Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by daveeli on Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:06 am
daveeli
Forum Contributor
What is the best tool for removing haze from images? What are the options?
Dave & Eli Schneider

by Jens Peermann on Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:07 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
My favorite is the Pro Contrast filter in the Color Efix Pro collection of the Nik Filter Collections. Unlike the Clear Filters in various other RAW converters it does not create halos around darker objects against a lighter sky.

The Nik Collection is still available for free here.

The note on top of that page warns that it is compatible up to Mac 10.10 and Photoshop CC 2015, but I am using it with Mac 10.12 and Photoshop CC 2017 without any issues. Don't know how well it works with current versions of Windows.

Hope this helps.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by Kim on Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:24 pm
Kim
Forum Contributor
Lightroom has a Dehaze slider under the Effects Tool.

If you use Photoshop create a new duplicate layer of the original layer and go to Image/Adjustments/Black and White.
you should now have the original background layer and the new B/W layer . Change the blend mode of the B/W layer to "Luminosity" and see the image clear yet return to colour. If you need more dehazing flatten your image and repeat the process. If you are comfortable with Photoshop no need to flatten the layers simple create a new blank layer and hold down 'alt' or command on mac while clicking on 'merge visible' then change the blend mode to luminosity again. You can reduce the opacity of the new layer if the second round is too much at 100%.

This method works well on images shot through glass or for hazy images and in Photoshop gives full control over global or spot refinements via masks.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:01 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
ACR has the same feature as the LR feature described above but it must be a CC version.

by Mark Picard on Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:11 am
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:ACR has the same feature as the LR feature described above but it must be a CC version.

+1..... and still my easiest, favorite way of removing haze.
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by david fletcher on Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:24 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Mark Picard wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:ACR has the same feature as the LR feature described above but it must be a CC version.

+1..... and still my easiest, favorite way of removing haze.

+2  
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by DOglesby on Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:01 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Member #:01155
Another vote for the LR/ACR dehaze slider.
Cheers,
Doug

by ChrisRoss on Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:42 am
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
I don't have CC, so attack haze by boosting contrast generally a foggy looking image will be low in contrast. First step is pulling in the black and white point sliders in levels. If more is required a "S" curve tweak is the next thing to try. I tend to use the free set of layer masks from Tony Kuyper to isolate adjustments to highlights/midtones/shadows as required.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:45 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
ChrisRoss wrote:I don't have CC, so attack haze by boosting contrast generally a foggy looking image will be low in contrast. First step is pulling in the black and white point sliders in levels.  If more is required a "S" curve tweak is the next thing to try.  I tend to use the free set of layer masks from Tony Kuyper to isolate adjustments to highlights/midtones/shadows as required.
In addition a bit of vibrance and clarity can be helpful.

9 posts |