« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 17 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:06 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Apple recently announced that there new OS will stop supporting 32 bit software in 2019.  The Bridge module in CS6 is a 32 bit app that will not work if you continue to update your Mac OSX starting in 2019.

by Mike in O on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:53 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Not a coder but isn't there away of just doubling 32 to 64 so that app would be readable for Mac?

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:45 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Mike in O wrote:Not a coder but isn't there away of just doubling 32 to 64 so that app would be readable for Mac?
No it's definitely not that simple.  Note that Windows continues to support 32 and even 16 bit apps and there is now current plan to stop that. This is Apple once again obsoleting stuff which they are better at doing than just about anything that they do.  Of course this will also apply to any other 32 bit software, most people run a whole lot of things that are still coded for 32 bit.

by Kerry on Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:02 pm
Kerry
Forum Contributor
Not a Mac OS user so this doesn't impact me directly, but...why is Apple doing this? What's their rationale?

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:15 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Kerry wrote:Not a Mac OS user so this doesn't impact me directly, but...why is Apple doing this?  What's their rationale?
It's what Apple does, they are famous for obsoleting things - ask the Aperture user.  They dropped support for legacy apps that ran on the Motorola based Macs a couple of OS iterations ago, etc...

by Rocky Sharwell on Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:21 am
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054
Was thinking of a new iMac but this caused me to pause
Rocky Sharwell

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:49 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Rocky Sharwell wrote:Was thinking of a new iMac but this caused me to pause
Just don't update the OS after 2018. ;)

by Royce Howland on Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:10 am
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
Kerry wrote:Not a Mac OS user so this doesn't impact me directly, but...why is Apple doing this?  What's their rationale?

It's not a rationale as such, at least not to do with this specific case. Rather, it's a deep corporate culture of "burning their boat on the beach". As E.J. notes, Apple routinely obsoletes previous technology. (Headphone jacks or USB ports? Who needs them...) Apple mostly looks forward, not back, so the concept of "backward compatibility" is not really something they prioritize. One of their major, overriding design & architecture principles is to regularly move to new platforms, and not carry any more baggage from the past than absolutely necessary to support the current generation of product.
Royce Howland

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:41 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Here is the first mainstream photo media article on this that I've seen:
https://petapixel.com/2017/06/19/photog ... on-issues/

It looks like a lot of stuff us photographers use will break if not update and some won't be updated! 

This will spell my abandonment of the Mac platform - I now only run one Mac, my kitchen iMac anyway.  My main workstation has always been Windows for a number of reasons and I transitioned from Apple to a Windows based platform for my mobile computing about a year and a half ago since Apple simply did not offer performance in a laptop that is even remotely adequate for what I needed at the time.

I'll still be an IOS user but OSX will be gone from my life by 2019 as things stand right now.

by Anthony Medici on Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:05 am
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
E.J. Peiker wrote:It's what Apple does, they are famous for obsoleting things - ask the Aperture user.  They dropped support for legacy apps that ran on the Motorola based Macs a couple of OS iterations ago, etc...
That was Snow Leopard, which was OS/X 10.6. I still have a machine with that OS loaded though I haven't used it for anything in years. (I did recently check to see if the machine booted and it is still working...)

I have two machines running 10.10 since I really didn't like changes above that. I think at this point, I will end up with a machine running the current OS 10.12. I'm not sure when or if I'll upgrade when the next one comes out. That's disappointing since I haven't used a Windows machine since I retired 3 years ago, and I haven't used one at home in twice that much time or longer.

I really do not want to go back.
Tony

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:25 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I can still run 8 bit programs written for the original PC DOS, command line programs, on a Windows 10 machine!

by Anthony Medici on Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:22 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
E.J. Peiker wrote:I can still run 8 bit programs written for the original PC DOS, command line programs, on a Windows 10 machine!
Ok, I'll bite. Do you still need to reinstall every program when you buy a new machine or can you simply copy it from the old machine?
Tony

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:29 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Anthony Medici wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:I can still run 8 bit programs written for the original PC DOS, command line programs, on a Windows 10 machine!
Ok, I'll bite. Do you still need to reinstall every program when you buy a new machine or can you simply copy it from the old machine?
There's a migration path - you don't need to reinstall although it is often a good idea to do just that.  Apple's is a bit slicker though.

by LHays on Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:13 pm
LHays
Lifetime Member
Member #:00040
I'm in need of a new Macbook Pro or was leaning toward an iMac. I have been exclusively (except for the school where I taught) an Apple user. I honestly don't want to learn a new system now. So, can someone give me a list of basic software that will no longer be usable with the change? I went with the subscription for Photoshop (unwillingly I might add) and use an older version of Microsoft Office.
Lana Hays
NSN 0040
[url]http://www.lanahays.com/[/url]

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:19 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
LHays wrote:I'm in need of a new Macbook Pro or was leaning toward an iMac.   I have been exclusively (except for the school where I taught) an Apple user.   I honestly don't want to learn a new system now.  So, can someone give me a list of basic software that will no longer be usable with the change?   I went with the subscription for Photoshop (unwillingly I might add) and use an older version of Microsoft Office.
Lana, if you go to the Petapixel article I linked above, they show you how to determine what programs that you are using that are not 64 bit.

by LHays on Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:28 pm
LHays
Lifetime Member
Member #:00040
Thanks, EJ.
Lana Hays
NSN 0040
[url]http://www.lanahays.com/[/url]

by Anthony Medici on Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:32 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Also remember, that if you buy before the upgrade that locks out 32 bits, you could stay on that OS until the machine dies.

I'm planning to get a new machine before then and set it up for using the older programs. Of course, I have my older machines for that but a new machine will mean it is less likely to break until the software I want has been upgraded or I've found replacements for all of those programs. My feeling is, like my Mountain Lion machine, it will be with me a long time. Right now, a good 40% of the software I use the most aren't 64 bit.
Tony

17 posts |