new one to have it's hands tied in the same way as my current one? Memory is as big of a factor in total processing speed as processor speed is, and in many cases more, especially with imaging software.

by Ed Cordes on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:41 am
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
Thanks E.J. Good advice as always. I am thinking of a new laptop as my current HP Envy (4 years old) is "acting up". It gets very hot and the fan runs a lot. When this occurs the tasks I am doing really slow down or lock up. I can be typing and the letters will appear 1-3 seconds later. Sometimes the programs will stop responding. This occurs with virtually every program I am using. My uneducated analysis is that the laptop is powered on about 12 hours a day when I am at home. Email, PowerPoint, Word, Excel, are used a lot. When travelling on vacation use the laptop to upload images and, as I mentioned, do a bit of culling as well as key wording. I use PS to do very basic tasks once in a while. After thinking about it the 16 GB RAM makes more sense, which, deep down I knew.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

3 posts |