All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 16 posts | 
by joseph motto on Mon May 22, 2017 3:46 pm
joseph motto
Lifetime Member
Member #:00091
I have been receiving Adobe pop-ups indicating that I have been using [font=adobe-clean, "Helvetica Neue", Arial, sans-serif]non-Adobe software (which was not the case). After lengthy periods of time spent with support we confirmed that my purchases from Adobe were genuine and I was advised to uninstall my current LR and PS and reinstall, a process which gives me discomfort. In any event I did so although finding my way through to the proper download was confusing. At the end I thought I was successful but the product I now have says Lightroom Mobile so I suspect I made an error. Also, the Pop-ups persist. Can someone clarify this for me and perhaps outline the path to a happy solution?[/font]

[font=adobe-clean, "Helvetica Neue", Arial, sans-serif]

[/font]
joseph motto
NSN 0091

by signgrap on Mon May 22, 2017 4:59 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
It would help if you let everyone know if you are using LR Creative Cloud or LR perpetual licence version.
Dick Ludwig

by E.J. Peiker on Mon May 22, 2017 6:14 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Should be no problem, just make sure you save your workspace so that any customization you made to your way of working will be retained. Also make sure you have an up to date backup of your catalog just in case there's a problem. Other than that, I wouldn't be too terribly worried. You could always Google, re-installing Lightroom to see if there are any other hidden gotcha's out there...

by SantaFeJoe on Mon May 22, 2017 6:25 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Could it be about your Adobe Reader or Flash that are fake. There's been a lot of that for quite a while. The message doesn't seem to indicate LR or PS, just Adobe software. Even the message should be verified as to it's source address.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by SantaFeJoe on Mon May 22, 2017 7:48 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here's a link with more info:

https://helpx.adobe.com/genuine/faq.htm ... estresults

Adobe Acrobat is another program that can kick off he message, along with any other Adobe products.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by joseph motto on Tue May 23, 2017 8:18 am
joseph motto
Lifetime Member
I am using LR6 and have not gone to Creative Cloud. One of the problems I have is that, when I go to Adobe to download LR6 I don't see it itemized; everything seems to be CC. There doesn't seem to be an option that I see for just reinstalling LR6.
joseph motto
NSN 0091

by joseph motto on Tue May 23, 2017 8:32 am
joseph motto
Lifetime Member
The LR that opens now when I click on the desktop LR icon is this one which says at the top "Get started with Lightroom mobile." Also, my catalog has >250,000 images and this one only has 92. So I seem to have downloaded some LR other than the one I thought I was reinstalling.
joseph motto
NSN 0091

by SantaFeJoe on Tue May 23, 2017 10:17 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
At the top of your screen it indicates LR6. Don't know about the catalogue but, for the message, check out this link:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1453113

Joe

by E.J. Peiker on Tue May 23, 2017 10:26 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
SantaFeJoe wrote:At the top of your screen it indicates LR6. Don't know about the catalogue but, for the message, check out this link:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1453113

Joe
Looks like that should solve it.  It really sucks when software vendors embed advertising for other products into their programs.

by signgrap on Tue May 23, 2017 2:57 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Joseph, the "Get started with LR Mobile" message is NOT the name of the version you downloaded, it's a little drop down menu that allows you to set up a Mobile version of LR 6 so you can look at your images on your phone I believe (didn't use it so I'm not certain). I saw the same notice when I first set up LR 6 a couple of years ago. I believe you can click the down arrow and then click "don't show this notice again" (its been a couple of years since I did this, so this is my best recollection). In any event I'm certain I had the message when I first installed the LR 6 software and I don't see that message anymore. I'm pretty sure you have downloaded and installed the correct software. The not Genuine Adobe Software is probably referring to some other Adobe software as Joe has mentioned.
Dick Ludwig

by joseph motto on Tue May 23, 2017 3:53 pm
joseph motto
Lifetime Member
Well, I uninstalled the LR6 mobile as it only had my most recent RAW download of 92 images; all previous images, collections, etc were not there. Now when I open my newly downloaded LR6 (not CC) all of my previous folders show up in the left-hand side column, my full catalogue. However, when I open one folder all the images show up with checkmarks and the option to import them These have all been previously imported so they should show up without an import option. Also, there is no collection option and I had many collections. Also, no keywords and I had a gazillion keywords. It will take forever to import each and every folder. I did back everything up to an external drive but I don't see how that can play in here. Any suggestions? What a mess!
joseph motto
NSN 0091

by goldingd on Tue May 23, 2017 9:38 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
First off, I am pretty sure everyone has by now confirmed for you that the original pop up about original Adobe product had nothing to do with Lightroom. By chance, did you ever click on the button "More Info" ??

But moving on.

As stated the "Get started with Lightroom Mobile" is not an advert for Lightroom Mobile, it is a link to start using the feature that could sync your LR with a Mobil copy on your Mobil device, if any. It does not indicate that this is not Lightroom.

But, once again moving on

The 92 files you see listed under Previous Import ares just that , the files you previously imported last time you imported or synced in LR.

Moving the eyes down the left of the screen is "Folders" and under that a folder on one of your hard drives is listed, clearly from an import on a specific date. This is not your entire catalog.

So where is the catalog. Do you remember where you stored your images? Exit LR completely, (based on the screen shot I am assuming Windows) Bring up File Explorer, navigate to where those files were kept, find the previous catalog (some people have one, some people have many, not getting into that argument). The file you are looking for is named something like rumplestiltskin.lrcat (I have no idea what you name your catalog(s) so ...) See if that helps

You may also want to Optimize the catalog (sometimes helps).

As for keywords, etc. well, perhaps a separate post,that one take a bit of thinking, probably a problem with where they were kept vs where LR expects them now. Not all is lost (hope hope)

by goldingd on Tue May 23, 2017 9:40 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
So, I talked about catalogs while you are talking collections. Did optimize catalog help? Did re-looking for correct catalog help?

by goldingd on Tue May 23, 2017 10:17 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
Should have stated this. my bad;

In your LR catalog that you provided the screen shot of, under Folders, that one folder shown, right click on it, from the pop up left click "Show Parent Folder"

by joseph motto on Wed May 24, 2017 8:40 am
joseph motto
Lifetime Member
Thank you all very much. I feel certain the path to normalcy is outlined here. I will be gone for most of today but will start in on what is recommended above when I return and will advise you of the results. Thanks once again. (I only mentioned collections because those were missing as were keywords, etc), and yes, I did click on "get more info" along the way somewhere.
joseph motto
NSN 0091

by joseph motto on Wed May 24, 2017 10:22 pm
joseph motto
Lifetime Member
I have backed up my catalogs to an external drive regularly. I copied and pasted that most recent backup into my D-drive and lo and behold, all of my files have returned. Collections also. The only thing that is missing is the entire keyword group. Over the years I have spent quite a bit of time keywording. I lost them 4 years ago when I upgraded to a new computer and now I seem to have lost them again. The lesson for me: no more keywording.
Thanks to all for your assistance, it is much appreciated.
joseph motto
NSN 0091

16 posts |