All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 27 posts | 
by joseph motto on Sat May 27, 2017 8:19 am
joseph motto
Lifetime Member
Member #:00091
In the process of uninstalling and reinstalling LR 6 (with difficulty) I ultimately retrieved all of my images but the keywords have disappeared. I am told that are not lost forever but can be relocated. Can someone direct me as to how I might retrieve them. OS Windows 7.

I have done a complete search for .lrcat files. I find files from 2015, LR 4. I find files from 5/23 to 5/26 which are the copied and pasted LR 6 backup from 4/30/17. I find no other recent .lrcat files. Apparently when I backed up my only catalog with 200,000+ images to my EHD (and never to my main drive) I was not including the keywords. So it appears to me that I am out of luck in terms of retrieving the huge number of keywords, correct? That is, unless someone has an idea for finding them.
joseph motto
NSN 0091

by Stuart Clarke on Sat May 27, 2017 3:34 pm
Stuart Clarke
Forum Contributor
I am not sure how to fix your case but early on in my Lightroom days I made the huge mistake of listening to a wedding photographer for a lightroom setup, who recommended turning off the catalog setting-metadata " to automatically write to the xmp" I lost a hard drive without a proper catalog backup not realizing that all of the metadata was only stored within the catalog and not written to each file. I am guessing you had this box unchecked otherwise all keywords would have been tagged to each image upon reopening. Have you tried opening the backup catalog to see if the metadata is on that one.

by signgrap on Sun May 28, 2017 7:35 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Stuart Clarke wrote:I am not sure how to fix your case but early on in my Lightroom days I made the huge mistake of listening to a wedding photographer for a lightroom setup, who recommended turning off the catalog setting-metadata " to automatically write to the xmp" I lost a hard drive without a proper catalog backup not realizing that all of the metadata was only stored within the catalog and not written to each file.  I am guessing you had this box unchecked otherwise all keywords would have been tagged to each image upon reopening.  Have you tried opening the backup catalog to see if  the metadata is on that one.
Totally agree about using XMP files. It is like having a backup for all adjustments and keywording for each image.
Dick Ludwig

by goldingd on Mon May 29, 2017 3:06 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
So, Used google on the subject, I found that IF you gave images keywords using LR, then that metadata was stored in the LR catalog, and if you had xmp turnesd on, in the side card file as well. The keywords were not a separate file. Is additional metadata you may have added missing as well?

If, however, you used Bridge to accomplish that, then LR would have no record of that, not sure where those keywords would have been placed. You did populate the keywords via LR correct?

Now if you are talking about keyword sets then those sets are kept in separate files. But I think those are just used as an aid in populating the database (catalog) with keywords.

Any thoughts on any of that?

by goldingd on Mon May 29, 2017 3:11 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
To be clear, you are talking about the actual keywords (tags) for specific images, not a keyword list?

by joseph motto on Wed May 31, 2017 9:29 am
joseph motto
Lifetime Member
goldingd@roadrunner.com wrote:To be clear, you are talking about the actual keywords (tags) for specific images, not a keyword list?
I am talking about the keyword list. When I open LR 6 I used to have a long list of the keywords that I had created over several years. Now I have keyword suggestions, keyword sets, keyword tags as though I had never set up any keywords ever. I have also lost the metadata as the top panel now says "unknown camera" and "unknown lens." I have to assume that all this time there was a box pertaining to keywords and files that should have been checked and wasn't. I have no idea where to go next with this.

I have always backed up my LR catalogs to an EHD and never to the C or D rives on my Desktop for the past several years. When I reinstalled LR I copied and pasted the most recent backup from the EHD which was April 30 You can see from the screen shot that my last backup to the C drive was several years ago.
joseph motto
NSN 0091

by goldingd on Wed May 31, 2017 1:35 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
Hmm, question is where are Keyword Lists are kept. So I did a little experiment, I brought up the LR catalog I am currently working on and edited my Keyword List a bit (added one tag). Exited that catalog and brought up a different one, an older one I have not worked on in a while, looked at the Keyword List, and what do you know, a different list (first catalog a Landscape Photo-shoot/Vacation (with lots of keywords in the list), second catalog an odd catalog I keep for experimenting (and happens to only have four keywords in its list).

Next part of this experiment is to create a new catalog. Will its Keyword List is empty prior to importing. Went and imported some images (from non camera source just to make sure I am not inheriting anything somehow) and still no keywords in the list, Went and imported some images from my current project (first catalog mentioned) and yes keyword tags I had associated with those few images in LR show up.

So the Keyword List is part of your catalogs database. Mind you more established catalogs I have seem to have lots of keywords not associated with any image in the catalog (but in older catalogs) so how do those get populated? Some mystery.

I think you can import/export keyword lists????

by goldingd on Wed May 31, 2017 1:38 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
On the subject of importing keyword lists: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/keywords.html

by goldingd on Wed May 31, 2017 1:41 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
So, bring up a backup or an older catalog (one catalog user or multiple catalog user???) and see if any older catalog has a better keyword list, then go thru the export/import process. Another method might be to populate the text file mentioned in the link previously provided and create a file with all the keywords you want and import that into your catalog????

As for missing camera info? Odd,

by goldingd on Wed May 31, 2017 1:49 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
On "unknown camera" If you import a new image from your normalcy known camera, does LR properly state the camera? Question is did the metadata that is/was part of the original images (as came from the camera) gone missing? Is it a LR issue, or a File issue? Remember that the Camera Info, and Lens Info, is not populated by LR, So is LR having an issue reading that bit of metadata, or did it get stripped from the image file?

And is this true for RAW as well as non RAW?

Edit/ Can you use a different program to read the images Metadata? Perhaps Bridge? Is it missing Camera Data??

Edit2/ And, because searching via Goggle, indicates a good question, In LR looking at the top to sort on camera data (Library Filters) apparently fails, what about on the right for a single image, in library, is camera info missing there as well?

Edit3? With caution: "Read Metadata from File" https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/le ... m-6-5.html

by joseph motto on Wed May 31, 2017 2:59 pm
joseph motto
Lifetime Member
I have one catalog for all my images which number over 250,000. When I reinstalled LR 6, despite my putting in my serial number, Adobe seemed to think I was installing a trial version (which has now expired). A second catalog was created for the RAW yardbirds that I imported since the reinstall. When I go to Bridge I find no metadata (i.e., camera body, lens type, etc). Interestingly the "suggested keyword" show 9 keywords that happen to be ones I had used before..

You have asked several questions and I do not have answers for you. You are dealing with someone who is not skilled and lacks understanding of the ins and outs of navigating through LR. I think I will just have to experiment but I have the sense that, because I failed to include some important step when I regularly backed up my catalogs to an EHD, I have not included the keywords and metadata and have lost it. The only recent (prior to the reinstallation of LR in early May) backup was on April 30 and when I copied and pasted that backup into LR the data has gone missing. I was told that reinstallation would not wipe out my keywords but it certainly seems that that is the case. I was told to find the .lrcat that I was using before the installation but my search showed the latest file of that type was with LR 4 at which time I had less than half the images that I now have.
joseph motto
NSN 0091

by biledgaard on Wed May 31, 2017 3:21 pm
biledgaard
Forum Contributor
Maybe a stupid question: Is the keyword list empty or is the header "Keyword List" in the right panel at all? If it's not there then try right clicking on for example the header "Keywording". A little menu appears - maybe "Keyword List" has been unselected. Just a wild guess....
Kim Biledgaard
Denmark

by goldingd on Wed May 31, 2017 4:21 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
Back to the keywords. Keyword List gone missing, Ok, and I read your previous statement/answers two ways. Keyword List missing, keyword Tags exist, or All and Anything keyword missing (in that case the following paragraph is useless).

If just the list is empty, but the images have keywords, select all the images, in Library left Panel Keyword tags, select all those keywords (this might be an extra step), up in Metadata, select Export Keywords, save this text file anywhere you want. You might want to open this text file up and review it for spelling errors, additional keywords (maybe some you want now, but did not have before). Then in LR go to Metadata, then Import Keywords.

P.S. I forget in your previous post if you were asked to consider optimizing the catalog, not sure if that accomplishes any repairs????

Reinstalling LR, I think even if it thought you had a trial install, should have not corrupted your catalog, something went very wrong somehow.

by goldingd on Wed May 31, 2017 4:25 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
As an afterthought, does a deleted LR Catalog exist in your recycle bin? DO not copy it over the top of anything, if it exists, can you open it? (just double click on it)

by goldingd on Wed May 31, 2017 4:38 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
As an afterthought, does a deleted LR Catalog exist in your recycle bin? DO not copy it over the top of anything, if it exists, can you open it? (just double click on it)

Ack,,, Looking at your screenshot, the images on the right all have "web" as part of their name, are these images JPEGS you exported for publication to the web? are they the RAW files, Edited TIFF files for third party plugins, or JPEG files? If they are just exported files, not your original work, then you may have stripped metadata in the export process (in the export dialog that's an actual option). So how about the originals??

Perhaps a screen shot of your LR in Library model including the right panel with at least one original image selected would be helpful???

by signgrap on Wed May 31, 2017 5:27 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Joseph are you able to locate a folder named "Lightroom Settings" on your hard drive? Usually where the LR Catalog is stored.
This folder contains a folder named "Keyword Sets", this is where keywords are stored.
Dick Ludwig

by joseph motto on Wed May 31, 2017 5:30 pm
joseph motto
Lifetime Member
Here is a screen shot of a DNG file oriole image. You will see that there are 267,000 photos in the solitary catalog on my D drive (the SSD C drive holds no stored images, all are on the D). You will also see that under suggested keywords are nine of my regularly used keywords yet I cannot open up my full keyword group. That grey line at the bottom is the Adobe Genuine Software Integrity Service warning that continues to tell me that my software is not genuine even tho adobe knows it is; I cannot x out so I drag it down to the bottom of the screen.
joseph motto
NSN 0091

by goldingd on Wed May 31, 2017 5:47 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
Ok, some things I notice.

1. Over on the right I do not see the section on Keyword Lists. This might not be that your list are missing, it may be that you simply do not have that list viable. Go to the top and click on Window then Panels and then check keyword Lists.

EDIT: While you are at it check for other Panels off that you want on.

Last edited by NSN_save_goldingd@roadrunner.com on Wed May 31, 2017 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by goldingd on Wed May 31, 2017 5:52 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
Continuing.

2. Over on the right, and I think what I am about to say is unnecessary in your case, but just in case, Under Local Disk D, in the pictures folder, right click and choose Show Parent Folder (but as stated, in your case, probably already are). AND, then right click on it and select Synchronize Folder (might do absolutely nothing if all images are in fact visible) Make sure that Scan for Metadata Updates is included.

Ohh, your catalog section indicates a sync issue??? EDIT: Never mind about that statement about not synced. it relates to LR Mobil. But go and sync to see if some metadata updates occur, and if some missing files occurs (not likely)

Last edited by NSN_save_goldingd@roadrunner.com on Wed May 31, 2017 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by goldingd on Wed May 31, 2017 5:57 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
Continuing

3. That statement about Lightroom Mobil has nothing to do with your LR License, that concerns an extra feature to sync with Mobil devices, Looking at your screen shot, this is not LR CC is it? Its a stand alone copy? LR CC comes with the LR Mobil, LR Stand alone does not but probably places a trial in the application, irritating.

P.S. In LR, click on Help, click on System Info, and you can see LR Version and License (well I am looking at CC, not Full, so maybe different)

Additional edit: If you right click upper left corner on that LR Mobil, you can chhos a differnt bit of info in that corner and make that irritant go away.

Last edited by NSN_save_goldingd@roadrunner.com on Wed May 31, 2017 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

27 posts |