« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by P.W.Post on Wed May 10, 2017 3:45 pm
P.W.Post
Forum Contributor
I e-mailed a friend a couple of jpeg's for use on a website dealing with butterflies and moths of New Jersey. I sized the jpeg's to his specifications in Photoshop CC. He receives them with the height and width dimensions unchanged but the file size in greatly reduced from the size I sent them. When he e-mails them back to me they open in PS in the size I sent them, but in the Mac Directory they appeared in the reduced size in which he received them. 

For example:
Buck Moth
Sent at 703.1 KB (sized in PS CC)
Received by him at 81 KB

When e-mailed back to me:
Opens at 703.1 KB in PS
Opens at 81 KB in the Mac Directory

Both using MacMail

Does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it?

Thanks,

Peter

by Neilyb on Thu May 11, 2017 5:53 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
If I open a 266KB JPG randomly from my PC, in Photoshop, Photoshop shows the file size as 2.66MB. Photoshop is "decompressing" the file I guess, ready to be edited. When you Export or Save as, then compression happens and makes that file smaller again.

From your post I am not sure if you are looking at the bottom left of the PS work space for your 703.1KB or are you getting this figure from the Save As/Export dialogue?

his may help. https://creativepro.com/know-your-photoshop-file-sizes/

by SantaFeJoe on Thu May 11, 2017 6:22 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
For larger files, you might consider using Dropbox. I have sent RAW files with no problems and it's possible to even send videos easily. Sometimes when sending larger or multiple images, my email provider asks me to use Dropbox.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Mark Picard on Thu May 11, 2017 11:03 am
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:For larger files, you might consider using Dropbox. I have sent RAW files with no problems and it's possible to even send videos easily. Sometimes when sending larger or multiple images, my email provider asks me to use Dropbox.

Joe

+1
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by Neilyb on Fri May 12, 2017 2:19 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
I do not think the original post is about sending large files, more to do with why the sent files are smaller than expected.

by P.W.Post on Sat May 13, 2017 10:38 am
P.W.Post
Forum Contributor
Neilyb wrote:I do not think the original post is about sending large files, more to do with why the sent files are smaller than expected.
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. Neilyb is exactly right about what my post is about. What I would like to know is:
(1) Why is the same file a different size when opened in Photoshop than when it is opened in the Mac Directory. 
(2) How can the larger file size as shown by PS be preserved when received by the recipient.

Peter

by Neilyb on Sun May 14, 2017 3:53 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
P.W.Post wrote:
Neilyb wrote:I do not think the original post is about sending large files, more to do with why the sent files are smaller than expected.
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. Neilyb is exactly right about what my post is about. What I would like to know is:
(1) Why is the same file a different size when opened in Photoshop than when it is opened in the Mac Directory. 
(2) How can the larger file size as shown by PS be preserved when received by the recipient.

Peter

But where are you getting the file size in PS?

by Jens Peermann on Sun May 14, 2017 7:23 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
P.W.Post wrote:I sized the jpeg's to his specifications in Photoshop CC.
How did he specify the size? File size in KB/MB, dpi/ppi, width and height in inches/centimeters or width and height in pixels?

The last one is the only one that will give him exactly what he wants. Width and height in inches together with dpi/ppi (dots per inch/pixels per inch) will work too because with that information you can calculate width and height in pixels.

Dpi/ppi by itself is meaningless without width an height information. KB/MB is the size of the entire file which contains much more information than just the image and also depends on the amount of detail in the image; a file with a very detailed image will be a lot larger than one containing a simple image of the same pixel width and height but showing a large area of just blue sky (for example).

Only width and height in pixels will give the exact image size (which is the term that should be used instead of "file size").

The 81kb is the size of a temporary preview file that the mac generates. It has no effect on the original image file.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

8 posts |