Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 44 posts | 
by Tim Zurowski on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:25 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Yes, I already have my Topaz and NIK plugins in AP.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:53 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Tim Zurowski wrote:Yes, I already have my Topaz and NIK plugins in AP.
Can you check if Viveza works right?  When I tried Affinity, granted a very early pre-production version, Viveza gave a black and white screen making it essentially useless since it is a color photography app.

by Richard B. on Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:34 am
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
Member #:01199
Hey Tim,

Let's reverse the question. Does AP do anything unique as opposed to CS6? I'm also interested in how Color Efex Pro plugin works with AP,

Thanks.

Richard

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:42 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Richard B. wrote:Hey Tim,

Let's reverse the question. Does AP do anything unique as opposed to CS6? I'm also interested in how Color Efex Pro plugin works with AP,

Thanks.

Richard
One thing it does that the standard version of CS6 does not (but CC and the CS6 Extended edition does) is allow you to stack a bunch of pictures and take the median pixel value.  this is really useful when taking pictures and there are people moving around.  Say you are taking a picture of a landmark and there are tourists milling about.  By taking many pictures of the subject and then stacking them into layers and selecting the median pixel, all the people vanish.

by Richard B. on Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:07 pm
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
Interesting. Thanks for the reply. I've seen this done with landscape images that had windblown grasses in the foreground. Only partially effective in that situation. Sure would be nice for some popular iconic scenes.

Richard

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:12 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Check out this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPFCpAvzIUo

by Richard B. on Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:20 pm
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
Thank you E.J. Have to watch a little later but it looks to be very helpful.

Richard

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:09 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Do note that was based on a beta and their have been updates since so the bugs he refers to are likely fixed.  Right now I don't have enough downtime until November at the earliest to really get into Affinity in great detail but I do plan on it in the future and when i do I will certainly author something on it.

by Richard B. on Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:57 pm
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
Hell, I thought you were retired!! That's quite a schedule.

by Tim Zurowski on Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:20 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Looks like it may still be a problem in AP EJ. When I open Viveza the sample image in the app loses all the colour. You would think they would have fixed that by now. Even though you can't see the adjustments, it does appear that they take effect once you click OK.

Last edited by Tim Zurowski on Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Tim Zurowski on Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:23 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Richard B. wrote:Hey Tim,

Thanks.

Richard
Sorry, Richard I can't really answer your question at this time since I am just touching the surface of Affinity Photo. My initial impression (and only an impression) was that it may do some functions better than CS6, but I would need to work with the program for a lot longer to be sure. 

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:25 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Tim Zurowski wrote:Looks like it may still be a problem in AP EJ. When I open Viveza the sample image in the app loses all the colour. You would think they would have fixed that by now. Even though you can't see the adjustments, it does appear that they take effect once you click OK.
OK, that's the same behavior as the beta :(
Thanks for checking.

by DChan on Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:07 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Tim Zurowski wrote:Looks like it may still be a problem in AP EJ. When I open Viveza the sample image in the app loses all the colour. You would think they would have fixed that by now. Even though you can't see the adjustments, it does appear that they take effect once you click OK.
Thanks for checking.
Not in my case. Just tested a jpg file in Affinity Photo version 1.5.2.69. Viveza 2 works just fine as it does in CS6 as far as I can tell. Color Efex Pro 4 crashes my CS6 but not Affinity Photo.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:25 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
DChan wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Thanks for checking.
Not in my case. Just tested a jpg file in Affinity Photo version 1.5.2.69. Viveza 2 works just fine as it does in CS6 as far as I can tell. Color Efex Pro 4 crashes my CS6 but not Affinity Photo.
Please try it on a TIF, also are you on PC or Mac?

by DChan on Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:43 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
DChan wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Thanks for checking.
Tested with two tiff files created with DxO Optics Pro. Viveza 2 works as it should be. Saw no loss of colors or anything turned into black and white for no reason. I use a PC.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:56 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
DChan wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
DChan wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Thanks for checking.
Tested with two tiff files created with DxO Optics Pro. Viveza 2 works as it should be. Saw no loss of colors or anything turned into black and white for no reason. I use a PC.
The plot thickens! 16 bit TIF or 8 bit?

by DChan on Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:23 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
DChan wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
DChan wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Thanks for checking.
The plot thickens! 16 bit TIF or 8 bit?

You can download it and try it yourself, E.J.

by DChan on Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:17 am
DChan
Forum Contributor
Since I know you use Capture One Pro, E.J., I processed an Olympus raw file with it (version 10.1.2 64 bit) , sent it straight from Capture One Pro to Affinity Photo, 16 bit tiff of course, then used Viveza 2 on it. Worked as expected with no issue.

Now go buy it. What you got to lose ? :D

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:53 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
DChan wrote:Since I know you use Capture One Pro, E.J., I processed an Olympus raw file with it (version 10.1.2 64 bit) , sent it straight from Capture One Pro to Affinity Photo, 16 bit tiff of course, then used Viveza 2 on it. Worked as expected with no issue.

Now go buy it. What you got to lose ? :D
Thanks, have you tried the 1.6 Beta yet?

by James Vellozzi on Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:27 am
James Vellozzi
Forum Contributor
Tim Zurowski wrote:Currently, I am still using CS6 as my processing software with the D500 files. I convert the RAW files to DNG and then into ACR and then into CS6. This seems to work fine, but I am now wondering about the Adobe CC Subscription version and trying to determine if there will be any benefit to going that route. Can anyone tell me what features are in the CC Subscription that I don't have in CS6? In other words, what is to be gained with the subscription version verses staying with CS6.

Much appreciated
Tim

Hi Tim
I just tried for the first time to open my D500 raw images and bridge and CS6 will not open them.. Being a true novice in computer software I have NO idea what to do. I been reading the thread but not gaining much. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks 
James
James Vellozzi
www.jamesvellozzi.com

44 posts |