Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
by hcarl on Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:07 am
hcarl
Forum Contributor
I have PS6 and use ACR to process raw files from my D800 and D300 and am considering a D500.  What program do I need to process the D500 nef files?  hcarl

by bmstsm on Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:03 am
bmstsm
Forum Contributor
Nikon NX-D, free and gives the best nef conversion. Just convert and finish off in photoshop.
Download from Nikon. Not the fastest but what's the hurry.

Tim
"If at first you don't succeed don't be a sky diver"

by Mark Robinson on Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:19 am
Mark Robinson
Forum Contributor
+1 for NX-D. Also, you might want to download View NX-i to browse files, zoom in, etc. It's free also.I have found that Nikon software handles Nikon colors much better than other converters.
Mark Robinson
http://www.critterlight.com

by absu on Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:40 am
absu
Forum Contributor
Capture one pro may be explored but it is not free
Anirban Basu

"Beauty is simply reality seen with the eyes of love" 
— Rabindranath Tagore

Email: anirbanbasu0606@gmail.com

by david fletcher on Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:15 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Been getting away with that rogue company PS CC adobe bridge. not for any other reason than I know it, but the great thing about the site here, is you get options and info.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:05 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I use Capture One Pro for 90% of what I need to do to D500 files and then RAW convert them with it and finish in CS6.

by hcarl on Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:58 pm
hcarl
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:I use Capture One Pro for 90% of what I need to do to D500 files and then RAW convert them with it and finish in CS6.
Thanks for replys  to question on processing D500 files.  Dropped my D800 so am now in need of a new camera so doing a bit of research to see what I am going to need to go to a D500.  A D7500 has been suggested to me but after reading E.J. post on that camera I have some doubts.  hcarl

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:40 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
The D7500 is fine but you can get a D7200 that will do the same thing at slightly higher resolution and a lot less money.  The only compelling reason to get a D7500 in my opinion is if you need a deeper buffer but if the D800 was OK in that regard for you then so will the D7200 be.  I would make the same comment for the D500 but expand it to include AF.  If you do not need the fastest AF system in the world and don't need the buffer depth of the D500, the D7200 might just be the best camera for the money you can get.  But in your case, since you are alrady used to full frame, a D750 might be your best value.

by hcarl on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:41 am
hcarl
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:The D7500 is fine but you can get a D7200 that will do the same thing at slightly higher resolution and a lot less money.  The only compelling reason to get a D7500 in my opinion is if you need a deeper buffer but if the D800 was OK in that regard for you then so will the D7200 be.  I would make the same comment for the D500 but expand it to include AF.  If you do not need the fastest AF system in the world and don't need the buffer depth of the D500, the D7200 might just be the best camera for the money you can get.  But in your case, since you are alrady used to full frame, a D750 might be your best value.

E.J.  Thanks for tips on a new camera.  Even though I have shot with the D800 for a few years now I usually use it in the 1.2 crop so having a FF camera is not that important for me.  Not going to rush into buying a new body so for now will use my D300 and enjoy the 8 fps while shooting Hummers in the back yard.  hcarl

by Tim Zurowski on Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:38 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Hi Carl. I will second EJ's suggestion for the D7200. Fantastic camera for the price. I have been shooting almost exclusively with my D7200 for over two years now and really have no complaints. ;)  I may get a D500 in the future on the used market, but I see no need as the D7200 does everything I need with 4 more megapixels at half the price!

With regards to the converting of D500 RAW files, Nikon's NX-D to CS6 will work fine, but NX-D is really a terrible program. Capture NX-2 was much better, but Nikon dropped that software for NX-D. I do like Adobe ACR much better, but unfortunately you would have to go on the monthly Adobe subscription plan to get that for the D500.

by hcarl on Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:53 pm
hcarl
Forum Contributor
Tim Zurowski wrote:Hi Carl. I will second EJ's suggestion for the D7200. Fantastic camera for the price. I have been shooting almost exclusively with my D7200 for over two years now and really have no complaints. ;)  I may get a D500 in the future on the used market, but I see no need as the D7200 does everything I need with 4 more megapixels at half the price!

With regards to the converting of D500 RAW files, Nikon's NX-D to CS6 will work fine, but NX-D is really a terrible program. Capture NX-2 was much better, but Nikon dropped that software for NX-D. I do like Adobe ACR much better, but unfortunately you would have to go on the monthly Adobe subscription plan to get that for the D500.
Evening Tim:  Thanks for advice on choice of new camera.  I will be comparing all these different options and will make a decision in the near future.  Both you and E.J. putting the D7200 as a good choice for the money as well as for the capabilities of the camera put it high on the list.  On another front, how is the Rufus numbers down your way.  Has been slow here at my place.  Hope it picks up.  hcarl

by rb_stern on Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:07 am
rb_stern
Forum Contributor
A slightly tangential question. I hope that's ok. I'm thinking of getting a D500. I use a Macbook Pro retina for processing my files (Raw, Fast Raw viewer, Lr cc). The blurb on the Apple site says that the OS (I have Sierra) only supports the Raw-L format for the D500. I want to be able to see the thumbnails and full images on my Mac, like I can with my D7100 files, before processing them. So what is Raw-L?

Thanks, Richard
Richard Stern
Nova Scotia, Canada
richard-s.smugmug.com

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:03 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
rb_stern wrote:A slightly tangential question. I hope that's ok. I'm thinking of getting a D500. I use a Macbook  Pro retina for processing my files (Raw, Fast Raw viewer, Lr cc). The blurb on the Apple site says that the OS (I have Sierra) only supports the Raw-L format for the D500. I want to be able to see the thumbnails and full images on my Mac, like I can with my D7100 files, before processing them. So what is Raw-L?

Thanks, Richard
It won't affect you at all - it means that it supports the regular RAW files, it just won't prview small RAWs which you aren't using judging from what you have written.

13 posts |