Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 44 posts | 
by Tim Zurowski on Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:00 am
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
James all the answers are in this thread. Support for new cameras was dropped in CS6 when Adobe stopped their support for that program and unfortunately the D500 is not supported by CS6. I new that before I bought the D500 and knew what my options would be. Some options for you are:

1) Download the Adobe DNG converter and convert your NEF files to DNG format. You can then open the DNG file into ACR and then CS6;
2) Pay Adobe $9.99 a month and get the CC version of Photoshop;
3) Purchase Capture One and use it as your RAW conversion and processing software and then finish off your files in CS6; or
4) Get Affinity Photo and use it. Main issue with this last option is it requires a learning curve to learn the program and develop a new way of doing things (same thing can be said for going the Capture One route as well).

For the time being, I am sticking with DNG conversion to CS6, but am also playing with Affinity Photo to get more used to it. When the time comes that CS6 no longer works for me, then I may be ready to move over to Affinity.

by James Vellozzi on Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:23 pm
James Vellozzi
Forum Contributor
Tim Zurowski wrote:James all the answers are in this thread. Support for new cameras was dropped in CS6 when Adobe stopped their support for that program and unfortunately the D500 is not supported by CS6. I new that before I bought the D500 and knew what my options would be. Some options for you are:

1) Download the Adobe DNG converter and convert your NEF files to DNG format. You can then open the DNG file into ACR and then CS6;
2) Pay Adobe $9.99 a month and get the CC version of Photoshop;
3) Purchase Capture One and use it as your RAW conversion and processing software and then finish off your files in CS6; or
4) Get Affinity Photo and use it. Main issue with this last option is it requires a learning curve to learn the program and develop a new way of doing things (same thing can be said for going the Capture One route as well).

For the time being, I am sticking with DNG conversion to CS6, but am also playing with Affinity Photo to get more used to it. When the time comes that CS6 no longer works for me, then I may be ready to move over to Affinity.

Tim
Sorry i missed your post here.. thank you for the help and guidance..
regards
James
James Vellozzi
www.jamesvellozzi.com

by DChan on Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:23 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
DChan wrote:Since I know you use Capture One Pro, E.J., I processed an Olympus raw file with it (version 10.1.2 64 bit) , sent it straight from Capture One Pro to Affinity Photo, 16 bit tiff of course, then used Viveza 2 on it. Worked as expected with no issue.

Now go buy it. What you got to lose ? :D
Thanks, have you tried the 1.6 Beta yet?
I was able to spend more time playing Viveza in Affinity Photo today (including the 1.6 beta). Based on what I found today, I think I should qualify my findings I posted earlier: the colors show when viewed 100% in Viveza. The 100% setting has been my defaulting setting in Viveza and hence when I tested it yesterday the images appeared in color. Zooming out from 100% the colors started to dull and change but not to the extent that the image became a black & white image. So, Viveza still works but you have to view the image in 100% in the Viveza window. A quick search in the Affinity Photo forum showed that it's a known issue.

Also, received an e-mail from Affinity Photo today saying they're getting ready to release version 1.6.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:42 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Thanks for the follow-up DChan. That single bug kept me from buying it back when it had the introductory price as I didn't know if they'd ever get around to fixing it. if they do fix it at some point, please post that :)

44 posts |