All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 21 posts | 
by DOglesby on Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:59 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Member #:01155
When Google made it free I think we all saw the writing on the wall.  Now official.  Don't know why they would terminate something that is so outstanding.  

https://www.dpreview.com/news/964995940 ... _nl_262_17
Cheers,
Doug

by Wildflower-nut on Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:45 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
They only wanted snapseed.  Gross income out of Nik to them is like a penny on the street.  They are not going to bother to pick it up. i had hoped they would spin it off to someone else but it may share code with snapseed.

by Royce Howland on Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:57 am
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
Google terminated the Nik plugins for the reasons any other business would, which were predictable at the time of the initial acquisition of Nik. Google is not in the business of making desktop software to any extent, let alone photography editing plugins for Photoshop. The revenue the product brought in (which for some time has been $0 since they were giving the suite away for free -- that was the death knell) couldn't justify the expense of further developing & maintaining the product. Nor did having free Photoshop plugins in the market advance Google's business strategies elsewhere. Simple business equation to get rid of a small annoyance on the bottom line.

It took a few years longer than I expected, which is the only thing about it I find surprising. We saw it coming from the start...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=222320
Royce Howland

by bradmangas on Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:10 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
In a rather odd way I am glad to see this. I have been using the NIK plugins for 5 or more years. They are a very well made piece of software. I think that is the problem. Not Only with the NIK plugins but with most all the one click wonders out today. NIK, Topaz, On One, and there are probably more.

I found myself completely dependent on them, clicking this button or that button to try to get a look I like. The last year or more I have really been trying to stop using them at least to the degree I use to. So much so that recently I purchased Tony Kuypers TK Action Panels. A complete different world when using these panels. A fairly big learning curve. The biggest difference is the user has to make the decision as to what needs to be done to an image and thus forcing complete personal decision making and control. As opposed to clicking a button and let the algorithm decide what to do.  

As much as I like NIK and the ease of the one click result it produces the same result every time. Which is not creative at all and images begin to suffer from a repetitive look. A monkey could click the button and get the same result.

So now it is time I force myself to learn something new. And that is always a good thing.

by StephenFitzpatrick on Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:25 am
StephenFitzpatrick
Forum Contributor
Don't suppose they'll open source it?

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:58 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Here is the petition to try to save it - I've signed:
https://www.change.org/p/google-inc-sav ... e_petition

by Jens Peermann on Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:34 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Just signed.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by richard bledsoe on Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:34 am
richard bledsoe
Forum Contributor
Signed.

by absu on Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:47 am
absu
Forum Contributor
Signed already
Anirban Basu

"Beauty is simply reality seen with the eyes of love" 
— Rabindranath Tagore

Email: anirbanbasu0606@gmail.com

by Mark Picard on Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:51 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Signed
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by DOglesby on Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:29 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Thanks for posting that petition, EJ. I signed it.
Cheers,
Doug

by Ed Cordes on Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:14 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
I also just signed!
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by DOglesby on Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:37 am
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
The Naturescapes' community will be heard!
Cheers,
Doug

by Wildflower-nut on Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:20 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Has google done anything with nik since they bought it or simply continued to offer the same old nik software.  This announcement simply made what was already their policy public.  The only hope is for them to give or sell the rights to someone else.  My guess is that it shares too much code or trade secrets (processing concepts) with snapseed for them to do that.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:29 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Wildflower-nut wrote:Has google done anything with nik since they bought it or simply continued to offer the same old nik software.  This announcement simply made what was already their policy public.  The only hope is for them to give or sell the rights to someone else.  My guess is that it shares too much code or trade secrets (processing concepts) with snapseed for them to do that.
They added the Analog Effex module and kept it up to date with OS and PS changes until about a year and a half ago at which point they abandoned it.  They are just now getting around to announcing that they abandoned it, probably because compatibility issues started to creep in with PS CC 2017

by owlseye on Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:40 pm
owlseye
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Wildflower-nut wrote:Has google done anything with nik since they bought it or simply continued to offer the same old nik software.  This announcement simply made what was already their policy public.  The only hope is for them to give or sell the rights to someone else.  My guess is that it shares too much code or trade secrets (processing concepts) with snapseed for them to do that.
They added the Analog Effex module and kept it up to date with OS and PS changes until about a year and a half ago at which point they abandoned it.  They are just now getting around to announcing that they abandoned it, probably because compatibility issues started to creep in with PS CC 2017

I signed and indicated a willingness to pay a maintenance fee... WRT Photoshop 2017, it seems that a recent update corrected incompatibly issues w/ Nik on El Capitan

by chez on Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:04 pm
chez
Forum Contributor
bradmangas wrote:In a rather odd way I am glad to see this. I have been using the NIK plugins for 5 or more years. They are a very well made piece of software. I think that is the problem. Not Only with the NIK plugins but with most all the one click wonders out today. NIK, Topaz, On One, and there are probably more.

I found myself completely dependent on them, clicking this button or that button to try to get a look I like. The last year or more I have really been trying to stop using them at least to the degree I use to. So much so that recently I purchased Tony Kuypers TK Action Panels. A complete different world when using these panels. A fairly big learning curve. The biggest difference is the user has to make the decision as to what needs to be done to an image and thus forcing complete personal decision making and control. As opposed to clicking a button and let the algorithm decide what to do.  

As much as I like NIK and the ease of the one click result it produces the same result every time. Which is not creative at all and images begin to suffer from a repetitive look. A monkey could click the button and get the same result.

So now it is time I force myself to learn something new. And that is always a good thing.
There is nothing forcing you to use the Nik presets. You can use the tools to tune your images to whatever style you like. Sure you can get lazy with the presets, but that's on you not the tool.
Harry Ogloff

by Jens Peermann on Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:08 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Change.org just reached 14,000 signatures asking Google to keep supporting the NIK Collection. An impressive number, considering that this addresses a rather limited group of users. Still, I have some doubts that it will impress Google.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by Royce Howland on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:13 am
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
14,000 signatures would mean nothing to me if I was the manager in charge of this at Google. They're playing at a level where 10's or 100's of millions of people are significant; 14,000 won't even register as a blip. Plus, the petition still doesn't address the fact that fundamentally Google is not in the business of developing desktop Photoshop plugins.
Royce Howland

by DChan on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:54 am
DChan
Forum Contributor
Royce Howland wrote:14,000 signatures would mean nothing to me if I was the manager in charge of this at Google. They're playing at a level where 10's or 100's of millions of people are significant; 14,000 won't even register as a blip. Plus, the petition still doesn't address the fact that fundamentally Google is not in the business of developing desktop Photoshop plugins.
Hear, hear !

21 posts |