Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by jnadler on Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:29 pm
jnadler
Forum Contributor
The suggested  4 drive setup for Photoshop not possible or me and I will have one SSD and one hard drive only. I assume partioning on tge SSD is not smart and doesn't count toward the 4 drive setup of Windows- Photoshop-scratch disk - image files. I am confused on opposing views of keeping Adobe Ps on the SSD. I am reading more cons  than pros, mainly the continual program reading will wear out the SSD quicker than a hard drive install. I planned on Windows and Ps on SSD and files on hard drive, with strong backups. Not sure on scratch disk as well.

I apologize for an old topic but I am finally getting around to an upgrade.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:23 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
In your situation you absolutely want the SSD to contain the OS, Photoshop and your scratch space for performance reasons. Your system performance would be dramatically impacted if you did anything other than that.The HD should contain your iamge files.. It won't wear out the SSD, not within the useful life of the computer and SSD. Modern SSD's all have TRIM which eliminates the biggest part of the problem anyway. In any case, you should not worry one iota about this.

by Royce Howland on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:25 am
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
Yep, I second E.J.'s comments. OS and apps go on the SSD. Also Windows temp space and Photoshop scratch, since these are heavy influencers of performance. If you run other temp space-intensive apps such as stitchers or whatever, put their temp folders on the SSD as well, as long as you have enough slush space on the SSD. You don't say what capacity you're planning for the SSD, but larger will be better because you'll find uses for that space. I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than 512GB if you're only going to have 2 internal storage volumes, with the other one being a spinning hard disk.

Really all that goes on the spinning hard disk is image files and other data, since you probably won't have the capacity on the SSD for any significant amount of data.

Partitioning an SSD indeed doesn't provide any benefit. I don't really recommend partitioning hard disks either, these days. It just adds some challenges by making storage a bit more complicated to manage with more, smaller chunks rather than fewer larger chunks of usable space. This makes backup & recovery setup more complicated, and creates different kinds of failure modes due to having what you think of as independent storage volumes in fact tied together on the same physical device...
Royce Howland

3 posts |