Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by Bruce Sherman on Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:53 pm
Bruce Sherman
Forum Contributor
I have been posting pics on PBase for several years and recently noticed something. It could have been happening all along and I just didn't notice.

When I compare one of my images on PBase to the same image in PS CC (at 100% size), the PBase image is larger on my screen than the image as seen in PS. Because of this it doesn't look quite as good on PBase as when I view it in PS.

I have tried different settings (my default setting is to save it in PS to 72 dpi with the largest dimension being 800 pixels) and then save for the web with a final size of about 200 KB. I have copied (just for test purposes) images from other PBase users and have found all kinds of settings on those images - anywhere from 1,000 dpi and a maximum dimension of 0.8" to 100 dpi or 200 dpi and a maximum dimension of 1,000 pixels.

Any and all comments/suggestions would be welcome. Thank you.
Bruce Sherman
[url]http://www.pbase.com/brucesherman[/url]

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:52 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
DPI or PPI has no bearing on how an image displays on the internet - only total pixel dimensions matter. Figure out what pixel dimensions BBase is displaying the images at and prep your images at that size and everything should be perfect.

by Anthony Medici on Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:43 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
You say your looking at the images in CC. What are you using for the local comparison? The jpg you originally sent to pbase? The RAW file? Something else?
Tony

by Bruce Sherman on Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:58 pm
Bruce Sherman
Forum Contributor
Anthony Medici wrote:You say your looking at the images in CC. What are you using for the local comparison? The jpg you originally sent to pbase? The RAW file? Something else?
Tony,

Here's how I am making the comparison:
1. I close all images in PS CC.
2. Still with PS CC open I open the JPG image that I posted to PBase (72dpi, 800 pixels vertical x 667 pixels horizontal). I have the zoom setting at 100%.
3. I go to my PBase gallery using Firefox and select the image that I had put on PBase.
4. I toggle back and forth between PS CC and PBase and it is very obvious that the image displayed on PBase is substantially larger than the image displayed in PS CC. To be exact, the PS CC image is 16.5 cm wide on my monitor while the PBase image is 21 cm wide on the same monitor.

My monitor screen resolution is set at 1920 x 1080 and the monitor screen is 47.5 cm wide. If you do the math my PS is displaying the image at the correct proportions (16.5 cm/47.5 cm = 0.34 and 667 pixels/1980 pixels = 0.34).

In response to EJ's suggestion, I copied the image from my PBase page, saved it, and then opened it in PS CC. The file size and dimensions were exactly the same as the original image before I posted it to PBase.

I have checked all the PBase settings that I can find and there is nothing I can find that would be causing this. They do have a forum - doesn't look like it gets used a lot - and I will try there.

Thanks for your and EJ's suggestions.
Bruce Sherman

by Anthony Medici on Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:36 am
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
I'd download the image from pbase (in a different folder or with another name) and compare the two in photoshop. That way you eliminate the browser from the equation. If they aren't the same then, pbase (like Facebook or Twitter) probably recompresses the file when stored. If they are the same, the browser is doing something to the image.
Tony

by Royce Howland on Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:04 am
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
I doubt PBase is doing anything here to cause this. They do create different sized thumbnails of your image upon upload: small, medium and large. The large is 800 pixels which happens to match what you're uploading, so there's no resizing going on if you have PBase set to display images in the large (or original) size. An 800 pixel image will be displayed as 800 pixels across, according to PBase's web page. I just checked a few of your images and verified this.
http://www.pbase.com/help/image&id=334

The most likely thing I can see that would change the scale of the image as displayed on your screen is a setting in your web browser. On Firefox, for example, you can scale web pages smaller (to fit more content on a small screen) or larger (to make things easier to read). You do this with the same keyboard shortcuts used by Photoshop; on my Windows machine those shortcuts are "control -" for smaller, and "control =" for larger. "Control 0" (zero) will reset the browser to its default state, neither scaled up nor down. If at some point in the past your browser had been scaled to display content larger, then an 800 pixel image in the web browser will be physically larger on screen than if that identical image file is displayed non-scaled in any application, including Photoshop. So check your browser scale setting and see if that's it.

Side note: As E.J. said, forget about PPI / DPI for the purposes of image display on monitors, projectors and any other purely digital display device. PPI / DPI is relevant only for print, or within layout programs where you're prepping a file for print. On the web, inches and PPI / DPI is meaningless and trying to work it out just adds confusion. All that matters is the pixel dimensions of the file being displayed, and whether the application doing the display is re-scaling the image somehow or displaying it at its native resolution. If the latter, then an 800 pixel image file will be displayed with 1 image pixel per monitor pixel, regardless of how many inches the monitor has.
Royce Howland

by Bruce Sherman on Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:38 am
Bruce Sherman
Forum Contributor
Royce Howland, you're da man!

You were right on regarding your suggestion to resize the screen on Firefox. I hit "control -" one time and the picture size on PBase matches what I am seeing in PS exactly.

Thank you very much.

Once again, a great example of why I keep my NSN membership.
Bruce Sherman

by Royce Howland on Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:34 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
Swish! LOL! :) Glad that worked, Bruce...
Royce Howland

8 posts |