Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Tim Zurowski on Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:38 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
I just purchased a new D500 (hasn't arrived yet) and knowing that the latest version of ACR with CS6 does not support the D500 files, I was wondering if I purchased Elements 15, which does support the D500 files, if that would work. Would I be able to use the version of ACR in Elements and then open them into CS6? I hate the thought of going on the Adobe CC monthly subscription, but I hate even more the thought of using Nikon's NXD as my RAW converter. Will this Elements 15 idea work?

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:43 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Yes but that is a very limited version of ACR - there's a lot of things you can't do in Elements ACR. The biggest issue are no lens profiles, no targeted adjustments, no GND, no spot removal, etc - it is a very limited tool set.
https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/mul ... oshop.html

by Tim Zurowski on Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:54 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Thanks EJ . . . . . I figured that may be the case, but thought it worth asking. ACR in Elements may still be a better option than using NXD though.

by Ron Day on Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:46 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
I was faced with the same dilemma. I use Lightroom 6.9 (standalone version, not CC) or the DNG file format. Both work with D500 files. Once my NEFs are converted to DNG, I open the DNG file in ACR of CS6 and process the image just like I would a NEF file. Of course, in the standalone version of Lightroom, your NEFs will be recognized without conversion to DNG format. I prefer ACR in Adobe Bridge CS6 over Lightroom, so I use the DNG format most of the time.

by Tim Zurowski on Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:56 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Thanks Ron . . . . . I forgot about going to DNG. I have the Adobe DNG Converter, but have never really used it. Will the DNG files basically contain everything the NEF files have? This does seem like a viable option when I get the D500. Are there any drawbacks to this?

I downloaded the trial for Elements 15, and as EJ stated, ACR is a very cut down version. Not to mention that I could not see anyway to open the converted files directly into CS6. I did not like Elements 15 or its version of ACR, so that is a no go for me. It will either be NXD to CS6, DNG to CS6 or give in and pay the monthly subscription.

by Ron Day on Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:10 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Tim Zurowski wrote:. . . . .Will the DNG files basically contain everything the NEF files have? This does seem like a viable option when I get the D500. Are there any drawbacks to this? . . . .
This is what Tim Grey said in part about the DNG format in his March 29, 2017 eNewsletter:

"The point is that in terms of image quality and processing flexibility the DNG and proprietary RAW capture options are quite similar, with a handful of nuanced decisions that can be made based on the specific needs and preferences of each photographer."

Personally, I can't tell any difference. Since DNG is free, just download or update to the most recent version, and try it out. In ACR, the DNG and NEF files appear to be handled identically. The only drawbacks I have noticed are (1) a little additional time to use the DNG converter, and (2) maintaining my NEF Files (I have been saving my NEF files, in case I decide to go to the monthly subscription of CC). 

So, I'm not a total fan of DNG. I would love to convert my NEFs in ACR CS6. But DNG is working for me now, and the image quality is very close. 

6 posts |