A Brit-A Broad

by DChan on Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:33 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Not so good news for XQD,,,,D500...

by Tim Zurowski on Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:46 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Dave Courtenay wrote:I am and always have been a Sandisk user but i know lexar cards are popular

https://petapixel.com/2017/06/27/r-p-lexar-memory-cards
I didn't think Sandisk made an XQD card? Regardless, isn't the Sony XQD card okay?

by ricardo00 on Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:33 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
No Sandisk (which is now part of Western Digital since it got bought out) does not make an XQD card (and never did). The Sony XQD cards are fine, but it is never good to have only a single producer of a product. The fact that Lexar is discontinuing the production of all Lexar products (not just the XQD cards) indicates that it has nothing to do with the XQD card viability per se. Maybe one should stock up on XQD cards now before the Lexar (which is owned by Micron Technology) cards are gone and Sony can charge whatever they want.

by chuckkl on Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:39 pm
chuckkl
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:Not so good news for XQD,,,,D500...
I have been using Lexar XQD....32 MB and 64 MB....for just over one year, now...with my D500

Fantastic...really nails the warblers and flying herons, this spring

by david fletcher on Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:35 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Not splitting hairs, but there is a subtle and important difference, but it's not Lexar, it's Micron .... (same result though)...

Quote"  Micron announced that they will discontinue the Lexar removable storage retail business which includes also Lexar memory cards. Here is the official statement:

Micron Technology today announced that it is discontinuing its Lexar® retail removable media storage business. The decision was made as part of the company’s ongoing efforts to focus on its increasing opportunities in higher value markets and channels.  "

That's Flash drives, cards, readers, etc  as Ricardo said.  

The important point being and one of hope is that some enterprise may take the opportunity to buy Lexar. As Micron appears to be actively trying to sell Lexar, maybe, Lexar may not die...   ("Micron is exploring opportunities to sell all or part of the Lexar business.")
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:42 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The biggest impact, in the short term is to XQD card users as it leaves Sony as the sole supplier so there won't be any competitive pricing for a while. Sandisk put it's eggs in the CFast basket.

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:32 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
New info on Lexar:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News ... News=21165

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:29 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Yeah I saw that the name was bought by a Chinese company. Not sure what that means for warranty claims. Also, we can't assume that a new Lexar card will have the same performance or quality as a Micron Lexar card has/had.

by dougc on Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:59 pm
dougc
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:Not so good news for XQD,,,,D500...
This opinion is based on what exactly?

by MND on Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:07 am
MND
Forum Contributor
I have a 64Mb Lexar card and went onto the B&H site to order another. They are currently backordered. I purchased a Sony XQD instead, it was more expensive. I hope my Lexar reader will be able to read this Sony XQD. Anybody know for sure?

Thanks

by signgrap on Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:35 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
MND wrote:I have a 64Mb Lexar card and went onto the B&H site to order another. They are currently backordered. I purchased a Sony XQD instead, it was more expensive. I hope my Lexar reader will be able to read this Sony XQD. Anybody know for sure?

Thanks
Look up the card reader online and see if a XQD card is compatible.
Dick Ludwig

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:08 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
The reader should not have a problem reading the card.

by Dave Courtenay on Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:47 am
Dave Courtenay
Forum Contributor
I read a article from Moose Peterson where he was advising people to use the Lexar XQD cards, I wrote to him asking why he would do apart from being sponsored as they are stopping production and he said they would continue to produce the Pro cards,

Dave
http://www.wildlifeinfocus.com

A Brit-A Broad

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:26 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Dave Courtenay wrote:I read a article from Moose Peterson where he was advising people to use the Lexar XQD cards, I wrote to him asking why he would do apart from being sponsored as they are stopping production and he said they would continue to produce the Pro cards,

Dave
Moose Peterson is not exactly the best source of semiconductor industry news...

Yes it is possible that Longsys, the company that now owns the Lexar brand name, will make XQD cards.  Longsys, a Chnese company, acquired the brand name Lexar from Micron technologies, an American Company.  But they won't be made by the same company or on the same technology or in the same factory or anything else.  They will be Longsys flash memory cells, not Micron flash memory cells but with the Lexar brand name on them.  While Longsys has been in the game for a while making their own and a lot of third party flash memory products, one can simply not say anything good or bad about XQD cards made by them because to date they have not ever made any.  Currently the only memory cards that Longsys makes are SD and Micro SD.

That said, Sony invented the format and therefore, by definition, is 100% compatible with the XQD format.  Why would you not buy them if you need a new card, at least until the uncertainty about Longsys/Lexar XQD cards is clearer?

by MND on Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:54 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
Just a quick confirmation on the Sony XQD card in a Lexar reader. They work fine.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:51 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
The new Lexar (now a subsidiary of a Chinese company, no longer part of Micron Technologies) has now confirmed that they will resume production of Lexar XQD cards.

17 posts |