All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by Rocky Sharwell on Wed May 24, 2017 10:03 am
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054
I was wondering what experiences have been with alternatives to Adobe products for processing.  I still use Lightroom and PS--but have started to like MacPhun Luminar.  I wondered about On1 as well as the newer Topaz product.  Many really seem to like Capture One--but it has stumped me..
Rocky Sharwell

by SantaFeJoe on Wed May 24, 2017 10:58 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
There have been a few threads here on the subject or similar. In the search bar enter "Capture One" or "PS" or "LR" and some of them will come up. Here's one link:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=265562

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Wed May 24, 2017 11:01 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Affinity Photo seems to be the most complete Photoshop alternative now - still a few little issues to address but overall it is a very full featured replacement. As for the front-end, I still think that Capture One Pro is by far the best RAW converter on the market and it isn't even close but many prefer the asset management functions in LR, partly just because they are more used to it. What I like about C1 from the asset management side is that you can use it in a manged library mode like LR, or a Session mode, or a folder structure mode like Bridge. But on the RAW processing side, there really is no comparison in my opinion.

C1 shouldn't stump you, there are more webinars, training videos, online course etc available for it than you could watch in a month of 8 hours a day training :)

by EGrav on Wed May 24, 2017 11:26 am
EGrav
Forum Contributor
The latest version of C1 Pro has made some DAM improvements (for those who want a DAM). I tried to import my LR catalog into C1 Pro in previous versions and had problems. So I just used my LR for asset management and processed in C1 Pro.
Now, I have dumped LR entirely, and my catalogs are in Capture One Pro. I should note that I agree with EJ in that C1 Pro is so much better than LR, and I only imported keywords. I can re-process any images that need to be on an individual basis. This may not work for everyone.
Also, it shouldn't be much longer before I can dump PS as well. As soon as one of the other programs can handle complicated luminosity masks (as in Greg Benz' or Tony Kuyper's Panels), PS will be history for me.
Of course, maybe Adobe will wake up ....

PS I watched the C1 Pro Webinars (about 6-7 hours) and that's all you need to understand C1 Pro. Taking a little while to get the C1 Pro keyboard shortcuts, but you can customize them easily. 

:)

Last edited by EGrav on Wed May 24, 2017 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Rocky Sharwell on Wed May 24, 2017 11:29 am
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054
E.J. Peiker wrote: 

C1 shouldn't stump you, there are more webinars, training videos, online course etc available for it than you could watch in a month of 8 hours a day training :)
There are a lot of video materials - but I learn way better by print. I do have one C1 book but hated the small print.  I now have reader glasses from CVS to help with that issue. 
Rocky Sharwell

by Kim on Wed May 24, 2017 5:52 pm
Kim
Forum Contributor
What price are you paying for the software in the US. Here is Australia is seems to be over $600. or on subscription over $250.00 plus upgrades on top of that? Seems like a lot of money unless you are earning your living with it.

by Mike in O on Wed May 24, 2017 6:11 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Try different ones, they all have a trial period. No way will you be able to enjoy C1 right out of the gate. DXO is great if you don't enjoy sitting in front of a computer (plus its noise reduction is the best). The most fun one to play with is ON1, but they are having teething problems but in the long run, I think they are a viable alternative (they tie in to adobe quite nicely).

by DOglesby on Thu May 25, 2017 5:27 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Member #:01155
Does C1 allow you to have collections and smart albums similar to Lightroom?
Cheers,
Doug

by EGrav on Thu May 25, 2017 5:44 pm
EGrav
Forum Contributor
DOglesby wrote:Does C1 allow you to have collections and smart albums similar to Lightroom?

Yes

by Vivek on Fri May 26, 2017 9:05 pm
Vivek
Lifetime Member
Member #:01186
DOglesby wrote:Does C1 allow you to have collections and smart albums similar to Lightroom?
Also, does C1 deal with LR generated sidecar files? Just curious, I might switch some day, but not any time soon.
-- Vivek Khanzode
http://www.birdpixel.com

by signgrap on Fri May 26, 2017 9:24 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Vivek wrote:
Also, does C1 deal with LR generated sidecar files? Just curious, I might switch some day, but not any time soon.
Yes C1 reads LR sidecar files as C1 uses its own sidecar files. Ratings, color flags and most LR keywording can be read by C1. I do not import the any adjustments as some of them get screwed up by C1 since they work differently. I prefer to make all the adjustments within C1 as gives you more control and better results than LR. 
Dick Ludwig

11 posts |